First off i dont even know if this is in the right place for this question and if it isnt im sorry i got lost trying to figure out where to do my first thread on here.

Anywhoooo.... I am looking at getting a Jet City jca22h amp for my first tube amp i have a peavey vypyr 30 watt amp right now. I dont know much about cabs and speakers and everything but from what ive been reading people recommend avatar cabs and celestion vintage 30's so i was looking at getting an avatar 212 with celestions v30 or maybe one v30 and one greenback

do you guys think these are a good combo?

i like playing metal like killswitch engage and bullet for my valentine and all that remains and such but i also like blues like joe bonamassa and gary moore and classic metal and hard rock stuff

i am also planning on getting a peavey XXX down the road as well. the jca22h will mainly be for like blues rock stuff
Quote by terminator44
First off i dont even know if this is in the right place for this question and if it isnt im sorry i got lost trying to figure out where to do my first thread on here.

yer in the right place, welcome to UG

Quote by terminator44
Anywhoooo.... I am looking at getting a Jet City jca22h amp for my first tube amp i have a peavey vypyr 30 watt amp right now. I dont know much about cabs and speakers and everything but from what ive been reading people recommend avatar cabs and celestion vintage 30's

imo avatar is definitely a solid choice, excellent bang for buck and i have been impressed with the quality. some people say that an avatar cab is 'good enough' if you can't afford something like a mesa cab, but imo avatar is every bit as good in design, components and quality (though mesa does have some cool cabs, like the old OB/CB 4x12 with the C90's and EVM-12L's, that was a cool cab).

V30's are a popular choice, i don't personally prefer them but they are a great 'all-around' speaker. it will help you stand out in the mix and will be at home in rock and heavier music. even has an adequate clean tone (that i think is a little abrasive, but i have def heard worse speakers).

Quote by terminator44
so i was looking at getting an avatar 212 with celestions v30 or maybe one v30 and one greenback

do you guys think these are a good combo?

i like playing metal like killswitch engage and bullet for my valentine and all that remains and such but i also like blues like joe bonamassa and gary moore and classic metal and hard rock stuff

i have not tried this particular combo, but i have tried similar ones. i don't see anything really wrong with this combination, the greenback may be a bit overwhelmed with a 'modern distortion' but i doubt it.

the combination should give you a great rock tone, you may be lacking a little low end on heavier songs if you desire such a thing (i don't like competing with the bass player so that would be fine with me).

the only concern i would have is the G12M-25's (the greenback's) power handling rating. the G12M-25 is only rated for 25 watts, so a 2x12 cabinet would be rated for 50 watts. you may want something with a bit more power handling to match the V30 so it can handle higher wattage amps (like the XXX you are looking at for the future).

a G12M-65 is a 65 watt version of the G12M-25, it should sound very similar and when matched with a V30 in a 2x12 cabinet, it will be rated for 120 watts and facilitate any bigger amps you may obtain in the future

http://celestion.com/product/123/g12m65_creamback/

btw, there is also a new G12H-75 that is a similar to a G12M (the H has a bigger magnet), but it is known to have a more firm low end and a more even response. i prefer an M personally, but many people really like the H.

http://celestion.com/product/141/g12h75_creamback/

here is a comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du5sn1wtZWA

other popular options for pairing with a V30 include a G12T-75 or a G12K-100. the T-75 is more scooped and gives a bit of a 80's/more modern tone. the K-100 is pretty even and reinforces the low end, pairs really well for a full on modern metal tone with some good (but not too much) low end thump. both speakers have a great attack.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 2, 2014,
Quote by terminator44
Thank you very much that's a ton of info haha

i like speakers and cabinets.

-ae
i own a lot of cabs, mesa and orange are probably the most solid. avatar is nice. i really like my randall 1x15'+2x12', and several others.

they all do a find build.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So you're saying the G12H-75 would have a tighter chug than the M?
And I don't really wanna scoop mids much if at all I actually like em in there haha
Quote by terminator44
So you're saying the G12H-75 would have a tighter chug than the M?
And I don't really wanna scoop mids much if at all I actually like em in there haha

the H will provide a tighter low end, give it a certain more percussive nature in some respects. most of what we hear as attack is actually higher in the frequency range. that video posted above should give you a good idea of both speakers 'chug'.

the V30 will provide plenty of mids for whatever you match it with. the M will just have less low end than the H, both the H and M are not scooped. the T-75 is the scooped sounding speaker.

-ae
k100's straight or go half-half w/ a K100 and a V30. that is what is in most of my cabs. i have some T75's too in one cab and another with all V30's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
in addition to what everyone else is saying, i like eminence v12s with my (50 watt) jet city head.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think I might start with the V30s and the G12k-100 and see how I feel from there

Also what's with front loaded vs rear loaded???
Quote by terminator44
I think I might start with the V30s and the G12k-100 and see how I feel from there

Also what's with front loaded vs rear loaded???

not a bad combo at all, that should be pretty versatile. should be great for the modern metal tones you want.

front loaded verses rear loaded just has to do with how the speakers are attached to the baffle (the baffle is the piece of wood with speaker holes cut into it that you mount the speakers to). front loaded means you take off the grill cloth and screw them in from the front of the cab. rear loaded means you take off the back panel and screw them in front the back of the cab.

there are people that claim there is a difference in tone from front or rear loaded. i have never tested it myself, but i am willing to bet the difference is fairly negligible. most of my cabs are rear mounted, i have one 1x12 that is front mounted.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
the H will provide a tighter low end, give it a certain more percussive nature in some respects. most of what we hear as attack is actually higher in the frequency range. that video posted above should give you a good idea of both speakers 'chug'.

the V30 will provide plenty of mids for whatever you match it with. the M will just have less low end than the H, both the H and M are not scooped. the T-75 is the scooped sounding speaker.

+311

I have the Bogner 412 with V30s X T75s, incredible for high gain and worked well with the JCA 100 and SLO 100. Other than the Soldano 412 with Emi Legends, the JCA 100, if it's similar to the JCA22H, will love the V30 X G12H-75.

The Diezel 412 with K100 shines with amps like the Diezel VH4 but may sound dull/disappointing with some other amps. A cab with V30s X K100s sounds better, opinion of course, with other amps.

I'm with Gumbi, I'd go with the V30 X G12H-75 with the JCA.
Quote by gumbilicious

there are people that claim there is a difference in tone from front or rear loaded. i have never tested it myself,

yeah same here. I mean, I have some front-loaded and some rear-loaded, but they're different cabs so it's not exactly a scientific test.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by terminator44
Will the v30s and T75 work well with the XXX?

they would probably sound fine but from what i have experience, i would Go v30/K100.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Probably, yeah. You run the risk of people not seeing your pedal question if you make it in here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?