...I got an Amp that was made when I graduated H.S. and I'm proud of it!

I picked up "La Brava" from a studio in Staten Island. It was well gigged with and sounds very nice. I don't care if people say it's the poor mans Mark series. I consider it the Working Mans series. jaja.

I dig that it only has 2 channels but could be 3 with the push/pull feature of Ch1. It's definitely dusty and needs a good cleaning. I'm gonna do the basic dusting and cleaning myself. I also clean and lube the tubes and maybe the knob pots. He gave me some extra tubes but I may just pick a full retube set from JJ. I set up an Appt with my local Authorized Mesa repair place and I'm gonna bring her in for a formal evaluation and see if she needs any internal cleaning up or rewiring. As far as I can tell she looks ok aside from some rusted screws and a worn handstrap. By the time I'm done she'll look as good as new!

Here are some images.

I'm gonna clean her up and then give her a few test riffs and see if I can get a recording online.

Cheers!

JA
Nice!

I kinda miss mine... the white tolex on it was pretty
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sweet grab. I want to try one out, I liked the Mark I had so I feel like this would do nicely.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Cool amp

I'd get a new set of tubes, Sovtek and EHX are not exactly great tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Cool amp

I'd get a new set of tubes, Sovtek and EHX are not exactly great tubes

Will do. Do you think a basic retube from Euro is a good change? I could always get the Mesa ones from GC?
Mesa tubes are just rebranded tubes, like Groove Tubes, that are supposedly matched to be within range of the bias of Mesa amps... Just buy a set of whatever tubes you want and tell them it's going in a Mesa, they'll find you the right tubes to work with its bias.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks folks. She's all clean now. Lots of dust I had to get out and clean off. I ordered a new handstrap, slip cover and footswitch from MB. I'll see about getting some Eurotubes from this week as well.

I wish it had that smart 5/25/50 power that the 50+ has. Does anyone know if that can be modded into the amp. This thing really wants to get loud...
So, I decided to open her up and see if I can find a birthdate and how the circuit board is doing. It looks pretty darn clean. Board itself is very sturdy & heavy which is good. Wiring is tight & clean. Here's some pics. No date of production though. Just serial.

I noticed the CB name was DC-510A. Does that mean mine is a version A amp? I thought it was a B because of the foot switch selecter difference in the back.

I sprayed the board lightly with some compressed air to get some dust off. I Also took off the knobs to get some dust off & plan to spray the pots with some lube.

I read somewhere that it's ok to spray the entire board with Deoxit or isopropyl alcohol to clean it. Is that true? I have the radio shack version of Deoxit.

It has the same ingredients.

What do you think about cleaning it? I don't think it needs it but could it hurt?

Thanks!
Last edited by Jargapix at Jan 7, 2014,
If you want to know the date of production, you can send an e-mail to the Mesa customer support. Helped me identify an amp within the day. As posted in your other topic, HNAD!
I use the Radio Shack Contact cleaner with NO LUBRICANT. Unless it is in a closed/sealed area (like the pots) dust will stick to the lubricant really bad. I also suggest using keyboard duster to clean most of the board.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I use the Radio Shack Contact cleaner with NO LUBRICANT. Unless it is in a closed/sealed area (like the pots) dust will stick to the lubricant really bad. I also suggest using keyboard duster to clean most of the board.

Thanks man. So, would you just use the non Lube version for the pots as well? I can exchange it since I haven't used it yet.

Do you mean a keyboard duster brush? Like this guy.

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-a-Doo-Keyboard-and-Computer-Brush/dp/B002XNMVGI

JA
I wouldn't spray anything on the board unless it was really really bad. Yours seems to be fine. Like Robb said, the lubricant will ultimately collect more dust so even in a potentiometer it is not the best idea unless it is really bad. Are you the guy with the scratchy Presence knob?

Cool gut shots though - thanks for sharing.

We need to find that Gut Shots thread and bump it.