Hey guys. I am really giving it all I can to get back my chops back and better than ever. My gear I am using now is a Squier CV Tele Custom, a Blues Jr. amp, and a 10ft cable. The guitar is set up amazingly well, and the neck is really smooth and fast for me. So I know problem isn't gear, it's my technique, which I know is sloppy.

What is happening is that when I try to play quickly, it seems like the notes aren't ringing out properly. It's almost like my fingers aren't getting out the way quick enough. This particularly happens when I am hitting successive notes on the same string. I have noticed this while working on "Lovely to See You" by the Moody Blues and "Breadfan" by Budgie (go go Tab Pro!), which have runs in which multiple, successive note picked on the same string.

I know it is tough to figure out without seeing it... Hell, it's tough to explain. I am practicing and working on my playing more than I ever have since I started playing in 1997 (and I am really enjoying the practice). If you can envision what I am talking about, throw some ideas out to me.

Thanks UG. BTW, I love Tab Pro.
Ibanez SR1200E
It's hard to pinpoint it precisely without seeing you play but it sounds like the synchronization between your hands could be off a bit.
I'd start by working on your timing and making sure it is solid. It may seem counter-intuitive to work on your picking hand when your fretting hand is the problem, but your picking hand defines the timing; your fretting hands job is to match it. If your timing is fluctuating at all, then your fretting hand has a moving target to synch up to, and your synchronization is going to suffer.
The next thing I'd look at is whether you've got enough control in your fretting hand. The fact that you have difficulty with longer phrases on one string suggests that this would be good area to work on. In Steve Vai's 10 hr workout, he shares a great practice exercise. It's a chromatic sequence that you play ascending up one string. He will start with 1-2-3-4, switch the pattern and shift up a fret and play something like 3-4-2-3, then 5-6-3-4, then 7-4-5-6, and then begin the pattern over starting on the 5th fret and continue all the way to the 16th fret. It's a great little exercise that only takes a few minutes each practice session. It's kind of a tongue twister for your fingers that really helps build control. No need to worry about playing it fast, just practice slow and steady and make sure your timing and synch are good and you are using your arm correctly to shift positions rather than reaching with your fingers.
In general, I'd slow it down a bit, practice with a metronome, and really concentrate on synching the notes up before speeding back up (and when you do, do it gradually).
Hope this helps!
Thanks because it does help.

I have used the exercise you described in the past and need to get back to doing it while focusing on fretting hand accuracy. Also, I have been practicing with a metronome app on my phone, and it has helped some.

All in all, I have noticed some improvement lately, and it is very encouraging because it is related to my increased practice time. For example, the songs I have been working on are coming to me quicker than I thought.

Once again, thanks for the help. Mojo and blessings to you.
Ibanez SR1200E
Hey man, like Se said, just slow down a bit.

You'll get it, hell, you're already a step ahead of most guys who want to sacrifice speed for tonal quality.
Quote by johnturner9
Hey man, like Se said, just slow down a bit.

You'll get it, hell, you're already a step ahead of most guys who want to sacrifice speed for tonal quality.

Thanks man. I view as temporarily giving up some speed now so I can have both speed and accuracy as I continue to practice and improve. I don't even want a lot of speed. Maybe enough to get through the solo to Paranoid while making it sound acceptable.
Ibanez SR1200E