The ONLY Film Thread Presents: Spoiler Alert! (Episode 3: Chinatown)

The Film Thread would like to invite you to a special discussion of classic movies. Please use this thread to discuss any aspect of the selected film.

This week’s selection is…

Chinatown (1974)

forget it Marge; it's Chinatown

What's this thing?: Roman Polanski's classic is the best movie of all time. It is the best example of neo noir to date.

Why is this remembered?: For being the best movie of all time.

How is this relevant to ME?!: You don't wanna watch the best movie ever made?

A little bit of history: The movie uses the backdrop of the California Water Wars to explore personal conflict and struggle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Water_Wars

lolmnt's excellent take: The main thing that makes this movie great is how it starts with a minor personal issue and keeps building and building to huge corruption and tragedy.

Let's get this party started!: How did the murder of Polanski's wife influence the bleak ending, if it did at all?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Absolutely love Chinatown. I've read several books on screenwriting that point to it as a near-perfect screenplay, which I completely agree with.

Just from a technical standpoint it's a marvel. In the first ten minutes everything that needs to be set up has been set up - Jake and what he does, the over-arching world of the story (the water crisis), and the inciting incident of Mrs Mulwray hiring Jake. Technically spot-on, and it carries on in the same vein.

All the twists come in at just the right time, and you don't see them coming the first time, but when you think about it you can see the seeds that were planted earlier, and those seeds only get more obvious with re-watches. Watching it unfold the first time is brilliant, the second time is even better.

Haven't even mentioned the stylish direction and stellar acting. And dat score.

I think everything Polanski made after the death of his wife is tinged by that event, as of course it would be. He wasn't exactly a saint himself, but something like that is always gonna affect you and the things you do.
Last edited by BelowTheSun at Jan 3, 2014,
On Polanski: rumor has it he was just the tip of the iceberg.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Genghis is wrong but what else is new
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by genghisgandhi
over rated. and I'm allowed to say that as I share an alma mater with Jack.

This is objectively not true. I'm allowed to say that because I had a 3-hour seminar with an Oscar-winning producer on how Chinatown is a close to perfect screenplay.
It's hard for me personally, and I'm sure many other casual movie watchers, to appreciate it because of all of the modern things which were influenced by it and so none of the stuff in it is new or intriguing anymore.

For instance, I hated the score.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jan 3, 2014,