I have a question about indicating slides in tablature. I'm looking at a tab for Pink Floyd - Dogs, and this is what I see

guitar solo (with intro chords):
1---/12---13--12--12--10----------------------------------------|
2-------------------------10--12--13--13--12--10----------------|
3-------------------------------------------------12--10--9--7--|
4---------------------------------------------------------------|
5---------------------------------------------------------------|
6---------------------------------------------------------------|

(The full tab for context: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/pink_floyd/dogs_ver2_tab.htm)

As you can see, the first note indicates to slide up into 12 on the 1st string, but if there's no note preceding it then I don't understand how you can slide up into it? Thanks in advance for any help.
To my knowledge you literally just put your finger on the string and slide up to the 12th fret. If you slide hard and fast enough it should make a loud and clear enough sound.
Slides like this can be executed from just about anywhere - the accuracy comes from making sure you land on the right note.

If you're just starting out, I'd suggest just sliding up from the 10th fret or so, depending on how much practice you've had doing slides. At a more intermediate level, people might be sliding the whole neck or from an arbitrary point further down.
Quote by chaoscypher
Slides like this can be executed from just about anywhere - the accuracy comes from making sure you land on the right note.

If you're just starting out, I'd suggest just sliding up from the 10th fret or so, depending on how much practice you've had doing slides. At a more intermediate level, people might be sliding the whole neck or from an arbitrary point further down.

Sounds good, appreciate the help.