Page 4 of 1021
Quote by uhh_me?
There's an entire forum dedicated to it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

The thread title "Van Halen is awesome! Who agrees?" is hilarious.

^^I've seen Hot Rod and didn't care for it.
Quote by lolmnt
Once Upon a Time in the West vs Once Upon a Time in America

Go!

America. Dat freeze frame with Noodles smiling at the end.
Quote by Carnivean
Just got back from the Hobbit. Saw it in IMAX 3D HRF. Very awesome. The visuals were jump-out-of-your-seat good.

Nope.

I didn't find Prince Avalanche as good as people in this thread led me to believe, but it was still quite good. I liked the first half more, it was slow and uneventful but I really sat there and was able to kind of absorb it, it's beautiful and feels natural. Awesome photography.

Then it kind of takes a weird turn and becomes a little too try-hard at being sweet and charming, the acting and writing sort of nosedive.

Reminds me a bit of Into the Wild (not just because of Emile Hirsch) except I liked this one more.
Quote by Carnivean
Just got back from the Hobbit. Saw it in IMAX 3D HRF. Very awesome. The visuals were jump-out-of-your-seat good.

I saw it last night in 3D (only because NOWHERE PLAYS IT IN ****ING NORMAL D), and I totally disagree. Smaug was awesome in 3D, but aside from him nothing else even needed to be 3D. It was just tacked on, I feel. I wish I could've just seen it normally without the 3D.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Watched Cave of Forgotten Dreams today, a documentary about a cave in France that contains the oldest human-painted images yet discovered. If it was any other director I would be bored after 15 minutes but Herzog grabbed my attention throughout and really put across the significance and beauty of the paintings. The way the cave is presented as the earliest evidence of the human soul and even the smaller things like the pentatonic bone flute found near the cave was really cool. Odd crocodile sequence at the end though.

Oh and finally got around to watching The Red Shoes. Wow. The 15 minute ballet sequence in the middle is probably the best camera work I have ever seen.
Quote by Carnivean

Told you dawg. Or was it somebody else I told?
My God, it's full of stars!
I can't take Herzog's voice seriously any more ever since it was parodied in American Dad but yeah, the French cave thing was great.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
Nope.

Yup?

And yes, Dreadnought you told me. Beorn the bear, the monster spiders, the orcs, and Smaug were all right there in your face and it wasn't even the 3D that gave it that effect. The 3D enhanced it, but the visuals were just well done regardless. That is the main thing that has carried over from LOTR. Great stuff. Solid movie--still not as seamless and engaging as the LOTR, but still a production PJ should be proud of.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by steve_muse
I can't take Herzog's voice seriously any more ever since it was parodied in American Dad but yeah, the French cave thing was great.

Wasn't parodied. It was him.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
Wasn't parodied. It was him.

For realz? Ahwell, still funny
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by cornmancer
Passed up a chance to see Inside Llewyn Davis today, but because I did, I read the entirety of God Bless you, Dr. Kevorkian by Vonnegut. I quite liked the book, but tell me, was it a mistake?

I like the Vonnegut I've read but I haven't read God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian. But I will tell you that Inside Llewyn Davis is excellent.
Anyone seen Computer Chess? Probably gonna watch it tonight and I haven't heard much but it sounds like it could be really cool.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Just finished Oldboy, da fuk. I'm still pretty confused, I think. I don't even know if I'm confused or not. Anyway it was great and weird, and more fight scenes should be like that, understated yet dramatic.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Vitor_vdp
Nope.

I didn't find Prince Avalanche as good as people in this thread led me to believe, but it was still quite good. I liked the first half more, it was slow and uneventful but I really sat there and was able to kind of absorb it, it's beautiful and feels natural. Awesome photography.

Then it kind of takes a weird turn and becomes a little too try-hard at being sweet and charming, the acting and writing sort of nosedive.

Reminds me a bit of Into the Wild (not just because of Emile Hirsch) except I liked this one more.

I agree that the first half was better, but I also loved the second half.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by steve_muse
Just finished Oldboy, da fuk. I'm still pretty confused, I think. I don't even know if I'm confused or not. Anyway it was great and weird, and more fight scenes should be like that, understated yet dramatic.

Yeah I had the exact same thoughts. Definitely wanna watch it again fairly soon.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
This may have been brought up in here before, I can't remember, but do you guys think we should do like a Film Thread 2013 Film Awards type thing? I know it'd be hard to sort out release dates guidelines because we're spread out over a few countries, but I'm sure we could figure something out. We could even give it a cutesy name, like the Threadies or the UGgies.
Quote by ManInTheBox14
This may have been brought up in here before, I can't remember, but do you guys think we should do like a Film Thread 2013 Film Awards type thing? I know it'd be hard to sort out release dates guidelines because we're spread out over a few countries, but I'm sure we could figure something out. We could even give it a cutesy name, like the Threadies or the UGgies.

The only catch in that is that there are many movies that many of us haven't watched; even don't plan to watch. Of course there are also movies that some of us haven't had the chance to watch yet, but I think that it's even worse for movies that some of us simply don't plan on watching.
I watched like 8 movies of 2013 lol
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by ManInTheBox14
I like the Vonnegut I've read but I haven't read God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian. But I will tell you that Inside Llewyn Davis is excellent.

Super good. Super short. Much better than Timequake. It's quickly ascended to one of my favorites from him, and he's my fav author.
Quote by seventh_angel
The only catch in that is that there are many movies that many of us haven't watched; even don't plan to watch. Of course there are also movies that some of us haven't had the chance to watch yet, but I think that it's even worse for movies that some of us simply don't plan on watching.

psst... most critics don't see every single movie released within a year before voting on awards that matter. Shit, you think that all those people who vote for the Empire best movies evar list have seen every movie ever? This is a dumb forum award thingy we'll be fine.
Yeah, I don't think that it really matters that we haven't seen a lot of stuff. The point is to come to a consensus opinion (hence, award) as a thread. I'm sure we'd have enough in common (even though OGF would win).

^^I'll try to read it soon, then. I've been meaning to read more Vonnegut stuff (and more stuff in general, I barely read anymore).
Quote by bradulator
I agree that the first half was better, but I also loved the second half.

The second half is really what makes you go "So THIS is what it's all about". I like it better cuz the characters make more sense at that point.

There's a bunch of shit I still don't understand in the film. Like the old woman and the man and how they fit into the whole "rebuilding life" theme. There was a shot of them going up the road (when we first see them working) taken with steadicam that I have no idea why it was done that way. It seems so distinct to the rest of the film and I don't know if it has no purpose or if I can't figure out the purpose.
American Hustle = Great film, really enjoyed it.

Will never look at Bradley Cooper the same again

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by ManInTheBox14

Fundies.
Why is it that old action/adventure movies get such high praise and newer ones never do?

I was rewatching Clash of the Titans yesterday (2010 version) and decided to look at reviews. It seems to get really kind of cruddy reviews. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Jason and the Argonauts has 95% on RT, but Clash only has 28%. Why? They're basically the same movie, and both do what they set out to do very well. They're grand ancient greek-myth adventures. JatA has skeleton battles, giant statue stomping around, etc. Clash has Medusa fight, those creepy witches, huge Kraken fight, etc. They're both those kind of fun to watch, turn your brain off kind of movies, no? Is it some kinda nostalgia thing for critics or is there something I'm not seeing here?
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
There's a bunch of shit I still don't understand in the film. Like the old woman and the man and how they fit into the whole "rebuilding life" theme. There was a shot of them going up the road (when we first see them working) taken with steadicam that I have no idea why it was done that way. It seems so distinct to the rest of the film and I don't know if it has no purpose or if I can't figure out the purpose.

I've been thinking about that too. It's interesting. I kinda wanna watch it again now.
Quote by uhh_me?
Fundies.

Yes.

^I haven't seen Clash of the Titans and I've only seen part of Jason and the Argonauts. What I've seen of JatA is pretty accurate to the source, though, while Clash is supposed to be super inaccurate. Also, it may seem cheesy now, but JatA was somewhat ahead of its time in scope and effects, from what I gather, while what I've seen of Clash (trailers, etc.) looks like CGI shit.
Nah, that clash of the titans film is one of the worst things I've experienced in cinema.
Quote by ErikLensherr

I don't expect it to win any awards or anything, and other movies do CGI way better, but 28%? That's horrendous.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Seems fitting tbh, was nothing but a cash cow.
Quote by ErikLensherr

My favourite thing ever is when a film gets 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, even a few weeks after release.
I know I've seen that Clash of the Titans remake but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it.

So apparently the Oldboy remake got released already. Has anyone seen it and is it even worth watching?