Very soon I will be recording some guitar. I've read that double tracking is a great way to boost the fullness of the sound so it doesn't sound thin when you play it back. My understanding is that when you double-track, you should record the same part, two times - SEPARATELY. This is because simply shifting one recording out of time and panning it to the left or right won't do anything for the sound.

I also understand that a DI box is used to convert an unbalanced input, like from a guitar, into a balanced one. This can help with signal noise over a long distance as well as boost the signal.

I was thinking about getting a DI box for my recording needs. I can put the dry signal into my interface and the wet signal into my amplifier, mic that, then send it into my interface.

Having said that:

Is there a major benefit to having a DI box for that clean guitar signal?
Would simply mic'ing my amp and double tracking sound better?
Is there anything that I am missing without the use of a DI box in a home recording setting?

Thank you for the advice.
Unless you're actually wanting to track a DI signal and the amp signal at the same time, there's not much point to buying a DI box. You'd buy a DI if:

1. The DI inputs on your interface suck, or
2. You want to track a DI from your guitar and monitor/record the amp'd signal at the same time

If you have no need for the DI signal, there's no benefit to using a DI. If you have no interest in using amp simulation software, there no benefit to using a DI. If you have no way to reamp your signal, there's no benefit to using a DI - UNLESS, you plan on sending your recordings for someone else to mix, where they can reamp the signal themselves.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
So I think I will be using amp simulation software, but it sounds like I still wouldn't need to buy a DI.
^ nope, if you already have an interface with DI inputs good enough for you, and if you don't you're better off spending your money in a better interface instead of buying one or a couple good DI boxes.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok, just so you're clear - the only reason you need a DI box in your case is if you want to mic your amp up and get a clean DI at the same time. I do it, as I like the added flexibility (and can blend in an amp sim sound if the mic'd sound isn't ideal later on) but you really only need it if you want to split the signal or you're at a level where you are experienced enough to get the best out of your gear and want to improve the DI input to your preamps/converters.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
IMO, taking a separate DI in is a safety precaution in case something in the chain doesn't sound right and you have to send the track back through an amp later. I don't touch them unless I've really screwed up the initial recording (only happened once so far - RE20 drooped half way through :/ )