I was going to buy my first Opeth album, but i want to know which one would be the best for a new listener?
I'd say go with Blackwater Park. That's when they had their commercial breakthrough. It's easier to digest then than their earlier material and represents their sound better than the latest or say Damnation. So yeah, Blackwater Park. Maybe Still Life after that.

More importantly, next use the recommendation thread stickied at the top of the page. This really doesn't warrant its own thread and it just clutters up the forum.
Gonna go with Blackwater Park as well.

If you want stuff with more of a metal influence, go earlier in their catalog (My Arms, Your Hearse is very good, as is Still Life). If you want things that sounds like Blackwater Park, go for their later records (Watershed is hit-and-miss at best, but Ghost Reveries and Deliverance are really solid). If you like their clean sound and their metal isn't doing it for you, listen to Damnation.
Yeah, I'd say Blackwater Park is a good place to start, no earlier.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
I had trouble getting into Blackwater Park initially, though now it's far and away my favorite of their releases, I think Ghost Reveries might be a better starting point.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
All of opeth... just all of it
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
Quote by robertito696
I had trouble getting into Blackwater Park initially, though now it's far and away my favorite of their releases, I think Ghost Reveries might be a better starting point.

I disagree and agree with everyone else; I think Blackwater Park is a fine starting place. It's where I started and I was hooked pretty much instantly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Still Life is the better album but I wouldn't start there. I would start with Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries unless you don't listen to any other music with harsh vocals in which case maybe Damnation.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB