Read the reviews on the bottom of the page.

Anyway, tab books from smaller bands are typically written by the bands and are 100% accurate, but tab books from bigger band like this one are typically written by other people. The result is usually totally accurate notes, but not necessarily with the same fingerings as the band's players.
Interesting point. How can I get to find out what fingerings the artist play the songs as?

What's more important? Playing the songs how the artist plays them or playing the correct notes?

Do you think it makes any difference? Thanks.
Last edited by jamesiles2004 at Jan 2, 2014,
You can really only tell by actually watching the band play the songs, which is why the experts making this books don't quite get it right. They're just listening, not watching. In my opinion, it's not important to get the fingerings right as long as the notes are right anyway.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
You can really only tell by actually watching the band play the songs, which is why the experts making this books don't quite get it right. They're just listening, not watching. In my opinion, it's not important to get the fingerings right as long as the notes are right anyway.

How would someone verify if Pantera tab books are correct... with Dimebag gone and all?
Just hope that you can finding Youtube videos with a high enough quality to see, and they camera aimed on him for the riffs where the fingering might not be obvious.
Quote by jamesiles2004
Is the BFMV tab book more accurate than the tab books on this website?

I can't speak for BFMV's tabs as I'm not a fan, but I can say that with any tab book I've bought I've found it worth having both the books and the tabs on this site and comparing the two.
Hmmmm... tricky to play a song like the artist does. Not impossible. Why is the book more expensive than the CD?
Quote by jamesiles2004
Hmmmm... tricky to play a song like the artist does. Not impossible. Why is the book more expensive than the CD?

It's tricky, but honestly completely unnecessary. Playing the notes on different strings or with different fingers from the original artists won't change the sound.

This is a very generous price for a tab book. I've never spent less than 20 USD, about £12 according to the convertor I'm looking at, on a tab book. They're typically pretty big books, and the the money made has to go to quite a few people, the business selling the book, the publisher, the transcriber, the band, the band's label, etc.
A lot of time artists do not play the song the same way live as on the record.

Just an example Angus a lot of time doesn't pick the intro to Thunderstruck when play live but you can hear it on record.

Also a lot of guitarists double track, doing different things on the other track which would be impossible to play live... So honestly tab book are fine. Just play along with the song after you learn it and listen.
Quote by jamesiles2004
How would someone verify if Pantera tab books are correct... with Dimebag gone and all?

youtube live videos.
Once you learn enough tunes by a particular player you'll start to pick up on a player's eccentricities and patterns in their playing, for example, James Hetfield almost always plays power chords on the lowest two strings if possible, so some of the parts in the Metallica tab books are wrong, although Metallica tab books with a few exceptions are among the most accurate around, the one for Death Magnetic is near flawless.

I have alot of tab books I have two Pantera books one for the Cowboys from Hell album and one for Greatest hits, one of them has the Cowboys From Hell riff played in the right position the other does not, the only way to be sure is pull up a youtube video, which can become difficult if you are trying to learn a lesser known song. There are also points when the tabbers gave up, like the solo to Becoming (but can you really blame them).

The only book I would stay far away from is the Megadeth Rust In Peace one, over half of the book is wrong when it comes to positioning and many of the solos are wrong due to Marty Friedman's unique technique. If you need Megadeth tabs go here, http://www.abysslord.com/megadeth/tabs/tab.htm this guy is a saint among men.

For a band like Bullet for My Valentine that book should be fine, I notice that newer tab books tend to be more accurate. Just make sure they didn't **** up the tunings, I've had a few books that did that. A newer band like BFMV that reached their peak in the digital age is sure to have loads of youtube bootleg live videos so it should be hard to figure out the right positioning.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by jamesiles2004
What would you say is harder to play? Children of Bodom, Pantera or BFMV?

Children of Bodom (Alexi is insane, so much speed) > Pantera (although some of Dime's solos are very difficult) > BFMV

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Thanks for the replies all.

Why is the book more expensive than the CD? Pretty crazy. \

I guess it's hard, if not impossible to learn something the band has never played.
Last edited by jamesiles2004 at Jan 3, 2014,
Quote by jamesiles2004
What's the advantage to the book versus free tabs online?

I find it easier to play along to since the books have the traditional music notation in addition to tablature, so you can get a feel for the rhythm without having to go listen to the song again and again. But that's just me.

Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
I find it easier to play along to since the books have the traditional music notation in addition to tablature, so you can get a feel for the rhythm without having to go listen to the song again and again. But that's just me.

I've downloaded the book but on this website it says this:

D|----------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------|
F|----------------------------------------------------------| X6
C|----2-0-2-0-----2-0-2-0-----2-0-2-0--x-x-3-2-0------------|
G|-2-----------2-----------2---------------------3-2-0------|
D|-0-----------0-----------0---------------------------3----|

Whereas on the book I downloaded, it's saying the (2 0 2 0) is tapped (I think). What's correct?
Without having seen the book, I can assure you it's not telling you to tap that. That would make no sense. It's probably telling you to do hammer-ons/pull-offs.
They're both interpretations of the work by someone, not by the actual artist, so you can never be 100% sure it's accurate.
As said before, play both options and listen to see which is closest.....
Quote by xxxxChrisTxxxx
They're both interpretations of the work by someone, not by the actual artist, so you can never be 100% sure it's accurate.
As said before, play both options and listen to see which is closest.....

Hmmmm... how can I get the interpretations by the band? If possible?
Quote by jamesiles2004
The tab on here is telling just to play it normally but the book isn't... what is correct?

If you can't hear which way it's being played then does it matter?
I'm beginning to understand why it's hard to play something the artist has never played live.
Artists rarely play the same thing live as on the album

You need something so you can mix what you're playing on guitar with the CD - some amps have this feature, Tascam do a good 'guitar trainer' or there's PC software - sit down with headphones on and play along with the CD, you'll soon hear if what you're playing is right or not.
Yeah, I guess. Seems like I'm more fixated in bothering learning parts of songs the artist rarely plays. Why is this?
It does feel more official watching/listening to the band, though. Or maybe it's cause I suck on guitar.