Page 1 of 2
Hello Pit, like the title says, I'm looking for a new smartphone. I never owned one so I don't know what to look for. I have around $200 to spend so Apple is out of the question(I didn't want one anyway). Looks like Samsung or Lenovo. I can't justify spending more than 300 on a phone so that is the highest I'll go. Thanks.
I don't really like the whole keyboard on the thing that way. I'd prefer a full touchscreen.
Quote by darrenram1
I don't really like the whole keyboard on the thing that way. I'd prefer a full touchscreen.

I feel like I'm the only one these days who ****ing hates touch screens. Had my Galaxy S2 nearly 2 years now and it's the worst phone I've ever had. Only 3 months until a new phone.. Blackberry here i come. #hipster#hardwork#dedication
I have a Nokia Lumia and I'm very happy with it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
I have a Nokia Lumia and I'm very happy with it.

I recently went from an iPhone 4S to the Lumia 1020 and have to say I'm very happy with it
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I'm getting my upgrade in March, probably end up getting a Galaxy Note 3 or something. I've gotten a bit out of the loop with phones, I used to be a proper tech nerd but meh, Ima have a read up now of new releases this year and see if it's worth waiting for anything.
Quote by vayne92
the single best phone of all time.

FTFY
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
if you really want a smartphone go for a htc or samsung
they'll let you customise and use the phone in the way you want instead of how they want you to use it

if you dont want one of these then go for a decent phone that aint a smartphone, no shame in that
Quote by slash_GNR666
FTFY

Yeah but it took forever and ever to message someone on those phones.
How are the Samsung Mini's are they tiny. Because tiny is not good. Maybe around iPhone size or bigger.
I have a Samsung S4 Mini and it's awesome. Not too small, the S4 would've been needlessly big for me. There's also a dual sim model if you need it...
I have a Lumia. It's OK, but I've found that there are a lot of apps that works on both iPhones and Samsungs that doesn't work on my Lumia. I've played around with my girlfriends Samsung Galaxy something and my mothers iPhone 4s and I think both feels a little more refined than the Lumia. I do however get the feeling that there are some stupid Apple restriction things on the iPhone.
Overall, the Samsung is the most priceworthy in my eyes.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Well, your best bet is an Android phone as you probably know. Therefore, your best options are HTC (whose phones I think are too expensive for what they deliver), Samsung (great performance, cheap building) and Sony (awesome, but a bit overpriced too). I have a Sony Xperia for 5 months, couldn't be happier with it. The only probelms I can point out is the screen that isn't too resistant to scratches (mine has already a few in it, and I treat my phone properly) and the battery lasts 2 days at best with moderate usage.

Either way, if you're not one of those guys that just has to have the best performance he can get with his budget, I think you should go with Sony or HTC. They're the ones, in my opinion, that are most balanced in terms of performance, quality build, features and design. Also, both have very good options within your price range.
Last edited by little_boy at Jan 3, 2014,
Definitely not an Apple. Wouldn't recommend a Samsung Galaxy either. I personally would actually steer clear of Samsung all together but I'll admit they have some good phones.

Sony Xperia is the absolute shit and Nokia Lumia isn't far behind if you don't mind Windows 8 - I've actually heard from a lot of people that it's better than Android though, except for the number of available apps of course.

I have an LG L7. It's alright but I'd go for one of the above two if I'd be in need of a new smartphone. Bugs aren't exactly rare but nothing serious.

Also, please note that this is coming from someone who hated the Lumia when it first came out. Friend got it recently and I'm singing a different toon.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
The windows store has less apps because it's younger, but I expect it to catch up with the others soon enough.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
see if you can get a deal on a Nexus 5 and save by going prepaid. Straight Talk speeds are faster than Verizon in my area.
I have the HTC One. It was 600 euros new (but I had a friends & family packet so I only pay 36 euros per month and paid 0 for the phone. )
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jan 3, 2014,
Dude, I'm not in the US. Package deals here are around $500 paid upfront + $200 for the phone.
EDIT: Is Lenovo any good. A friend recommended it.
Last edited by darrenram1 at Jan 3, 2014,
Quote by darrenram1
Dude, I'm not in the US. Package deals here are around $500 paid upfront + $200 for the phone.

Wut...
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by darrenram1
EDIT: Is Lenovo any good. A friend recommended it.

Where the heck are you man?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
According to my own experience, you should never buy a cheap smartphone. It'll probably only cause frustration. You have to at least buy a mid-range phone. The amount of money you have to spend is too little. Better spend it on beer or something.
Nexus 5. It's an excellent phone and it's pretty affordable. I have one and I love it.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Nexus 5. If you can't afford that, get the Moto G. 16 GB version is 200 USD and it's got a 720p display and a quad core snapdragon processor. Still very much a budget phone though.
Quote by TheChaz
Nexus 5. If you can't afford that, get the Moto G. 16 GB version is 200 USD and it's got a 720p display and a quad core snapdragon processor. Still very much a budget phone though.

+1 for the Moto G. Good built quality, good design, good screen, good processor and very well optimized (better performance than any Samsung or HTC, even the high-end ones, thanks to their absurd resource-consuming Android mods). The only downside is the camera, which is a bit poor compared to other smartphones nowadays, but if that doesn't bother you the Moto G is by far THE best smartphone on the market under 200$.

If you can afford to spend a bit more, you can easily get a Motorola Moto X or a Sony Xperia SP for 250-260$. They're almost high-end phones at mid-end prices, totally worth it. I can personally vouch for the Xperia SP. My phone company gave me at first a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and as soon as I saw the SP specs (4.6" HD Bravia display, 1.7 GHz Snapdragon dual-core which outplays any 2012 quad-core, 8 MP camera with Exmor sensor, 2370 mAh battery which lasts for days, LTE and NFC connectivity, Sony UI interface which is much lighter and more fluid than Samsung's TouchWiz...)... Needless to say I returned it and got this one, and I couldn't be happier, it's so much better in every aspect and also 90$ cheaper! And the Moto X is very similar to the Xperia SP, even slightly better, so if you have the chance it'd be the best option.

As a rule of thumb, I'd recommend you to stay away from Samsung and HTC; only their high end models are good, and still quite overpriced. So since you're looking for a cheap phone, avoid them completely or you could end up spending 200$ on a piece of overpriced crap.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by angusfan16
Galaxy S4 has served me well

Indeed. I really like it. Only paid $200 with a contract.
Wait, Motorola isn't dead? I haven't seen anyone with their phone since the Razr or whatever it was called. I don't even remember them popping up in any catalog.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Wait, Motorola isn't dead? I haven't seen anyone with their phone since the Razr or whatever it was called. I don't even remember them popping up in any catalog.

They might not sell them in your country. Motorola was bought by Google, and they currently make one of the best Android phones out there, the Moto X.
Quote by TheChaz
They might not sell them in your country. Motorola was bought by Google, and they currently make one of the best Android phones out there, the Moto X.

It's possibru, it already took Google ages to get permission for the Street-view thingy here. The gov't isn't exactly fond of their record with privacy and data-gathering. They seem to be perfectly fine with Android though.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
HTC One or Samsung 4 are two that i am currently looking at.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Moto G or Nexus 5.

The Moto G is the best value for money and you won't feel shortchanged.

I probably wouldn't recommend Lenovo, they're good for laptops but phones aren't really their thing yet.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Thanks for replies. I went out and got the Nokia Lumia 520. From my experience with Samsung phones, my mother and father have Samsung, they lag. And I hate that. I got it for $175.
4" screen
5mp camera
720p videos
1 Ghz dual core
512 MB Ram
8 GB + 4GB SD Card

I bought it because Nokia has been in the market since before I was born. And every phone I've owned has been Nokia. All of them still work. . So reliability was a good thing.

App recommendations?
Last edited by darrenram1 at Jan 4, 2014,
Quote by vayne92
I feel like I'm the only one these days who ****ing hates touch screens. Had my Galaxy S2 nearly 2 years now and it's the worst phone I've ever had. Only 3 months until a new phone.. Blackberry here i come.
#fedora

ftfy
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Page 1 of 2