When I got my first amp, the guy at the music store suggested I got the Roland Cube amp. He said that after you get this, you won't need to upgrade unless you want something louder. Is that true?
Not really, no.

But what is it about, you feel like you could use a new amp?
If that's the case, try and be a bit more specific 'bout what you want so we can properly help you, ya know.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
did you get the roland? or something else? Are are you still shopping?

If you're new to guitar and learning get a good acoustic - it will make you a better player in the long run.
Second, if you go elec play a 'clean' sound - again, makes you a better player.

Lots of watts and distortion can cover bad playing.

Next, what do you want to play? Lead, rhythym, metal, country, etc. Alone or in a band (and need more info about that).

What 'sound' are you looking for? Do you even know at this point?

Bigger is better...to a point. There is such a thing as 'too much'. I started with a cheap small bass amp. It sounded like crap and is useless IMO for practice. I got a bigger, better amp and wow, I love it.

For my son we started with a $120 vypir - lots of sound options - amp emulation, distortin, reverb, etc. Not the best sounding unit out there, but for the price it works. Nice for acoustic elec guitar.

Got him a 150w mustang v for christmas - no comparison on sound. It's fantastic. the range of sounds, tones, emulations, effects are a huge step above. How much of that is the amp, the watts, the 4x12 cab I can't say.

I can say if you can't get the sound you want out of this amp, or the volume, you have issues.

But it's all in what YOU want. If want a vintage tube amp then get one. Most here will likely rec a tube amp. I'd think a good SS modeling amp in 2x12 60-100 watts would do you good. Lots of reviews on line - go read them.

The cube, mustang both get good reviews. I hear little about blackstar on line, nothing good about SS marshals, mixed stuff on line 6 (online vs in person).
I was just curious to see if that was right or not. Why do people get new amps? I don't feel like I need a new one, just because I can get the sound I want out of the one I have with my pedals.
Quote by EADGBE1
I was just curious to see if that was right or not. Why do people get new amps? I don't feel like I need a new one, just because I can get the sound I want out of the one I have with my pedals.

different amps sound different and do different things well.

the 'perfect' answer would be: an amp's job is to perfectly reproduce the guitar's signal at a higher volume.

that would be the end of the story if perfect amp's even existed (they don't, they are purely conceptual) or if that is what people even wanted (they don't, we buy amps for the 'distortions' they introduce to the signal).

so the real answer is: we buy amps to produce the current sound we are chasing after.

if you don't feel like you need a new amp then don't let someone else convince you otherwise.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well it's not just about the variety of sounds.
A lot of people like modeling amps because they can use a lot of models and effects and play and mess around.
I myself, as a lot of other people (as far as I know at least) like to play around with 3 or 4 or 5 sounds, and the other ones are funny but not that interesting to actually play with.

Sound quality comes around then.
Say you get yourself a type of guitar with a type of pickups with an amp and a cab (the piece of wood with the speakers in it, in combo amps the actual amp and the cab are in the same piece of wood) - out of them you can get a certain clean sound if you set the EQ to flat (meaning you don't boost or cut any frequency in your sound, your signal stays more or less the same as the one that comes out of your guitar).
Now get yourself a different type of guitar with a different type of pickups with a different amp and a different cab - with a flat EQ again, you get a completely different sound.

The amp is among the things that affect your sound the most, so you want one that makes a sound (usually called "tone" when talking about guitars) that you like.

A cheap example: you can get a certain clean sound with a $50 amp, and a different clean sound with a $1000 amp.
The sound is still clean, and the two amps can only make a clean sound, but the $1000 will probably sound better.

Same thing is with the cube and other amplifiers.
I'd say try other amps if you don't feel like you would need another one, and then think about upgrading if you hear something that you think sounds better than your cube.
If you don't well, good for you, you'll be saving a damn lot of money :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
To really answer the original question, yes, a Cube should do fine. Try to get at least the one with a 10 inch speaker, if not 12.