Hey all,
I've been looking for a new amp and really the only ones who left on my list are the Fender Blues Junior III, and the Blackstar HT-5R.
I play classic rock and blues (sometimes hard/heavy rock). The only place I'm gonna play at is my bedroom, therefore I need a really not too loud amp. I truly prefer sound quality over watts and volume.
My budget is about 500$.

But I'm keep wondering which amp should I get. A one thing that concerns me is the Blackstar to be a not real tube-amp, but only has preamp tubes.
On the other hand, the blues junior might be too loud with that 15 watts.
I do plan to buy in the near future an overdrive pedal, so I don't really care about tons of features from the amp.

Please help me decide,
Thanks!
Niether. The BJ will hold its resale value slightly better but both are pretty underwhelming Imo. Check out the Egnater Rebel if you like midgain tone.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The lowest watts for the Egnater Rebel series is 20 watts which is A LOT. Especially when the 15 watts Blues Junior is even too much.
Do you have other recommendations? Or even explanations for your opinions on those amps?
The ht series is garbage to my ears, the bj needs lotsa modification to sound good, most amps have some sorta volume knob.
I prefer a classic rock tone (though I don't play classic rock) and try every amp I come across cause I'm a nerd. After a few years of sporting a Rebel 20, I have yet to come across an amp my ears prefer over a Rebel for less than $500.

I haven't gigged for awhile but my Rebel worked great for me. Now I use it in my apartment at all hours. The damn thing is great for any occasion.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 3, 2014,
OK, fair enough. I really appreciate your help. I have one question though about the Rebel 20 if you already mention it:
As I said, I really prefer sound quality over volume, especially cause I play in my bedroom and really don't like to get too much volume when I play, so I'm looking for an amp that can deliver an amazing sound over low volume. So - the Rebel 20 is tons of watts for me. BUT, I know I can switch and decide how much watts I want to between 1 watts all over to 20 watts, but I want to know if it really works and do the job well.
It does the job very well, in any setting, even tv volumes. The watts knob affects the gain, NOT the volume.

Really, you should just try every amp you possibly can, you'll fall in love with one eventually.

Edit: Also, Imo, the bj sounds horrible at low volume.

Edit 2: If used efficiently enough, 1 watt can rupture your eardrum.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 3, 2014,
Quote by rogerthatmand
Hey all,
I've been looking for a new amp and really the only ones who left on my list are the Fender Blues Junior III, and the Blackstar HT-5R.
I play classic rock and blues (sometimes hard/heavy rock). The only place I'm gonna play at is my bedroom, therefore I need a really not too loud amp. I truly prefer sound quality over watts and volume.
My budget is about 500$.

But I'm keep wondering which amp should I get. A one thing that concerns me is the Blackstar to be a not real tube-amp, but only has preamp tubes.
I do plan to buy in the near future an overdrive pedal, so I don't really care about tons of features from the amp.

Please help me decide,
Thanks!

The BS gets a really nice tone with the master low and the cleans pushed hard, ....unfortunatelly I find the distortion channel a little "tin-canny" but it´s all up to your taste. The master volume allows you to play really low...and really loud so their is no issue there!! As for the tube issue....that will affect your resale value if your in the states which should be good to keep in consideration.

just for warnings...the ht5r has had issues with the 2011-12 with a transistor on the board burning out...make sure you get extra warranty if it´s new and or check that they´ve done something about the problem.

The one thing I always recommend is take your gear to the shop and give each one a try......most stores have no problem letting you testdrive Before you buy and personally I´d never Dream of buying an amp "unplayed"
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by rogerthatmand
Hey all,
My budget is about 500$.

Please help me decide,
Thanks!
That's not true about the Blackstar. I owned 4 Blackstars and the 5 watter was one of them. It has 2 tubes, one is preamp, the other is power amp. The ECC83 (12AX7) is the preamp tube and the 12BH7 is the power tube.

It's a great amp. I also owned a Blues Jr.- the Tweed one. (better speaker). It was okay, but I much prefer the Blackstar. The Blackstar has smoother distortion and can even get metal-like, the BJ can't. The Blackstar also has better (fabulous) clean tone, IMO.

I would take the Blackstar in a second over the BJ. The BJ is louder though. If you are going to play out, the Blackstar might not cut it quite as well as the BJ.
Last edited by axuality at Jan 3, 2014,
I went to my local GC last week and ran a few 5W. I kinda dug this one. Nice cleans and good crunch at decently low volumes.

Marshall DSL5C

I kinda thought it was a bit pricey for the unit but...it's a Marshall.

I also liked the Slash version but it was $200 more for just his name and not many other features.

I also played this guy and it sounded pretty sweet. Real nice cleans and great crunch. Deeper than the Marshall but didn't feel as well put together. At $199 though...it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Bugera V5

I wound up buying the v22 version but... brought it back and got a Mesa instead.

Good luck man! Good time to shop for bedroom amps these days. Great selections.
what model mesa?

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
No experience with the Egnator, so I can't comment there.

However, with the info you've given, I would recommend the Peavey classic 30. They go pretty cheap used, and are a ton of bang for buck. It's one of my favorite low to mid gain amps out there, and peavey quality is usually very good.

Also, wattage does not directly translate to volume. 5 watts will not be significantly quieter than 30 watts. The main difference is in clean headroom, or the point at which the power tubes begin to break up
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Out of those two, Blackstar but thats because I have not heard the Fender BJ and I do not have even an idea what its capable of. However I would propably rather get the Jet City JCA22h over either of them (or JCA2212 combo, just change the speaker to better one if possible).

Classic crunch and high gain channels that gets to metal territory (better with boost). No dedicated clean channel but the crunch channel does clean up. Mass produced and based on Soldano Hot Rod, which is VERY good amp if you wish google around.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 3, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
Out of those two, Blackstar but thats because I have not heard the Fender BJ and I do not have even an idea what its capable of. However I would propably rather get the Jet City JCA22h over either of them (or JCA2212 combo, just change the speaker to better one if possible).

Classic crunch and high gain channels that gets to metal territory (better with boost). No dedicated clean channel but the crunch channel does clean up. Mass produced and based on Soldano Hot Rod, which is VERY good amp if you wish google around.

The jet city would be another good option. I owned one for a time, and it would definitely do what you are after.

I will say that I've used a Blues Junior extensively. The cleans are very nice, but the overdrive leaves a lot to be desired. I found it to be thin, tinny, and lackluster overall. However, it does take pedals very well
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Thank you everyone for the comments and the help. I really appreciate it.
But there's one thing I want to say again - I'm only gonna play in my bedroom, so it's important for me to get a low watts amp. So all the Peavey Classic 30, Jetcity 20 and so on.. that's not possible for me. Even the Egnater rebel 20 is barely possible.
Quote by rogerthatmand
Thank you everyone for the comments and the help. I really appreciate it.
But there's one thing I want to say again - I'm only gonna play in my bedroom, so it's important for me to get a low watts amp. So all the Peavey Classic 30, Jetcity 20 and so on.. that's not possible for me. Even the Egnater rebel 20 is barely possible.

Wattage does not equal volume. I've had a 50watt peavey and a 5 Epiphone valve jr sitting next to each other, and the difference in volume is negligible. That's what the master volume is for. A good general rule is that a 50watt amp is only twice as loud as a 5 watt amp. They can both be equally quiet, just turn the volume down.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Wattage does not equal volume. I've had a 50watt peavey and a 5 Epiphone valve jr sitting next to each other, and the difference in volume is negligible. That's what the master volume is for. A good general rule is that a 50watt amp is only twice as loud as a 5 watt amp. They can both be equally quiet, just turn the volume down.

But if I put the volume really down, it doesn't come out with the actual volume quality, doesn't it?
Because a tube amp only gets is full potential at high volume level(?)
Quote by rogerthatmand
But if I put the volume really down, it doesn't come out with the actual volume quality, doesn't it?
Because a tube amp only gets is full potential at high volume level(?)

That is a myth. Or half truth actually. Its true that tube amp works at its best when you turn it up but that just means that the power section starts to operate at optimal levels. They certainly do not sound bad at low volumes. I've used 100w tube head inside apartment at low volumes and it sounded awesome.

If you want power amp saturation, meaning crank it so hot that the power tubes start to distort, then the low wattage matters because you need as little clean headroom as possible. However turned that loud even 5 watt tube amp is crazy loud in house. If power amp saturation is what you want you need an attenuator between the head and speakers.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^same here, at one point I had a 120 watt half stack for bedroom playing.

That's why they have a volume knob. And when you turn the gain up, you get the preamp tubes cooking, which is where your distortion will come from anyways
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by axuality
That's not true about the Blackstar. I owned 4 Blackstars and the 5 watter was one of them. It has 2 tubes, one is preamp, the other is power amp. The ECC83 (12AX7) is the preamp tube and the 12BH7 is the power tube.

It's a great amp. I also owned a Blues Jr.- the Tweed one. (better speaker). It was okay, but I much prefer the Blackstar. The Blackstar has smoother distortion and can even get metal-like, the BJ can't. The Blackstar also has better (fabulous) clean tone, IMO.

I would take the Blackstar in a second over the BJ. The BJ is louder though. If you are going to play out, the Blackstar might not cut it quite as well as the BJ.

This is really down to ears, I thought the other way round, have both ht5r and BJ Tweed one and I prefer the BJ clean tones and the distorted BS tones over the BJ. Worth noting though, the Blackstar has a an earphone socket and the Fender doesn't.