I am actually more confident in my ear than ever before. I actually prefer learning by ear when I'm bored. I transcribed the beginning of Epiphany by Intervals recently, and... it worked! It's more of a nice rush/good feel when I know I can actually do it if I try.

But... why can't I hear what tuning something is in when I hear it? Like if it's LOW I can tell "that's gotta be between Drop B and Drop Ab" or something... but I don't see how people can hear a brand new song and know off rip which tuning it's in. Am I bad for this? I can't really tell THAT quickly if a song is in Drop Db from Drop C, also because some players know how to make themselves sound really heavy, even in standard.

Is this something that's more-so based on how long I've been playing?
In my experience it's easier to transcribe a song, because you can go like "okay, the next note is like one semitone higher than the previous one". Whereas in figuring the overall tuning you can't do that. You only have your standard tuning for comparison, but you mostly have to compare out of memory, which is highly flawed. For example, couple of years ago when listening to Eluveitie I didn't pay attention to the tuning untill I wanted to play one of their songs myself. It was then when I figured out their song's werent in E-Standard, but in B-Standard. Long story short: Time and experience will help.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
In my experience it all boils down to three steps.Hear it,Sing it,Play it.Whenever you want to transcribe something from a tune or play what you hear in your head this is the best method......
Most people omit the second step and that is where they fail.Cause you can hear it in your head but only if you can sing it with your OWN voice its 100% certain you ll be able to play it.Sing a melody of a song,sing a minor arpeggio or a Dorian scale or anything.Cause after a while when these sounds are coming to you from the radio or from a fellow player you ll instantly know what they are doing(or at least get really close) without even a guitar in your hands.

Its the best thing you can do for your ears and your growth as a musician .
^ can't agree more.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
I was in a band that played in standard, drop d and drop c and I find hearing what tuning they are playing in is way easier than transcribing the song by ear. But after you switch between them a lot it's a lot easier to hear the "flavor" of the tunings.