Thinking about buying a Egnater Tweaker 15 head and Tweaker 212 cab.I play mostly blues and classic rock.Has anybody had one or used one before?
as a tweaker owner please take my advice for the best tweaker rig.

DO NOT buy that cab. not that there is anthing wrong with it. but PLEASE get an avatar.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

the site seems hokie, but do your research. they are quality. and they come with your choice of celestion speakers, tolex, model etc. they are VERY WELL MADE, very customizable, and CHEAP.

i personally called the guys and have them take my order, they even accepted my request to mount the feet on the side so that i could stand my 2x12 up vertically. they even gave me 4 x replacement rubber feet free in the box in case i wanted to later mount feet on the other end.

NOW, the tweaker 15 is not bad, but please save up the 400 and buy a tweaker 40. a few reasons:

1. its the same layout, but you get 2x of everything. 2x. its double the amp.

2. 6l6 power section. totally different response. the tweakers go from 6v6, 6l6, and kt88 with built in boosts and an extra 12ax7. THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT AMPS. these tube layout and differences are fairly drastic. the tweaker 40 is going to allow more clean headroom, better bas response, etc. you can easily gig with the 40 watt. the 15? meh.

3. the tweaker 40 is still easy to play at low volume despite its higher wattage. that is why i bought it, and good tone at low volume seems to be a hallmark of the tweaker series. perhaps not the 88.

4. the preamp behaves relatively the same, so all the great tone and settings in the 15 are more of less the same.

i think for the same amount retail, you can get the amp setup in my sig and be WAY better off.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Everybodies ears are different so I respectfully add in check out the Rebel jic. I like the same sorta tone and prefer the Rebel due to the thicker tone.

I do fully agree that Egnater cabs are outright horrible. I'm sure a speaker swap would help but they are way overpriced for a cab that needs a speaker swap immediately, at least, Imo. Great amps, horrible cabs.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm really surprised that people don't seem to like the egnater cabs. I can't say I've tried one in a long time, but I remember being quite impressed with them with my renegade.

Looking at the specs they have modified G12H-30 speakers in them. My favourite speaker combination is a a vintage30/G12H-30 2x12

I can't imagine the speakers being bad to the point of needing an immediate speaker swap.

Nevertheless, avatar cabs are fantastic for the price if you live in the US. So definitely look at them.

I'd also say that if the amp is anything like the renegade than different tube types, whilst definitely having an impact, will not completely change the sound/tone of the amp. It's more a feel thing imo. Different response, different attack, but same overarching amp tone.
RIP Gooze

cats
Thanks for the response I play at home and every now and then a blues jam for that I take my Peavey classic 30 so I think the 15 will do me just fine unless I see a deal on the 40.The avatar cabs look good I will look more into them I think the vintage 30s would be good for my style. I don't want to spend over 900.00
Last edited by telejojo at Jan 4, 2014,
I prefer the Rebel 20 over the Tweaker 15, it sounds like a bigger, fuller amp than the Tweaker 15.

V30's would not be my first choice with the styles you play. I'd look at a Greenback or G12h30 speaker first
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i found a Tweaker 40 on flea bay 6mo. old and offered 350 and he took it so I have the amp now so now a cab.The Avatar 212 cab is on sale for 345.00 I looked at the Orange 212 but it was 600 I think that is overpriced for the same speakers as the Avatar.Also thinking about the egnater 212 cab.
there is a brand called Studio 7 on ebay and their 2x12 cabs with G12h30's is $279 with free shiping or V30's for $299

That is a great deal on the Avatar though, I'd get the Creambacks for what you want
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
WIN! nice man glad you took my advice.

i am mostly a bedroom player aside from jamming with people acasionally, played with some bands in the past. point is, i have the setup you are looking at and it works fine at low volumes.

like most tube amps, you will find they sound differnet at low / high volumes, so i have discovered my preference of settings for my "bedroom" tone.
_____

i ordered WGS speakers and installed them myself, but the WGS / celestion equivalents i run are a v30 and a g12H30, which is a fairly well known combo.
_____

i also forgot to mention - a very good modification is replacing the preamp tubes on the tweaker series, well probably all egnaters. egnater uses sovtek 12ax7was, known to be very fizzy any blurry when the gain is turned up. if you change the tubes the tone will most certainly improve. if you dont want to do all 3, then just do the first one, V1 spot. about a 15 dollar upgrade fro one tube.

not an egnater problem. its just companies trying to pick highly available, cost effective parts to mass produce. a lot of companies use these tubes stock. they are pretty god aweful.

_____

i originally thought i wanted the rebel series. however, the main appeal was based on the power scaling, which i found didnt do much for overall volume. i also found it to be a very low gain amp, dont think it had as much as the tweaker, so i didnt feel like it could be as versatile with genres.

given its higher price and lack of these things, i went with a tweaker and i am happy. However, i do like the rebels, great sounding, and as a whole probably better than the tweakers. not for me though.

i really think unless you gig, the tube mix and power scaling are entirely useless. the assignable reverb per channel with spill over is VERY nice though.

in retrospect, i would like to have power scaling on my tweaker, but i guess we really cant have everything. certainly not for 300-700.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by telejojo
i found a Tweaker 40 on flea bay 6mo. old and offered 350 and he took it so I have the amp now so now a cab.The Avatar 212 cab is on sale for 345.00 I looked at the Orange 212 but it was 600 I think that is overpriced for the same speakers as the Avatar.Also thinking about the egnater 212 cab.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal
I'd snap an avatar up at that price. I'd recommend a vintage 30/G12H-30 combo. A greenback would also work very well for your style.
RIP Gooze

cats
Avatar makes good cabs man. I had a Traditional closed back 212 with a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80. I can't recommend them enough. Dave, the owner, at Avatar is great to work with and can help you determine the best speaker selection and will keep you up to date on YOUR build (they are built to order basically based on your specs). They also have rebranded Celestions too that you should look into. They are broken in for 20 hours I think and are called Hellatones.

Otherwise, the Egnater 212 cab should be pretty decent and ship with good speakers.

Make sure you do a NAD thread when all is said and done. Good luck.

v....Yeah, they have a great speaker selection. Celestion, Hellatone, WGS, Eminence.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 5, 2014,
yeah i have the WGS version of that v30 g12h30 combo and i LOVE it.
___

you can request avatar to tilt the cab up vertically. i did this so that the speakers would be higher off the ground and disperse sound more. the tweaker 40 head fits perfect on a vertical 1x12 cab.

the g12H30 is on top, and per WGS specs is about 1-2 DB louder than the v30 clone, so the g12H30 is the dominant sound, the verteran 30 being more of a filler. and i LOVE the combo.

this makes for a 60 watt cab (1x 60 watt speaker, 1x 30 watt speaker - take the lowest wattage and multiply by total speakers = 30 watts times 2 = 60 watt cab for my 40 watt head). i doubt i will ever own more than a 50 watt head. i dont want to.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
I ordered the Egnater 212 from Sweetwater I could'nt turn down 24mo interest free.I'll use there money and keep mine in savings.Should have it together this week and post NAD.
Last edited by telejojo at Jan 6, 2014,
FWIW, even though the thread is pretty much solved, I think Egnater makes fine cabs. Personally, I would have much prefered the matching cab to my Vengeance over the Jet City 2x12 I bought, but I didn't have the money

Also, my Vengeance shipped with Tung-Sol's in V1 + V2 and Shuguang's in the rest of the amp.

Good call on getting the Tweaker 40 over the 15. To me, the Tweaker 15 was nothing more than a test to see what kind of response the series would get, with the 40 and 88 always being the "true" incarnations of the amp. The 15 is fun to play with and is okay for someone with no idea what they want on a tight budget, but there are generally better choices for that size/budget. Obviously, that's just my opinion and view on it, but the 15 always seemed like more of a gimmicky toy, whereas the 40 and 88 can definitely hold their ground.

You'll have to come join us over in the Official Egnater Thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339413&page=1&pp=20