You get them, you use them, and then you decide for yourself.

There are some general common knowledge notions, like focusrite's are good, mackie's are better, m-audio's aren't good, behringer's are bad.

Don't trust youtube, they have god knows what signal chains and play with god knows what gear - read some reviews.

If you're beginning with this stuff, my advice would be getting either a scarlett 2i4/mackie onyx blackjack or a liquid saffire 56/mackie onyx blacbird together with some mictube duos, depending on how much stuff you need to record at a time.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I Have an M-audio interface, and never had a problem with the pre's

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 4, 2014,
Quality level is not the same as a fault.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Spambot_2

There are some general common knowledge notions, like focusrite's are good, mackie's are better, m-audio's aren't good, behringer's are bad.

Focusrite has a range - some better than others. Same with M-Audio - the ones in their Profire units, I believe are a significant step up from their Fast-Track units. Behringers are surprisingly good (again, the newer ones, like in their ADA8000 and Xenyx products are better than their older ones in their MR series products), and I'd honestly be surprised if the Mackies were any better.

That all said, they are all in that entry-level or "pro-sumer" league.

Quote by lp4lifessamberl
im looking at audio interfaces but how can you tell how good the.preamps are?

It's generally impractical to hear them all for yourself before choosing what to buy.

Look for reviews on line - particularly from trusted publications (ex. Sound On Sound, Recording Magazine, etc.)

Also, price will be an indicator. If you're getting four preamps for $250, or one channel of preamp for $1000, you KNOW there's going to be a big difference.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.