There are a few possibilities as to why you feel this way. Some include:

(1) You're playing style is different than the guitarist who recorded the song. No two players play exactly the same way, so you're take on the part will sound slightly different than another guy. Even if you're playing it absolutely perfectly, there'll be subtleties.

(2) You might not have the part up to par and as clean (technique-wise). If you have trouble with a certain section in a song, it'll feel and hear completely different than what the artist has done in that song.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Do you think it's easier to play other people's songs or write your own songs

Is it normal to feel this way?
I thought if I could eventually learn Pantera songs it would be better than not seeing Dime play them... but me playing them will still be Dimebag not playing them... know what I mean?
Yes, how can I forget to add the third point. And for future reference, instead of adding posts every time you forgot to say something, there is an "Edit" option at the bottom of your post.

As for me, I enjoy playing others songs as well as writing my own. I mean, I felt like I could perfectly replicate an artist when I first started playing, but I don't feel that way anymore. Even though I can play quite a few GNR songs, I don't sound like either Slash or Izzy. It's the same way with knowing a handful of Mr Big songs since I'll never sound exactly like Paul Gilbert.
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Yes, how can I forget to add the third point. And for future reference, instead of adding posts every time you forgot to say something, there is an "Edit" option at the bottom of your post.

As for me, I enjoy playing others songs as well as writing my own. I mean, I felt like I could perfectly replicate an artist when I first started playing, but I don't feel that way anymore. Even though I can play quite a few GNR songs, I don't sound like either Slash or Izzy. It's the same way with knowing a handful of Mr Big songs since I'll never sound exactly like Paul Gilbert.

I *want* to play Children of Bodom, BFMV and Pantera to play the songs they never play. Is this a stupid concept?

It's better than not hearing the songs live... but I'm not the artist.

Is it classed as hearing the song live if I'm playing the song?

I asked Laiho if he could add 'Touch Like Angel Of Death' live at the gig and he said "we have a few songs from the older albums in the set" or something like that.

It's different playing something versus listening to it.

And sorry.
Last edited by jamesiles2004 at Jan 4, 2014,
Well, most artist don't play every single song of theirs in concert. When I went to go see Guns N Roses, they didn't play the song "Dead Horse" off their UYI album. Even back in the "classic" line-up, they rarely, if ever played that song.

Sometimes, if you want to hear the song live and not off a recording, it's better for you to learn it yourself and play it. Not only will you enjoy listening to the song, it'll also help you improve as a player since you're learning more material.
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Well, most artist don't play every single song of theirs in concert. When I went to go see Guns N Roses, they didn't play the song "Dead Horse" off their UYI album. Even back in the "classic" line-up, they rarely, if ever played that song.

Sometimes, if you want to hear the song live and not off a recording, it's better for you to learn it yourself and play it. Not only will you enjoy listening to the song, it'll also help you improve as a player since you're learning more material.

True... but it's still not the artist performing it. Still, I guess I've gotta compromise haven't we?

I have my eyes on the BFMV Scream Aim Fire album...

What about bands that have two guitars, though?
Last edited by jamesiles2004 at Jan 4, 2014,