This sort of topic would fit better in the Musician Talk or Guitar Technique forums. I'm sure a mod would be more than likely to move it for you.

Personally, I have been using my ear a lot more over the past 2 years and my playing has certainly improved. I'm still not the greatest at it, but I can get most of the things worked out given that I enough time to work on it. I only use tabs if there is a section that I just can get, or I feel like there is too much going on in the song.

Another thing you have to watch out for is the fact that most tabs are incorrect. I don't mean incorrect as in playing an E on the 7th fret on the A string instead of the 2nd fret of the D string. Some tabs are just incorrect note wise and aren't similar to the actual song. I've seen countless tabs on here and other sites where it's just a basic idea of the song and you'll have to figure the rest out for yourself.

So, in the long run, relying more on your own ear instead of tabs will be more beneficial to your growing as a player.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95
This sort of topic would fit better in the Musician Talk or Guitar Technique forums. I'm sure a mod would be more than likely to move it for you.

Personally, I have been using my ear a lot more over the past 2 years and my playing has certainly improved. I'm still not the greatest at it, but I can get most of the things worked out given that I enough time to work on it. I only use tabs if there is a section that I just can get, or I feel like there is too much going on in the song.

Another thing you have to watch out for is the fact that most tabs are incorrect. I don't mean incorrect as in playing an E on the 7th fret on the A string instead of the 2nd fret of the D string. Some tabs are just incorrect note wise and aren't similar to the actual song. I've seen countless tabs on here and other sites where it's just a basic idea of the song and you'll have to figure the rest out for yourself.

So, in the long run, relying more on your own ear instead of tabs will be more beneficial to your growing as a player.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scream-Aim-Fire-Guitar-Songbook/dp/0571531741/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388852282&sr=8-1&keywords=scream+aim+fire+tab

What's the pros and the cons of buying this book versus the free tabs here?

Thanks.
I'll just compile a list of pros and cons.

Pros:

(1) All the songs on the album are present, not just the hits or singles.

(2) More than likely, it'll have all the guitar parts to the song.

(3) It'll be the most official form and they'll be a bit more precise.

Cons:

(1) Possibility of minor discrepancies and errors in the tab. This can be printing errors or a few notes being slightly off.

(2) If you don't want to learn every song off the album, you can save money and use tabs off the site.
Quote by aerosmithfan95
I'll just compile a list of pros and cons.

Pros:

(1) All the songs on the album are present, not just the hits or singles.

(2) More than likely, it'll have all the guitar parts to the song.

(3) It'll be the most official form and they'll be a bit more precise.

Cons:

(1) Possibility of minor discrepancies and errors in the tab. This can be printing errors or a few notes being slightly off.

(2) If you don't want to learn every song off the album, you can save money and use tabs off the site.

I want to learn:

Scream aim fire
Waking the deamon
Take it out on me
Say goodnight
Eye of the storm
and hearts burst into fire

(Eventually).

Should I get the book?

(The last four they never play much, if at all... live).
How long should it take to learn one of their songs?

My focus is probably on the four they never play live (much).

Also, why isn't their first album tabbed?

Do you think there's much point in learning the songs the band *always* plays?
Last edited by jamesiles2004 at Jan 4, 2014,
the way that works for you is the best way. explore the options and see what works. first you have to have the ability to play them technique wise otherwise you are in for a mountain of frustration. tabs are good and with some time in you will be able to pick up parts by ear. no book etc will be able to teach you the little things like getting the vibrato just the same so that just plain takes work on your part.

learn the songs you want to play. you need no reason other than you want to learn it.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jan 4, 2014,
Well, since you want to learn practically the entire thing, I would buy the book. And I honestly have no clue as to why their first album isn't tabbed.

There is no specific time frame that it would take to learn a song. It all depends on your skill level and how much effort you put into learning it. If I had to guess, it would take a week to get the general idea of the song (the parts, how they connect, the timing, etc) and a few more weeks of practicing it until you can play it cleanly.
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Well, since you want to learn practically the entire thing, I would buy the book. And I honestly have no clue as to why their first album isn't tabbed.

There is no specific time frame that it would take to learn a song. It all depends on your skill level and how much effort you put into learning it. If I had to guess, it would take a week to get the general idea of the song (the parts, how they connect, the timing, etc) and a few more weeks of practicing it until you can play it cleanly.

I see. I have 50% of say goodnight done. I guess I'll keep it up.

What song on this album is the hardest to play/learn?

-0-/2---0h2

Where does the slide begin?

Do I have to do the bend and return in this tab?

|--------------------------12-14-17b19r17-------|
|-----------------12-13-15----------------15~~--|
|--------11-12-14-------------------------------|
|--12-14----------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------|
Last edited by jamesiles2004 at Jan 4, 2014,