Greetings!

I´m desperate for help. I have a ESP Snakebyte and Im having huge buzz problems with it. It buzzes almos everywhere on the low E string, even playing the low E string open. And thats what really drives me crazy. I can deal with the buzz when its fretted. If I play very softly it wont buzz. If I play a little bit harder, just a little bit, trust me, It buzzes.

I recorded a sample so you can have an idea of what im talking about. Please check the following link. Dont mind the playing. I was just hitting the strings to get the buzz sound.

https://soundcloud.com/edumiguel

I noticed the string vibrate a lot more on this guitar than my other 2 gibson explorer. I use the same string, same gauge (10s), same tunning (Eb) on all of them. The ESP vibrates a lot more on the low E string. When it does that, the string touches the fret and the buzz sound occurs.

I took it to a luthier, he checked everything, the neck is fine, frets are fine, everything is ok. He just can´t figure out what is causing the buzz. He recommended put the strings a little higher, but i dont want to do that. On my other guitars strings are low, but not too low, around 2mm on the 12th fret and it dont buzz this much when I play the low E string open. He said the nut is a little higher, and I should lower the string slots. But I dont think it will change anything for my problem.

Please guys, give me a help. I tried eveything, I went to 2 guitar techs and no one was able to solve this.

Thanks!

Cheers!
All guitars are different just because your two other guitars are set that low does not mean this one can be or likes to be I would take the suggestion of raising the string a hair and see if the problem persists. Obviously everything isn't fine or it wouldn't buzz lol
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Thanks for your reply!

I know all guitars are different, but it has no structural problems, or neck problems, or anything that justify this excessive buzz when playing low E string open.

Please head the sample just to check the amount of buzz im talking about and I hope someone can give me a clue of what to do. I dont want to put the strings too high to solve this.

Thanks!
Where is it buzzing when you hit the strings? If its against the frets then the action is either too low or the frets are not perfectly level and need some filing. Or you have too straight or even a backbowed neck. All setup issues either way.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Where is it buzzing when you hit the strings? If its against the frets then the action is either too low or the frets are not perfectly level and need some filing. Or you have too straight or even a backbowed neck. All setup issues either way.

Its hard to tell the right buzz spot. The one that reallt drives me crazy its when it buzz while playing the open E String. Did you hear the audio sample? what do you think about it?

The neck is fine, it has a small relief.

As I said, i noticed the string tension is lower, causing the strings to vibrate a lot more. Is there anything I can do regarding bridge ajustment to increase string tension? The tail piece is already as low as it can gets.

thanks!
Yeah but it does sound just like strings buzzing against the frets for reason or another. Regarding tension you have to install thicker strings. 10-46 on 24.75" scale guitar is about tension as 9-42 on 25.5" so it is a bit loose on Eb, though not unplayably so and some people even like it for bendy stuff. But if you stick to Eb and like to hammer on strings IMHO you might want to go up for 11-49. Or 11-52 for really tight wound strings. Or 10-49 or 10-52 if you want to keep plain strings light for bending but want to up the wound ones a bit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 3, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
Yeah but it does sound just like strings buzzing against the frets for reason or another. Regarding tension you have to install thicker strings. 10-46 on 24.75" scale guitar is about tension as 9-42 on 25.5" so it is a bit loose on Eb, though not unplayably so and some people even like it for bendy stuff. But if you stick to Eb and like to hammer on strings IMHO you might want to go up for 11-49. Or 11-52 for really tight wound strings. Or 10-49 or 10-52 if you want to keep plain strings light for bending but want to up the wound ones a bit.

So, considering the conditions, Eb tunning, 10s, extra jumbo frets.... is it "normal" to have this kind of buzz?

I tried tunning E Standar, the buzz is still there... so I guess it might be something else.... I just dont know what to do to fix it.
First, you need to have level frets. If I were to guess, I'd say that you have at least one high fret on the low E(b) side. FWIW, you don't measure frets for level in *just* the middle of the fretboard; it's more likely that a high (flyer) fret will show up on one side or the other; frets can just as easily be unlevel from side to side. I've begun having my frets superglued (see the number 43 newsletter on stewmac.com for the methods and the reasons for doing this) and, on guitars that are new to me, I've been turning them over to a tech who owns a PLEK machine to get the frets to a guaranteed level condition.

Second, you need to have a correctly cut nut.

Third, you need to have a correctly adjusted bridge (this includes the separate saddles in the bridge) that follows the radius of the fretboard.

Fourth, you need to give the low E (or Eb in your case) side of the bridge a bit higher action than the high E(b) side (by about 1/64th").
My last advice would be try putting some graphite in the nut to make sure its not binding causing the buzzing if your positive everything else is setup right, this just popped into my mind. Also, If you don't have graphite pencil shavings work just as well
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by Edumiguel
So, considering the conditions, Eb tunning, 10s, extra jumbo frets.... is it "normal" to have this kind of buzz?

I tried tunning E Standar, the buzz is still there... so I guess it might be something else.... I just dont know what to do to fix it.

No. As I said, you either have too low action and have to raise it a bit or frets (or just one of them) are not level. For former just take a screw driver or however its adjusted in your guitar and turn 1/4 or 2/4 turns at the time and find the sweetspot where there is no buzz and dead/muffled frets. Since the low E side is the problem start there. You can have the high strings low if there is no buzz there but if the low strings need to be high then so be it.

If the action needs to be abnormally high the next culript are the frets. That requires fretwork from luthier who checks them and files them to even height or makes sure they are not simply popped up a bit which can happen if the guitar has been under big air temperature and moisture changes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3