I was thinking about swapping my bridge pickup (an SD Invader) to an SD Distortion. would this be a good idea? I generally play metal (different subgenres), so which one would better fit my playing style?
You realized you asked us which pup would be better for your style, without giving any info whatsoever about your style, right?

Be as specific as possible. What bands have a sound you'd like to get close to, or your like something about?

What guitar is it going in, what amp are you using?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
distortion is probably a fair bit brighter and more classic-sounding, i think. from (pretty hazy) memory.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, i play an old Ibanez RG 170 with the Invader in the bridge already, i generally play Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and maybe some Avenged Sevenfold, i use my bridge pickup basically for the rhythm. My effects include the MXR overdrive (cant remember the actual name), and a Dunlop Cry Baby.
what's your amp?

but yeah for most of those apart from maybe a7x, i reckon the distortion would be better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, the Distortion would be a far, far better choice for those sounds than the Invader.

Also look at the JB, and the EMG 81/85 set.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For that music SD DV Livewire pickups would probably work best. The bridge is a JB on steroids basically
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by Offworld92
Yes, the Distortion would be a far, far better choice for those sounds than the Invader.

Also look at the JB, and the EMG 81/85 set.

I put a distortion in one of mine and I love it for the sounds You are after. I had an invader in there previously.

I think the invaders are better for low tuning, while the distortion for more normal pitches.

For low tuning I am talking B and lower. C could be either but favorable with the invader.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I'm using the Invader I got from you in C Std right now, and I'm not super happy with it. I'm looking for Distortions on eBay right now, actually.

It just doesn't have great definition/clarity, at least not as much as I'd like.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well the distortion that replaced it I like 10x more.

Thinking about putting one in the bridge of my KV-2.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The Invader is one of the worst sounding pickups I've ever heard, to the point of which I'd probably never even consider buying a guitar if it had them installed. The Distortion, on the other hand, is a great pickup, though I still prefer the JB.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The JB is like a more organic SH6. But it has Alnico V magnets and the SH6 has ceramic which make the SH6 a bit more aggressive in nature
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ Yeah pretty much. I've heard (but haven't corroborated) that the winds on the JB and distortion are pretty similar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have not heard Invader personally but the clips I've heard and impressions I've read tell me that its very thick and heavy sounding, some even call muddy. For playing oldschool death metal like Morbid Angel that calls for crushing, doomy tone it may be the pickup to go to but otherwise it divides opinions. Just my two cents on that one.

For the stuff you play I bet the Distortion or JB would be better choices, that I am sure of.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 2, 2014,