Hi! I just want to ask are there any guitarist out there who plays metal using fingernails?because Im a classical guitarist and Im more comfortable playing with my fingers than a pectrum so right now Im playing metal guitar with my fingernails. (Question)

*are there any positive and negative side about this?
(as what I have heard there are techniques in metal which really require a pick so am I missing something here? because the way I see it its very much the same..so anyone can shed a light? especially if there are also guitarist out there who plays metal using fingernails..

Thanks
I'm not too sure how you're going to be able to do downpicking, or guitar solos, or palm muted stuff by fingerpicking...
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

actually its very similar though, Im kinda using my nails like a pick..and when I do solo leads I use free-strokes like Im playing classical guitar.
Whatever works for you, man!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Is just that there are some guitarist that I met and they recommended playing with a pick..and when I use a pick is like my hands were not used playing with. it has been 3 months, and I decided to myself I much more comfortable playing with my nails so I just wanna ask if there are downfalls if I do this :/..hmmm any of the classical guitarist out there? who also use their fingernails in playing metal?
I might be able to help you as I started in Metal and then went to Classical. I still enjoy both very much though.

Anyway, there are only two players that come to mind when I think of fingerstyle in Metal and they are Joe Haley of Psycroptic and Kiko Loureiro of Angra. Both use hybrid or fingerstyle, although very different contexts (Psycroptic = Technical Death Metal, Angra = Progressive Power Metal).

Kiko Loureiro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDl9hcqdDqs

Joe Haley (skip to ~9mins):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdKl8q7Ffqk

I understand these aren't pure fingerstyle like you are used to but they are the closest I can get in terms of Metal.

I don't think there are major downfalls if you can get some equivalent of alternate and economy picking down really fast. Tapping is also pretty useful.
Last edited by HaydenHohns at Jan 3, 2014,
When it comes to playing metal with fingers is that I worry if you start playing black metal and intense tremolo picking of power and minor chords in 200bpm 24ths. That shit wears down picks fast and I shudder to think what it would do to your nails and finger tips.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus: Depends on the style, if we're looking at old Emperor and Darkthrone, that's quite true. However, for more melodic breeds like Artefact and Dissection, it isn't as much of a problem.
Quote by HaydenHohns
MaaZeus: Depends on the style, if we're looking at old Emperor and Darkthrone, that's quite true. However, for more melodic breeds like Artefact and Dissection, it isn't as much of a problem.

I know I know. But if he ever gets an itch to play through Pure Holocaust from Immortal from start to finish he should... well... prepare himself.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Hahahahahaa
Quote by luxeion

When I played classical guitar my fingernails would get torn up every time I played the electric fingerstyle. If you have classical recitals any time soon I'd recommend using a pick.
Fake nails are a thing you know. John Butler uses them because he says the 12 string he plays eats through his real nails.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It is very possible. Just keep practicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CtK551BcM4
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sounds difficult but doable...You would have to get really fast with, what if I recall properly is called, tambour if you are talking doing rhythm guitar but leads can be done for sure finger style...I've heard some beautifully fast and exciting classical songs...The one issue i will say...You might break your finger nails if you use a steel string...this isnt and issue so much with slower stuff but fast heavy metal is probably gonna hurt...perhaps invest in finger picks or fake nails to strengthen yours
Playing metal with nails?.....

Now that's metal!!!!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3