So i have been playing guitar for several years composed songs and all of that and can play and compose just fine with a metronome and everything. The problem is that im so lost with sound and sounding good! I have a fender stratacastor and Squier Jaguar and use a floor pod plus that has all the effects except for like overdrive but it has wah chorus flanger octave everything. I do not know what im doing. I just crank the treble, or keep middle 5 bass 5 and treble 5 but i cant figure out how to sound good which is really important. Someone please help me or give me some advice of what can be done!
I think sometimes the floor pods or pods in general are the problem. There's too much there and you get bogged down turning knobs, altering this and that and editing on the computer. I just sold my Pod and got a 2 channel amp. I want to get some pedals but I'm gonna wait until I master the sounds of the Amp and then start adding one pedal at a time and explore the sound changes there. Simple pedals with a few knobs. KISS.

That's my plan anyway.

Good luck man.
Sorry to say, but you won't get a decent tone with that equipment. Get a decent amp and guitar. Squiers are for beginners at best.

What is the music genre you want to play anyway?
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Quote by Dragonfyre137
Sorry to say, but you won't get a decent tone with that equipment. Get a decent amp and guitar. Squiers are for beginners at best.

+1
You're not gonna get anywhere with a Squier. A Squier is a cheaply made Fender copy from Mexico or Japan. They are the guitars for the ten year old kid who played Guitar Hero and wanted to pick up a guitar. Also, Throwing on a bunch of effects isn't going to help at all. You may want to go up on stage with your fancy little pedal board and look cool and stuff, but pedals usually do something negative to your tone.

Ask yourself and answer these questions:
1. What do you want in your tone?
2. What style of music do you want to play?
3. What genre of music do you like?
4. Are you willing to get a new amp and guitar to get better tone?
5. How serious are you about playing guitar?

If you are serious about playing, post answers to these question. This will help everyone help you. Hoped this helped
The sheer unjustified snobbery of the last two posts astounds me.

TS, ignore those two stuck-up posers. There's nothing wrong with a Squier, I've known plenty of professional, gigging musicians who have no qualms about going on stage with a Squier. Granted they may not be their main guitar but they're a capable backup and you should have the slightest bit of shame about playing one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm with Steven - there's nothing stopping you from getting your Squier to sound OK. Are you playing with an amp? (or headphones?). You might find yourself lacking in the bass end with headphones or a small practice amp.

Regarding getting that tone, is it mainly a clean or distorted sound that you are trying to get at?

For me, I would start by practicing getting a good basic tone (no chorus, flanger, etc). Get the basic sound first, then tweak if those affects are using up some of your tone somewhere. You'll find a lot of interaction between the tone knob on your guitar, the effect pedals, and the amp (and there's a whole lot of discussion and arguing about how to handle that, so I'll skip that now). I like to exaggerate each tone control full up and down just to let my ear figure out what that control is doing to the sound. Then I go back to the middle and try to just nudge things in the direction that sounds better.

Although there are some really interesting sounds to get with tone knobs cranked -10 or +10, I'd say that you'll more often do better, at least at the beginning, by avoiding that. Otherwise, you'll think, hey, that sounds good with the bass at +10. But now the mid is too low so I'll boost that to +10. But now there's no treble, so I'll put that at +10. You can find yourself really chasing a good sound.

If the sound you want is a really heavy distortion sound, then you might need a guitar with humbuckers in them (vs. the single coils of a strat for example). You might not get that fat distorted sound without the right pickups, so you might try borrowing a friend's guitar with humbuckers and see if that's what you're looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFaWYSr6d_Y

Yeah, I guess it's just impossible to sound good with a Squier...

Quote by sovaso
pedals usually do something negative to your tone.

What the... you're serious? You're going to say, without any irony, that pedals almost always do something bad to your tone?

I'm 12 and what is this...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by steven seagull
The sheer unjustified snobbery of the last two posts astounds me.

Sorry for sounding snobby then, but no need to get offensive.

In my opinion all the POD are toys. No more, no less. All the built in amp simulations and effects sound like 80's Atari game effects. You basically can't get a decent tone out of it. It would be way better and easier if TS bought an actuall amp.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Jan 4, 2014,
Quote by Dragonfyre137
Sorry for sounding snobby then, but no need to get offensive.

In my opinion all the POD are toys. No more, no less. All the built in amp simulations and effects sound like 80's Atari game effects. You basically can't get a decent tone out of it. It would be way better and easier if TS bought an actuall amp.

Hello, 2005 called, they want their opinions back.

If you're willing to tweak a bit it's perfectly possible to get perfectly usable tones out of modern line6 gear. Then I guess you'd also have to pull your head out of your ass for that...

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hello, 2005 called, they want their opinions back.

If you're willing to tweak a bit it's perfectly possible to get perfectly usable tones out of modern line6 gear. Then I guess you'd also have to pull your head out of your ass for that...

What the heck is your problem? Did I insult you in any way? I explicitly stated that what I was merely stating my opinion. No need to insult me for doing so.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Quote by Dragonfyre137
What the heck is your problem? Did I insult you in any way? I explicitly stated that what I was merely stating my opinion. No need to insult me for doing so.

That what you stated was an opinion does not make you immune from criticism. The right to freedom of speech also incurs the responsibility of dealing with the fallout.

Now on to why: you are ignorant. Not only are you ignorant but you display absolutely no wish to change that; your opinions are outdated by at the very least 5 years in the case of amps and well over a decade in the case of guitars.

Not only that but you speak about all PODs as if they are all the same, which hasn't been true for... ever as far as I know. The range now includes the standard little kidney bean things, floor units, rack units and those are all split in to the standard POD range and the POD HD range which use different software and hardware for modelling. Not that it makes that much difference any more any way, even the bottom of the POD range is still vastly improved over the kind of modelling you used to get in their products.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That what you stated was an opinion does not make you immune from criticism. The right to freedom of speech also incurs the responsibility of dealing with the fallout.

I never said I didn't want criticism. In contrary, I greet criticism like a friend because that's what you learn from most. But what you gave me was not criticism. You merely insulted me without an actual reason, which really doesn't make you look like someone who wants to help.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Now on to why: you are ignorant. Not only are you ignorant but you display absolutely no wish to change that; your opinions are outdated by at the very least 5 years in the case of amps and well over a decade in the case of guitars.

Those are very bold assumptions you're making there. And from what? One or two posts of mine you've read? Don't give me the Freud. You don't know me and give yourself the right to judge me like you knew me my whole life? In fact I like learning all possible things about my instrument and gear. But so far I had very bad experience with both Squiers and the POD series.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not only that but you speak about all PODs as if they are all the same, which hasn't been true for... ever as far as I know. The range now includes the standard little kidney bean things, floor units, rack units and those are all split in to the standard POD range and the POD HD range which use different software and hardware for modelling. Not that it makes that much difference any more any way, even the bottom of the POD range is still vastly improved over the kind of modelling you used to get in their products.

As stated above, I had bad experience with PODs so far. I had tried out like 3 or 4 of them an was never really content with their sound. And yes, I do know how to get the tone I want. The sound I got was simply not as good as any other modelling amp. I'd love to get my hands on a POD that I could actually use and like, but I'm very sceptical, wich in my opinion is reasonable. This is simply my experience and my opinion. No need to insult me for that.

Again, I'm open for all possible verbal input, as long as it is constructive and kind. Your comments towards me displayed neither of those.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Quote by Dragonfyre137

Thank you all very much for the responses in this very helpful discussion. I love early Nirvana bleach era, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Green Day and Blink 182 which should be easy enough. I use a Marshall 3o mg amp. My squier jaguar HH has humbukers and really is loud and a beast. It is way heavier than my Fender stratacastor which only has single coil pickups and I am quite attached to the guitar altough it does have a sort of digital sound. I guess I should invest in boss pedals one by one like a wah pedal, overdrive eq and then all the others and see where it goes from there. I am not the best guitar player but i love writing and composing songs using musical theory and in order to be successful at that I need to work out how I can sound good. Usually it is a mess but i really enjoy sloppy playing with tonnes of feedback kind of like Kurt Cobain and even Jimmy page maybe to some extent. I Saw BLink 182s tom Delonge use the squier in one of their heaviest songs called Obvious and it worked out fine for him. So since punk is usually low budget and i know they do care about how they sound I think it is possible to get by with a jaguar and a fender stratacastor. I guess i should try and get a better multi effects processor or buy new pedals one by one

thanks everyone for your help and advice!
Personally, my advice would be to learn a bit more about how to use your floor pod and what it actually does. Look into the amps it models and try to decide on which would be appropriate for the type of sound you're trying to achieve.

For example, you won't get a good Led Zep sound from the treadplate model. Try a Brit classic.

The biggest giveaway is that you haven't said what's specifically wrong with your sound, which suggests that you don't really know yet. Spend a bit of time tweaking the options to find out what each control does, then you'll be able to tell what's wrong when it doesn't sound right