Evening all.

Not had a guitar for over ten years, was tuning someone's acoustic for them the other day and started hitting a few chords to see how it sounded, and found myself missing it, so going to be getting a few bits and pieces. Friend has a few guitars for sale, two are tele copies, other is a Samick tele style humbucker and he also has a small Fender amp for sale, 8" driver, forgotten the finer details, but he says it's not at all bad for the little thing it is.

Anyway, quite tempted by the Samick, my first guitar was a Samick something or other with a trem, so long ago I've forgotten, but nostalgia being what it is, and the price is OK, I may well take it once I've played it. He's got a few others too, but the prices go up quickly from there. He's a bit of a collector/hoarder, and has some cracking guitars, some of which he payed cracking prices for, but I digress...

The Fender amp has an AUX input, so I was thinking, as I mainly need to practice quietly, I'd use the headphone out, and pump music in to the AUX in so as not to annoy anyone. Do the headphone outputs on amps generally work and sound OK anyone know? If not, I may well get an iRig type thing and just use one of the iOS/Mac apps out there. While on the iRig topic, as there's a myriad of opinions on the iRig, am I as well off getting something like THIS as it seems to work with all the amp/FX software knocking about. Half tempted to look in to guitar - USB adaptors if they're any good (suggestions welcome for budget models).

Anyway, rambled a bit there... Thoughts on headphone outs from amps and generic iRig rigs would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to keep costs down initially, and if I do keep up my guitar this time, I'll invest a bit more down the line.

Thanks all.

Lurch
Some amps sound better than others through headphone out. I suggest you get a decent pair of studio phones. I bought a pair of AKG K44 for $29 on sale and they work just fine for me.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think the headphone outputs would do what you want (I hope your expectations for a really great sound are low though). Adequate for practice. Some practice amps don't have any reverb and that really "dry" sound might wear on you sent right to your ears.

Like Robb says, think about some good headphones if you go that route. You don't want to cut practice short because cheap headphones are hurting your ears!
Thanks! The amp is a Fender Frontman 15G, no 'verb on the unit. I have some Sennheiser HD215 headphones, they're more DJ things, but they were a gift from a Sennheiser dealer I used to do stuff for. Quite a "warm" sound for want of a better term.

Interested in thoughts on that cheap ipod adapter? Think that'd be a handy little practice tool if it'd work with the Ampkit/IK apps.
That is a neat little thing, bit pricey for the moment, I'll give the ipod thing a whirl first. A) budget B) see if I keep it up before investing too much.
You could always forget the amp for now & get one of these. It's a pretty cool unit & you can find them used on Criagslist. I picked one up for $60. Although, I'm not sure you're from the States.
Nothing used on the mini front...

Guitar choice has just expanded... in addition to the others I've seen an Ibanex GAX30, GRG140SB and a Pacifica 112V. All around the £150 mark, new...
So I bought a 112V in Violin Sunburst and a Fender Frontman 15G. Very happy with it all and I've made a start on Justin Sandercoe's beginners' course. It's all coming back to me nicely!
You'll outgrow the Frontman in a month or three. Enjoy it while you still can.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quite possibly! It was a bargain, and as long as I'm keeping up, I'll be happy to upgrade. Having said that, because of neighbours, I can't crank even the 15G, but I'd happily trade for the sound. A valve jobby would be nice!
Very few people start with quality amps from the get go. As long as you're playing that's what matters, you can upgrade later. Good luck with it.
And thanks for the update, it's nice when we get to see the outcome. Usually people ask for advice and then we never hear the result.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification