And I am thinking about putting it in C Standard because I am a huge Dethklok and Black Dahlia Murder fan. I have a question about what string gauges I should use for this guitar though. This guitar is a BC Rich JR V Icon Lefty.

Now before you all flip a shit, (cause I know there are a TON of string gauge threads on this forum already) I felt like posting this because I dont use a typical string set.

This is what I mean...

I have a 25 1/2 scale guitar in standard tuning. My strings, from low to high, are 10, 13, 17, 28, 38, 50

I want my C Standard V to feel as close as possible to what my guitar in E Standard feels like.

I was thinking of going 14, 17, 21 on the treble strings. (Going up 1 gauge on each string for each half step tuned down), but I dont know what I'll do about the wound strings.

Maybe go 36, 46, 58 for the wound strings? (Going up 2 on each wound string for each half step down.)

I am a lead player, so I surprisingly like my strings to be tight, at least on the wound strings. I plan on putting videos of me playing this guitar on youtube, even though I am fully aware of the possibility of me getting trolled by noobs for wearing my guitar strap so high...

Point is, the guitar is gonna look killer, but id really like it to feel great in when shredding and bending.

Tell me what you guys think. I dont wanna **** this up because this V comes with a floyd, and once its set up, I want it to remain that way.
14 is way too high for C. On plain strings the tension raises quite rapidly. 12 or 13 should be enough. I really like D'Addario 13-62 strings on B Standard because its quite well balanced set and since you like tight strings it could work really well for C. I have used in C too but it was a touch too tight for me.

Personally I would go for Dunlop Heavy Core Heaviest, 12-54 or D'Addario 12-60 if you want more meat on wound strings, but in Dunlop Heavy Cores the wound strings have thicker cores so they are bit tighter than normal string of that thickness.

*edit* Download this string gauge calculator to and plan your own string set
http://humanoid.ahmala.fi/software/

Its based on D'Addario string tension chart so it may not be accurate for other brands but it will give you a general idea where to go and helps you to spot if some string in the set is way too tense or loose.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 3, 2014,
Sounds like a plan. Quite balanced set. Though I would propably put 22 instead of 20 on the thickest plain string, 20 is bit light.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I would personally go a bit thicker yet for C Standard. I use .13 - .58s for C# Standard. When I've tuned down to C Standard it's a bit loose for my taste. But it's possible that I just like a lot of tension. I notice it the most on the low E string -- so it's also an option to just get a single low-E string with a .60-.62 gauge.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I would personally go a bit thicker yet for C Standard. I use .13 - .58s for C# Standard. When I've tuned down to C Standard it's a bit loose for my taste. But it's possible that I just like a lot of tension. I notice it the most on the low E string -- so it's also an option to just get a single low-E string with a .60-.62 gauge.

I guess you prefer something like 11-52 on E Standard. The 13-58 in C is somewhat equivalent to 10-50 on E.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3