So I'm currently fixing up an old favourite guitar of mine. My beloved G-3V, and well I ran into a problem. I'm not exactly the most technical with guitars but I'm unsure of what locking nut this is?

If anyone could help me out with telling me that'd be fantastic! Thank you!
It's one of those older type ones where it's not really a locking nut, just it clamps behind the normal nut. as for specifics, I can't really help, it's way before my time
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
It's one of those older type ones where it's not really a locking nut, just it clamps behind the normal nut. as for specifics, I can't really help, it's way before my time

If it's even before Dave's time, there is no one here who can answer the question.
You might want to google the model to see if there is any information on it.

Can't help either. sorry
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
It looks like a Kahler behind-the-nut string lock, and you probably have a Kahler trem on the guitar, right?

Talk to the folks at www.wammiworld.com, but I think the current equivalent is something like this: http://www.wammiworld.com/p7513.php

It's very likely they'll have any parts that you need.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 3, 2014,
BTW, Wammiworld may have parts for the trem as well. But if you've got the bucks, you could replace it with a newer "convertible" version that allows you to lock the thing down and use it as a stoptail or unlock it and use it in full trem mode. You might also look at some of the options they have for saddle materials; some of them offer better sustain and different tonal possibilities from what you have on there now.
Quote by Tunder250

If it's even before Dave's time, there is no one here who can answer the question.
You might want to google the model to see if there is any information on it.

Can't help either. sorry

I'm not that old
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
It looks like a Kahler behind-the-nut string lock, and you probably have a Kahler trem on the guitar, right?

Talk to the folks at www.wammiworld.com, but I think the current equivalent is something like this: http://www.wammiworld.com/p7513.php

It's very likely they'll have any parts that you need.

I believe it is a Kahler trem, and checking out the links and everything now. Thanks for the help!
knowing what kind of trem it is would help. there were many licensed trems back in the day (80s) that were designed by the maker so would not take replacement parts from the original. some were copies with just enough difference that they wouldn't get sued. finding parts for certain ones may be a bit of a challenge. if you don't care about it being totally original you probably can find a clamp to replace that one that would work.

I am that old and was actually the first guy where I lived to have a Floyd Rose. my tech at the time offered to do my guitars for free just so he could take it apart and see how it all worked (he went on to be a tech for several name rock stars in the late 80s). there were a ton of knock offs etc as I mentioned.
Gibson (and Washburn?) were allowed to rebrand the Kahler. Others (Carvin, etc.) used it as is. I haven't run across Kahler Klones -- the Floyd Rose folks, however, got a lot of that. In fact, one of the best Floyd-Rose-type trems was actually designed and built by Kahler. I'm sort of hoping to see more low-profile racy looking and smoothed-down FR-type trems, now that the patent has expired.
Quote by dspellman
Gibson (and Washburn?) were allowed to rebrand the Kahler. Others (Carvin, etc.) used it as is. I haven't run across Kahler Klones -- the Floyd Rose folks, however, got a lot of that. In fact, one of the best Floyd-Rose-type trems was actually designed and built by Kahler. I'm sort of hoping to see more low-profile racy looking and smoothed-down FR-type trems, now that the patent has expired.

Washburn had the Wonder Bar for a while which was interesting but kinda weird (had a heavily modified Fender Lead 1 that had one installed on it) yeah really don't remember any kahler clones either but they were much more willing to allow companies to put them on their guitars. Kramer had an exclusive for a while with FR.
Quote by monwobobbo
Washburn had the Wonder Bar for a while which was interesting but kinda weird (had a heavily modified Fender Lead 1 that had one installed on it) yeah really don't remember any kahler clones either but they were much more willing to allow companies to put them on their guitars. Kramer had an exclusive for a while with FR.

Floyd was making the trems by hand and demand was ramping up, and he just didn't have the ability to make enough or enough money to go into manufaturing. Kramer had money, and they thought the trem was better than the Rockinger they'd been putting on their guitars till then, so the offered Floyd enough money to get the things manufactured in exchange for an exclusive that lasted until about 1991. Kramer and Floyd Rose also collaborated on a Sustainer very much like the current models of the Sustainiac and the Fernandes Sustainer. In fact that older model is still in the PC-1 Jacksons, and that's about the only place you can find it today. I think Kramer was actually the best-selling guitar in the world in '85 and/or '86, thanks to EVH and the FR trem and the Kramer guitar designs.