So I bought the Fender Hot Rod Blues Jr yesterday and I absolutely love the sound and looks pretty sweet plus is super loud cant get past 2 on the volume without rattling the house. But Im running the Line 6 Pod HD500x through it. My questions is should I return the amp to get the Hot Rod Deville 410 so I will have an effects loop or would it even matter? My concern is that the Hot Rod Deville wont sound as good for practicing at low volumes as the Blues Jr. Another conecrn is that the Blues Jr might not be loud enough for gigging. I play main texas country with an American Tele so thats the sound Im trying to acheive. Let me know what yall think?
What effects do you use? Do you play with clean or distorted tone? And does the distortion come from the amp or pedals? If the amp is clean, you don't really need an effects loop. But if you use amp distortion, some effects like modulation, delay and reverb may not sound good.

Does it sound good in front of the amp? If yes, you don't need an FX loop. FX loop is only needed for modulation and time based effects (unless you prefer the tone in front of the amp).

If the amp is not loud enough for gigging, you can always put a mic in front of it (this is also usually done with bigger amps).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 3, 2014,
I love playing songs from heavy bands such as breaking ben. The amp itself doesnt really have distortion. Only overdrive when boosted volume. I use a compression pedal as well as all the effects from the POD. Not a big fan of modulation effects. Only sounds im trying to acheive is a compressed/sustain country chicken picken clean sound. Heavy Mesa Distortion, Mod Distortion, and Joe Satriani lead sounds. Which all sound great through the Blues Jr but I really dont know if it would sound better through a FX Loop and run the compression pedal through the pre?
really I guess my main question is will the Hot Rod Deville sound better at low volumes than the Hot Rod Blues Jr?
No, distortion in FX loop doesn't usually sound good. All distortion pedals are most often run in front of the amp. If you don't use modulation/delay, you don't need an FX loop. And if you don't even use your amp's distortion, you don't need an FX loop.

I don't know about HRD vs BJr.

If you already bought the amp, I wouldn't go and change it. Just doesn't make sense to me. If you are happy with it, stick with it.

I have seen this kind of threads before. Try all amps you want to try before making the decision! If you were happy with your amp when you bought it, it is the right amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115