I'm looking to build Sludge Metal/Stoner Rock rig. I'm currently using a Gibson SG Faded Special for my main guitar but I'm open to new ideas as far as that goes. My main concern is an amp. I'm running a Peavey Bandit 112 hand-me-down from the 90s. It's not in great shape so I need a new amp anyway. Also pedal ideas. I'm looking for a tone in the area of; Electric Wizard, Sleep, and Isis.
the cheapest best rig I can think of is a Laney AOR 30 if you want a combo or get the head version and a decent 2x12 or 4x12 cab. I suggest Celestion G12h30 or clones of them for speakers. G12m25 (greenbacks) on their own won't be great, but a mix of G12h30 and G12m25 sound nice for Stoner/Doom.

Sleep used the Laney AOR for a while so you know it can do their style
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My take on this is an Orange TH30 into the already suggested cab.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I heard either Laney GH or VH could do the trick. Not for Isis tone though, as they use some modern high gain stuff as far as I know (VHT or Fryette.
The old Peavey VTMs are pretty good for this if you can track one down for a reasonable price.

Isis tones are from more modern-minded amps. Maybe a Marshall DSL100h?

You can also go the "fuzz/distortion pedal into loud clean amp" option. Maybe a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh into a Fender Hot Rod series amp.
Quote by Spambot_2
My take on this is an Orange TH30 into the already suggested cab.

Not a good choice, from my hands-on experience the EQ is not very friendly to sludge/doom.

Quote by pinheadslts75
Isis tones are from more modern-minded amps. Maybe a Marshall DSL100h?

VHT/Fryette.

Quote by pinheadslts75
You can also go the "fuzz/distortion pedal into loud clean amp" option.

That should work pretty well, the old Electric Wizard tone was just Boss FZ-2 into whatever amp.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Price isnt really a big deal for me, tho I'd like the keep a combo. Stack is just a bit much for a non-touring musician like myself in my opinion.
Quote by vauzac35
Price isnt really a big deal for me, tho I'd like the keep a combo. Stack is just a bit much for a non-touring musician like myself in my opinion.

The Laney AOR 30 is a great combo but it is really ugly (great sound though)

Marshall JCM800 combo would work fine, but is 3x the price (at least) of the Laney.

The Orange OR15 and a 1x12 cab would work pretty well also, but it is harder to find used and the head runs $699 new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

The Orange OR15 and a 1x12 cab would work pretty well also, but it is harder to find used and the head runs $699 new

What kind of cab?
Quote by vauzac35
What kind of cab?

A cab with a Celestion G12h30 or clone type speaker. You don't want V30's for the tone your after, so I'd stay away from the Orange PPC1x12 (it has a V30). Randall makes a 1x12 with a Greenback which will work pretty well. Egnater makes a 1x12 cab with a G12h30

I have a Epiphone G400 with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB in the bridge and it gets a nice stoner sound. You may want to look at a new bridge pickup, the SG Faded Special had 400T which is pretty meh.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 3, 2014,
Isis only used Fryette VHT and Sig X in the last 2 years of their carreer or so. In Celestial/Oceanic/Panopticon they were using Sunn Model T and Mesas.

Also, as a massive Isis fan I don't think you need a lot of gain to play their stuff. Unless you want to get Mosquito Control/Red Sea era tones.