Hey, It's been a while since I've posted anything on here, but I recently recorded a 8 minute prog/djent song and would love some feedback on the song and my mix in general! It's in 7/4 and the guitar and bass were recorded via a Pod HD while the drums were recorded using EZDrummer's Metalheads EZX with some EQ in Reaper.

https://soundcloud.com/guerillagorillas/event-horizon

Any criticisms would be greatly appreciated, and I'll gladly C4C if you post the link to your song topic in your comment.
Wow that was massive!
I love your guitar tone.
I am interested in what guitars are you using (brand, strings etc.)

Keep up the good work!

If you could spare some time, here is the link to one of my recordings.. I would love to read more ratings

Thread

More stuff on Soundcloud
Quote by martin.loomis
Wow that was massive!
I love your guitar tone.
I am interested in what guitars are you using (brand, strings etc.)

Keep up the good work!

If you could spare some time, here is the link to one of my recordings.. I would love to read more ratings

Thread

More stuff on Soundcloud

Thanks man! I'm honestly using an Ibanez RG2EX1 with a set of Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings played in drop C. However, I replaced the pickups with a Seymour Duncan SH-5 in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz pickup in the neck, I feel that added the biggest impact to my tone. Then I ran it through my Pod HD using a patch using the ENGL Fireball amp model and double tracked, 90% panned on each side.

I'll definitely check out your recordings as soon as possible!

edit: I should also add that this was recorded pretty much right after I changed strings, which really helped add a crispness to my tone.
Last edited by GuerillaGorilla at Jan 3, 2014,
Okay thanks. The Pod HD seems to be a nice little thing, because your tone is pure love haha
Quote by martin.loomis
Okay thanks. The Pod HD seems to be a nice little thing, because your tone is pure love haha

Haha, it's good once you figure how the hell to use it for your specific tone and guitar voicing. It's VERY customizable, meaning that you have to put a lot of time into it tweaking variables and adding EQs/Noise Gates/Tube Screamer/etc. to get the specific tone you want, at least for modern distortion. Despite that, I cannot recommend it enough, it's great for the price range, plus you can play it with headphones plugged in so you don't wake the neighbors .
I'm not really into prog metal or djent, so take this as you will.

The only things I didn't like that much were that short drum sequence starting at 3:56, it sticks out too much and not in a particularly good way, the drums sound like a sowing machine (EZDrummer, I know) and starting at around 5:17 up to 5:29, that lead part doesn't sound too good (to me at least).

But those aren't major flaws and are kind of quick fixes.

Even though I'm not that into prog metal/djent, I didn't feel bored, and the song is 8 minutes long! Nice one, nothing else that I feel I should point out!

Thanks for the feed back! I'm fully aware of the kick drums cutting through everything and showing how fake they are at that part, but I have no clue how to get around that issue. I'll try to address it in the future. And that's interesting that the beginning of that lead part you mentioned sounded off to you, I can be a tad tone deaf so it's most likely an intonation issue (again... they just keep cropping up here and there despite adjusting my saddles).

Again, thanks for the valuable feedback and the kind words!
I meant that that part doesn't fit well with the song, especially the part from 5:23 to 5:28. I think the note choice in that part in particular didn't sound very good.

But it's only my opinion, I'm sure there are a lot of people (and some with more experience than me or prog/djent lovers) that will tell you they liked that part, this is just what I thought.

And I'm glad you enjoyed my feedback
I think there are a few timing issues here and there, but it's really minor, I think it's just the way the drums and guitars are mixed, they sorta don't hit you in the same way at the same time. I like the tone, it's very metal, slightly modern, but still distorted. Did you record this with two tracks? I would recommend doing three or four guitar tracks to make the sound bigger, and turning the bass up a little too. Nice track.
Minicaxotinho, you could definitely be right, that's actually no one else has commented on so I should revisit that section.

CF_Mono, I can see what you mean, when I play it on my laptop speakers I can hear some slight phasing issues, I definitely need to tighten up my rhythm playing. You're right that I'm using two guitar tracks (90L and 90R), maybe I should experiment with more tracks. How do you do three tracks, just add one panned dead center? And for the bass I agree, mixing bass is the bane of my existence right now, haha.

Thanks for the compliments, though! I'm glad you said that about my tone, I wanted a good mix of modern and more traditional heavy tones.