Does anyone know any good movable chord (major.minor,sus,aug,dim) shapes that can come in handy? I'm not talking about common ones like the E shape or the full bar B-Flat shape at the first fret.
Thanks!
The best answer to this is to come up with your own. If you don't yet know the theory to construct chords, then just looks at what notes are in the chords you already know, and then come up with your own way to voice those notes. I'm just speaking for myself here, but I never really actively learned chord shapes past the basic open and barre chords. I just knew the theory to build them on a whim.
There are some nice ones with 3 or 4 strings. But like Macabre Turtle said, it's better if you figure them out yourself. But, unlike Macabre Turtle said, I'd say you should try to memorise them.
Quote by sickman411
There are some nice ones with 3 or 4 strings. But like Macabre Turtle said, it's better if you figure them out yourself. But, unlike Macabre Turtle said, I'd say you should try to memorise them.

I agree that memorizing them is important as well. It takes too much brain power to try and figure out everything on the fly while playing.
Quote by sickman411
But, unlike Macabre Turtle said, I'd say you should try to memorise them.

I memorize the ones I come up with, of course. I just don't learn whatever default versions are being taught by the chord books. I don't actively set out to memorize the chords I'm coming up with either though. It just happens on its own after a few minutes of fiddling around with it. The chord shapes I come up with are just modifications of other shapes I know anyway. For instance, say I know I want an Amaj7. I'd start with a basic A chord that I typically use, like x7999x, and then I find a root and drop it to the 7th giving me x7989x. Maybe then I quickly decided that I want a 9th in there. I grab that 3rd at the top and drop it to a 9th giving me x7987x. After a couple minutes of playing around with progressions using these, I never have to think about building them again. That's my thought process though. It might not work for everybody.
I can make all the regular open chords Cmaj , Dmin, E min, F...ect
and slide up and down the neck. Using the A string as a guide.
It's just an exercise I came up with.

I bar my index . Then make an VI chord. Then I'll just move my pinky
up to play the Root note of the parent scale.
Kind of like making an open C chord but using different fingers...
Then the D min chord and so on and so forth. All the regular chords in the scale.

It helps me a lot to strengthen fingers. (so I can construct other chords)
It also help me to navigate the neck quicker.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
every chord shape is movable. The question is whether or not you like how it sounds.

Quote by cdgraves
Every chord your fingers can reach is moveable.

Except any chord with an open note in it.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Except any chord with an open note in it.

Well you can move all the open chord shapes, but for some it's a lot easier to simply opt for a different voicing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well you can move all the open chord shapes, but for some it's a lot easier to simply opt for a different voicing.

If you completely change your fingering to do so, the most common examples being the chords that become the traditional barre chords. I'm not sure that qualifies, but

I suppose that's something worth mention to OP. Much like the traditional 6 string barre chords imitate the open E chords, and the traditional 5 string barre chords imitate the open A chords, do this with any open chord as long as you can manage to finger it. For example, I look at the basic C chord (x32010), and I move that, barring what would have been the open strings, to play something like x87565. Some chord shapes wouldn't be so practical, such as the open G shape. There is no good comfortable way to play something like 875588, but you could just drop a note or two for something like x75588, or 8755xx, or 8x558x. This should be a useful idea for you to play with.