Page 5 of 1021
Quote by homeless-john
I know I've seen that Clash of the Titans remake but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it.

So apparently the Oldboy remake got released already. Has anyone seen it and is it even worth watching?

I haven't seen it but critics/Letterboxd/people in here (I think) say it's dismal.
Having only just watched the original last night, it seems pretty stupid for a Westernised remake.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I just wish more people remade bad movies in a good way.

Quote by ManInTheBox14
I haven't seen it but critics/Letterboxd/people in here (I think) say it's dismal.

That's what I've heard. Also that it bombed at the box office. Oh well, didn't exactly have high hopes for it anyway. I might still check it out eventually for Sharlto Copley though.
Quote by homeless-john
I know I've seen that Clash of the Titans remake but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it.

So apparently the Oldboy remake got released already. Has anyone seen it and is it even worth watching?

I recall there being a scoripion that jumped out of a thing in slo mo, and one of my friends shouted "HOLY SHIT" in the middle of the theater. And then a guy who played Zues being very hammy and saying RELEASE THE KRAKEN or some shit.
Yeah, I remember thinking 'there's one more film to add to Liam neeson's terrible career'

Edit: well not terrible, but he's been in a lot shitty movies as of late
Quote by ErikLensherr

Last edited by steve_muse at Jan 5, 2014,
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Has anyone else seen Russian Ark? It was pretty impressive and had it moments. I think it would be really good if you were interested in Russian history.

It's cool what they did and you can tell they've put a lot of work in it, but it's mostly a visual experience if you (like me) have no idea what's going on. It's almost an essay.
Quote by steve_muse
Nah, that clash of the titans film is one of the worst things I've experienced in cinema.

ugh yes

that was one of the movies i was most bored watching ever

i would have stopped after 5 minutes but i was watching it with others. ugh. feeling trapped watching a terrible movie.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
The new Oldboy was a perfectly good movie, but completely uninteresting compared to the original. I went with a friend who hasn't seen the original and they were kind of shocked but could take the ending in their stride, whereas the korean one completely flattens people.They kept alluding to the toughest bits of the original like the Octupus and the tongue but not actually doing anything with them, which makes it seem like its only purpose if to let people who have seen both feel smug. Kind of a strange tactic.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Shit I forgot about the octopus bit. I read after that 4 of them were eaten for that shot

And was the uber kewl fight scene emulated in the remake?
Quote by ErikLensherr

Magnificent Seven is on TCM followed by Good Bad Ugly. The Third Man is on TCM Monday night. Inglourious Basterds is on TNT in about an hour. The Departed is on AMC. The Muppet Movie is on ABC Family at 5. The Usual Suspects is on AMC tomorrow morning.

This is a good couple of days to watch movies.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by steve_muse
Shit I forgot about the octopus bit. I read after that 4 of them were eaten for that shot

And was the uber kewl fight scene emulated in the remake?

not really. they just kind of chatted and then walked around a television set.

edit: shit sorry what am I on about. The one-take fight scene was the only thing more over the top than the original haha. It was pretty good to be fair, but like, three times longer. Its like the only kind of horrific content we could handle would be a man overcoming adversaries when he is really outnumbered.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Jan 5, 2014,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
The second half is really what makes you go "So THIS is what it's all about". I like it better cuz the characters make more sense at that point.

Yeah, but I don't think it would've been so great in the second half had the first half not been so intensive on getting to know the characters in mundane situations.

There's a bunch of shit I still don't understand in the film. Like the old woman and the man and how they fit into the whole "rebuilding life" theme. There was a shot of them going up the road (when we first see them working) taken with steadicam that I have no idea why it was done that way. It seems so distinct to the rest of the film and I don't know if it has no purpose or if I can't figure out the purpose.

I read this on wikipedia after I watched it:

"While already mid-shoot, the film crew came across Joyce Payne, a resident of the area whose home was destroyed in the fire.[8] Fascinated by her story, Gordon Green included her in the film. "It wasn’t scripted at all; it was something very real for her that we documented," said Gordon Green. "It ended up being pivotal. I couldn’t imagine the movie without it now."[4]"

I don't fully understand it, but that's why I think it's such a good movie, moreso than any other I saw in 2013. It's in the same way that NCFOM was like "I don't really understand this" the first couple of times I saw it.

My initial theory is that Rudd and Hirsch became one with nature and were able to see the woman, who is something of a "ghost" figure who represents the woman who the truck driver lost.

But it could just be that the truck driver and the woman were sleeping together. The truck driver says something in the movie about never sleeping with a woman more than three times, so it could be that he is kindof intentionally not acknowledging her around them since he's slept with her that many times.

And there's also the people at the end of the movie that probably tie into the text at the beginning talking about the people who died in the fire.

Basically it made me want to watch it more and that kinda made it a great movie IMO.
Finished Shutter Island. Not a bad film, I actually enjoyed it. Slightly predictable, but I like the ending. And some of the shots were really good.
Quote by bradulator
Magnificent Seven is on TCM followed by Good Bad Ugly. The Third Man is on TCM Monday night. Inglourious Basterds is on TNT in about an hour. The Departed is on AMC. The Muppet Movie is on ABC Family at 5. The Usual Suspects is on AMC tomorrow morning.

This is a good couple of days to watch movies.

Christmas was good to us UK ones too.

Paths of Glory, All Quiet on the Western Front, Grave of the Fireflies, The Hidden Fortress (this one was really fun, most entertaining Kurosawa I've seen), The Red Shoes, Harvey, Inland Empire etc all on over the space of a week or so.

Still have a few Ray and Naruse films on the recording box that were shown recently.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
The Kings of Summer was probably my favourite film of 2013. Unfortunately, that also means that for me 2013 was a weaker year for film than 2012.

I don't know, there was some pretty good stuff. Like Father, Like Son and The Congress were probably my favourites.
It probably doesn't help that I've already more or less forgotten 2012.
CuSO4

Quote by bradulator
I read this on wikipedia after I watched it:

"While already mid-shoot, the film crew came across Joyce Payne, a resident of the area whose home was destroyed in the fire.[8] Fascinated by her story, Gordon Green included her in the film. "It wasn’t scripted at all; it was something very real for her that we documented," said Gordon Green. "It ended up being pivotal. I couldn’t imagine the movie without it now."[4]"

I don't fully understand it, but that's why I think it's such a good movie, moreso than any other I saw in 2013. It's in the same way that NCFOM was like "I don't really understand this" the first couple of times I saw it.

My initial theory is that Rudd and Hirsch became one with nature and were able to see the woman, who is something of a "ghost" figure who represents the woman who the truck driver lost.

But it could just be that the truck driver and the woman were sleeping together. The truck driver says something in the movie about never sleeping with a woman more than three times, so it could be that he is kindof intentionally not acknowledging her around them since he's slept with her that many times.

And there's also the people at the end of the movie that probably tie into the text at the beginning talking about the people who died in the fire.

Basically it made me want to watch it more and that kinda made it a great movie IMO.

That's really interesting. I don't know what I was on about the other day by the way, the ending was amazing. I should probably move it up my year-end list some. This was just a really good year.
Quote by ManInTheBox14
That's really interesting. I don't know what I was on about the other day by the way, the ending was amazing. I should probably move it up my year-end list some. This was just a really good year.

I wasn't like mad or anything haha. I just think it's got depth.

I also still think this year sucked compared to last year.
Quote by bradulator
I wasn't like mad or anything haha. I just think it's got depth.

I also still think this year sucked compared to last year.

Haha I know, I just feel dumb cause I was really tired and could only half-remember the ending. I've loved this year but that could just be cause this is the first year I've really kept up with new releases. Like, I've seen maybe a dozen movies from last year and 30 from this year.
http://vimeo.com/78314194

Short Kubrick documentary popped up on twitter if anyone's interested. Only watched a bit, keeps buffering boo
Quote by ErikLensherr

I thought for a second you meant a doc by Kubrick.

Anyway, saw the silent Nosferatu in the cinema today. Really great new soundtrack to it. Looked superb for a film that old.
has anyone seen Satantango?

I only heard about it yesterday and while my first impression was a bit "7 hour movie? lol, nah" but I'm kind of intrigued by it now...

just have to put away an entire Sunday
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jan 5, 2014,
Sweeeet, CNN is making a film on Kristen Beck. I'm really interested in that. I read her book the day it came out, and have had a tiny bit of personal correspondence with her. I'd love to see a movie do the story justice.

If Blackfish can get so much attention, hopefully Kristen Beck can as well.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Diamond Dave
has anyone seen Satantango?

I only heard about it yesterday and while my first impression was a bit "7 hour movie? lol, nah" but I'm kind of intrigued by it now...

just have to put away an entire Sunday

I started watching it and it opened with an 8-minute slow pan across a field showing a herd of cows. I thought to myself "Oh hell naw..." and stopped watching.

Not for me for that time. Maybe in the future...
I'm gonna watch Fargo again to spite you.

---

Anyway here's a question: In the Story of Film, Cousins says "Hitchcock thought movies should not be about life. He thought they were stronger than realism, and cut the everyday world out of his pictures." Italian neo-realists and Ozu and others would disagree with that view, as their films were focused on, well, real life things. Obviously there is a place for both, but which perspective on the role of film do you agree with more?
Quote by bradulator

---

Anyway here's a question: In the Story of Film, Cousins says "Hitchcock thought movies should not be about life. He thought they were stronger than realism, and cut the everyday world out of his pictures." Italian neo-realists and Ozu and others would disagree with that view, as their films were focused on, well, real life things. Obviously there is a place for both, but which perspective on the role of film do you agree with more?

Combine both, have heavily stylised films which also reflect real life, guys like Cassavettes, Woody Allen, JLG, Gus Van Sant, Korinne, Noe all do this really well. The best films are those that are have romanticised/stylish elements but still manage to reveal something about life.

Anyway, watched Good Will Hunting earlier on. Really like that film, I think it's very sweet and sincere but also entertaining and up lifting, it's nice to watch positive films now and then.

Just finished Berberian Sound Studio, truly great. One of the best films in ages, very cool concept and it's executed perfectly.

Deliberating on whether to watch The Great Gatsby or As I Lay Dying. I'm in a pretty good mood so I'm leaning towards The Great Gatsby but I do want to watch As I Lay Dying. Might just watch both.

Brad, The Butterfly Effect is very entertaining, not a good film at all but if it's on TV I'll watch it.
Quote by bradulator

I'm actually watching it right now Brad ! But I'm a bit ahead of you on pt. 8.

To me, there's space for both. To me, there's something more than mere life to drive a movie. Neo-realist movies, such as biopics ( although differently ), sometimes tend to lack a punch. Okkervil River's song "Our Life Is Not a Movie Or Maybe" has a line that says "it's just a life story, so there's no climax". And that's true to some point. I am driven a lot by the story of a movie, and that works for both approaches you mentioned, but they both have their setbacks. When movies divert too much from life they tend to become too theatrical, and when movies stick too much to mundane aspects, they tend to become too... flat, perhaps, for lack of a better word.

That said, I prefer the middle term, but I'm more inclined to something more realistic, than something more theatrical. But it mostly depends on the movie, and how it's done; that's why I don't care that much for those stapled approaches. What matters the most is that I feel some sort of connection to a movie, on every aspect. I may be overwhelmed by the complexity of the plot, the character development, the emotions underlined on a movie, the visual aspects, such as cinematography and directing, etc.
I dunno, modernism came in part as a reaction to the so-called 'realists' because they didn't think what they were depicting was the 'real' (or were comfortable with something claiming to depict the 'real'). But the modernists did focus on everyday, ordinary stuff, just in more bizarre (and accurate imo) ways. As for film, I dunno. I'd side more with the non-realism thing cos it makes more sense. Like, Blue is the Warmest Colour is probs great but the hype it has of being 'hyperreal' and stuff could be kinda damaging on what it is to a lesbian/lesbian relationships. I dunno, depicting 'real stuff' presupposes we know what everything is like and can't be altered etc
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by seventh_angel
I'm actually watching it right now Brad ! But I'm a bit ahead of you on pt. 8.

I watched that episode a few weeks ago. I've been watching them all out of order, I just was watching Ozu last night and decided to youtube the part where he talks about Ozu and then Hitchcock was on the side and I watched that one again too.

Y'all needa stop picking both when I said obviously both is best which do you view film as more in general. Like, if I were to ever make movies they would be more realistic and everyday life.
Quote by steve_muse
I dunno, depicting 'real stuff' presupposes we know what everything is like and can't be altered etc

This is a really good point.

EDIT: If I were to make films then it probably would be very realistic (**** magic realism and fantasy) but I'd use mise en scene and the technical aspects of cinema to stylise/romanticise the subject matter heavily so it's no longer that 'real' like how it's done in Irreversible or Breathless. Does that answer your question better?
Last edited by jaybsp at Jan 5, 2014,
Quote by cornmancer
Wasn't on Netflix till recently

I'm not even amazed in terms of "OMG its soo good!", more just because it's so popular in this thread and you've been around since the start.

And I thought I knew you.

Quote by bradulator

---

Neither. Or both. Talking about the degrees of realism in fiction makes no sense, because none of it is "real". Having said that I know what he means. I think really it just depends on the film. Some kitchen-sink realist movies are great, some hyper-stylised movies are great