Has anyone here got any experience with this pedal?
I tries it out today, I liked it a lot, but I didn't have a lot of time trying it out. Compared to my DS-1, it was a whole different leauge. I actually like the ds-1 in one way, but let's not get into that, hehe.

Anyway, can anyone here give me some info about this pedal; Is it good for punchy punk tones? I play into a JCM 800, tried it out into a DSL 100 head.

Last edited by juliusxxrock at Jan 4, 2014,
For replacing a ds1 I think you may find the fulltone plim-soul more to your liking, it's more punchy and i find more marshall-esque. Here's an example of mine through an ac30 on the edge of breakup with a telecaster https://soundcloud.com/harrisonatsix/r-u-mine-guitar-cover the plimsoul is set to a relatively low gain setting with the hi-cut up about 3/4 the volume around 3/4 the sustain around 1/4 and the stage 2 just below 1/4 so that probably gives you an idea of the pedals capabilities when cranked.
Quote by harrisonatsix
For replacing a ds1 I think you may find the fulltone plim-soul more to your liking, it's more punchy and i find more marshall-esque. Here's an example of mine through an ac30 on the edge of breakup with a telecaster https://soundcloud.com/harrisonatsix/r-u-mine-guitar-cover the plimsoul is set to a relatively low gain setting with the hi-cut up about 3/4 the volume around 3/4 the sustain around 1/4 and the stage 2 just below 1/4 so that probably gives you an idea of the pedals capabilities when cranked.

Just to clearify, I don't know if this is what you thought, but I'm not looking for anything similar to the ds-1. The ds-1 sounds too compressed in my ears, and the OCD sounded really full in its tone, more the way I want it.
will mention that the DS-1 is a distortion pedal and the OCD is an overdrive. when you say punk what exactly do you mean? a cranked JCM 800 back in the day was pretty punk so not sure what you are after.
Love the OCD. One of the moar versatile ODs out there IMO, but if you want to boost your 800, there's a few others I'd probably look at first.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
...there's a few others I'd probably look at first.

hey, wait... what would you look at first?

you should have been an english major, cuz that is one hell of a cliff hanger there.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by monwobobbo
will mention that the DS-1 is a distortion pedal and the OCD is an overdrive. when you say punk what exactly do you mean? a cranked JCM 800 back in the day was pretty punk so not sure what you are after.

The cranked JCM 800 would be ideal, but it's hard to achieve in a garage in the middle of a neighbourhood.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Love the OCD. One of the moar versatile ODs out there IMO, but if you want to boost your 800, there's a few others I'd probably look at first.

What would you suggest I look at?
The Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret pedal would be worth a look at, I really like the Black Cat OD1 (also known as the Freddy Fuzz). Otherwise usual suspects like a Proco Rat could work, I can get a very Dookie tone by Green Day, think Welcome to Paradise, out of my Rat.

I don't have much experience with the OCD pedals. Some people love them, some not so much. I love my Fulltone Supa Trem though, Fulltone do make good products. If you like it go with your gut instinct.

But I really recommend checking out the Dirty Little Secret pedal.
Quote by Benjirob
The Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret pedal would be worth a look at, I really like the Black Cat OD1 (also known as the Freddy Fuzz). Otherwise usual suspects like a Proco Rat could work, I can get a very Dookie tone by Green Day, think Welcome to Paradise, out of my Rat.

I don't have much experience with the OCD pedals. Some people love them, some not so much. I love my Fulltone Supa Trem though, Fulltone do make good products. If you like it go with your gut instinct.

But I really recommend checking out the Dirty Little Secret pedal.

A Dookie tone wouldn't be wrong at all!
I'm checking out demos right away
Quote by Benjirob
There's a video on YouTube for the Rat where the guy plays some Green Day, I'll find the link and post it for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNtEVrVw2NE

This is the one, around the 2 minute 40 mark. Gives you an idea anyway.

Sounds quite nice.
Altough I get confused when I read different things at different places. Some people insists that the JCM 800 has enough distortion by itself (I'm sure it does, just not at my volume level), while some people insist to turn the pre amp up all the way, even though it sounds really weird like that.

ATM I have kind of these settings:
Pre Amp - 12 o' clock
Master Vol. - 9 o' clock
Bass - 3/4 o' clock
Mid - 12 o' clock
Pres - 11 o' clock
Treble - 1 o' clock

These settings are not too accurate tho, since my JCM is at my bands rehearsing place.
The Rat might actually be an interesting idea. They do sound pretty cool, but I've never been huge on any distortions I've tried.

I'm still a huge fan of the Love Pedal Eternity. They're like a beefier tubescreamer and work great as a boost to a Marshall. Apparently you can pick up the PCB Burst for pretty cheap used. They get a lot of flack, because they're a simple circuit, but I like both of mine.

The Paul C Timmy is another one worth looking at, as well as the old standby, the Maxon OD808. The OCD has a lot of gain in it and I feel like you'd be wasting a lot of its potential purely as a boost to your JCM, but I could be wrong... I have a clone that Greeny built me, and it will probably never leave my board. It's pretty unique, but I'd try out a bunch of pedals before deciding. They're not for everyone.

Honestly, there's so many boost pedals out there, its hard for someone to tell you what is best, because no ones played them all. Heck, you might even end up prefering something like the Zvex Box of Rock
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Where I rehearse, I play through an old Marshall Super Bass 100 watt lead head. I have the volume just over halfway when we play, and play a very bright sounding Jazzmaster. The sound is getting a little close to being a little overdriven, but would still need to be cranked louder for a more dirty sound. I am not sure of how the JCM compares, but if it's similar I use a Way Huge Green Rhino overdrive pedal to get my dirty sound, and have a rat for a more distorted tone (I prefer the Green Rhino's overdrive) and a zvex fuzz factory for crazy fuzz that I use in a few places.

I think really cranked JCM's were used by punk bands like the Sex Pistols (someone will correct me here I am sure), if the amps tone is very clean when you play I'd look at a distortion pedal, if it's already breaking up I'd look at an overdrive pedal. It depends how heavy you want to go.
Quote by Benjirob
Where I rehearse, I play through an old Marshall Super Bass 100 watt lead head. I have the volume just over halfway when we play, and play a very bright sounding Jazzmaster. The sound is getting a little close to being a little overdriven, but would still need to be cranked louder for a more dirty sound. I am not sure of how the JCM compares, but if it's similar I use a Way Huge Green Rhino overdrive pedal to get my dirty sound, and have a rat for a more distorted tone (I prefer the Green Rhino's overdrive) and a zvex fuzz factory for crazy fuzz that I use in a few places.

I think really cranked JCM's were used by punk bands like the Sex Pistols (someone will me here I am sure), if the amps tone is very clean when you play I'd look at a distortion pedal, if it's already breaking up I'd look at an overdrive pedal. It depends how heavy you want to go.

I can get a distorted tone from my jcm, but that's with my pre amp rolled up a bit, so I never really reach power amp tones. That's why I rolled back the pre amp, somI can go higher on the master vol, but as it seemes, I was in need of a pedal to boost my amp into overdrive, or somethingish.
Quote by Benjirob

I think really cranked JCM's were used by punk bands like the Sex Pistols (someone will correct me here I am sure), if the amps tone is very clean when you play I'd look at a distortion pedal, if it's already breaking up I'd look at an overdrive pedal. It depends how heavy you want to go.

Oops, didn't read your second paragraf.
Well as I said I'm using a DS-1 right now, but it's not really what I wish for. It'll do for now, but I'm just planning for the future..
My amp is on basically clean with the pre amp that low,. I've heard people say that you can put a boost pedal infront of the distortion pedal, for better results. Is it true? I have a Bad Monkey also.
Get a Rat and a Green Rhino. Throw the DS-1 away.

Which JCM800 btw?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use a Whiteface Rat with my AC30 and it has a bit of a chunky, classic Green Day tone. Its got plenty of gain, I barely turn the gain past noon and its pretty beefy. I think a Rat would get you close to what you are looking for, I'd try one out.