I know they discontinued both the Flying V and Explorer a year or two ago. I do't usually keep up with the latest trends and productions of companies, so I wasn't aware that they even brought it back.

It makes sense though since it's one of their popular models along with the Les Paul and SG. I mean, if they brought back something like the Corvus, Marauder, or Moderne (doesn't Zakk Wylde have a model of them out?), I'd be a bit more surprised.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95
I know they discontinued both the Flying V and Explorer a year or two ago. I do't usually keep up with the latest trends and productions of companies, so I wasn't aware that they even brought it back.

It makes sense though since it's one of their popular models along with the Les Paul and SG. I mean, if they brought back something like the Corvus, Marauder, or Moderne (doesn't Zakk Wylde have a model of them out?), I'd be a bit more surprised.

Yeah, Zakk has a sig Moderne now, ill admit, I think it looks fugly, but I wouldnt be embarrassed to play it.

Now just if Gibson would actually release the 1984 Explorer as a full time model.....
Quote by WantsLesPaul
My god those things look horrible.

The V's or the Zakk?

I love the look of V's, but never liked them with open coils.

The Zakk, like I said, is fugly, but probably a nice guitar.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Both

Perhaps you should go play one.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by gregs1020
no korina '58 types?

**** you gibson.

You could always try one of these korina Vs:
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/volcano/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/volcano-ra-fm/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
nah i'll grab another bacchus at some point.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 4, 2014,
I can't get over the painted fretboard. Ugly. Maybe when the black one goes on mega-sale 12 months from now. Maybe.
Am I the only person who didn't realise both the V's and Explorer's were discontinued at all? As far as I've seen them, they've always been on sale for years.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
You're not alone.

I suspect that this happens with most major guitar makers- as with other manufacturers, they'll keep track of unsold inventory, so tht if the market gets glutted with a model that isn't selling, they'll slow down or cease production until supply thins out a bit.

And in the meantime, their design teams can do a bit of tweaking...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 4, 2014,
Zakk's the biggest troll ever, signature modernes because he can . However, I love what he did with his signature, where the stripes looks like it's placed on top of the actual body of the guitar, or it's just done with a router, either way I dig that part.

But I like the flying V. If there ever was a V I'd play, it'd probably be the Gibson. My buds got an explorer and it's just tooo ****in big.
Looks like a full-body pickguard to me.

Edit: I take that back- no visible screws.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 4, 2014,
they go in and out of production like firebirds and everything else gibson makes aside the SG and LP.
They need to bring back the V in more colors than just black. That moderne however...i don't like it
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
I kinda wish they did a higher production number of snow falcons. I have the thunderhorse and would like to add that to my collection. A Gibson version not an epiphione version.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Perhaps you should go play one.

I'm sort of in the same boat -- I've already got as many V's as I need (one non-Gibson) and a couple of Exploder-type guitars (again, non-Gibson).
...Exploder-type guitars (again, non-Gibson).

What's the QC like on THOSE?

I'd like to see a CS RI of the 58 V.
Moving on.....
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What's the QC like on THOSE?

That wasn't a typo!

I have Moonstones (and Exploder's what he calls the Explorer shaped guitars):

The V dates from the '70's. Brazilian f/b, solid brass trem, figured maple neck-through with mahogany body wings with maple burl tops and bottoms, Tom Anderson pickups (Bartolinis on the Exploder).
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 4, 2014,
^ I really like the natrual finish on both of those guitars. The woods on them look beautiful.

Quote by Masoo2
Yeah, Zakk has a sig Moderne now, ill admit, I think it looks fugly, but I wouldnt be embarrassed to play it.

Now just if Gibson would actually release the 1984 Explorer as a full time model.....

I agree, Modernes are just ugly looking guitars. I kind of wish that Gibson brings back the Goddess line so I can an easier chance of getting a Gibson Les Paul in Roseburst.
Skip the username, call me Billy
I hadn't noticed that the V and Ex were back, but I'm glad they are. I have wanted a V for a long time, but only a Gibson V for some reason. I think they have a good look to them, and the only one I ever played actually felt comfortable to me. I will definitely shoot for saving up a bit of cash to get one. Maybe they will get blown out just before Black Friday again.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by dspellman
That wasn't a typo!

I have Moonstones (and Exploder's what he calls the Explorer shaped guitars):

The V dates from the '70's. Brazilian f/b, solid brass trem, figured maple neck-through with mahogany body wings with maple burl tops and bottoms, Tom Anderson pickups (Bartolinis on the Exploder).

Ah! I had forgotten those beauties! Hanks for sharing those again!

Hey everyone. Iowa Guitar Man here. I've got a guitar with some questions attached. It is a white on black Flying V that is identified with the name GRAND on the headstock. Nothing else. Can't find anything online about it. The tuners are clean, no Gibson logo on them. It's in a Gibson case. Appears to be 1970s-ish. Anyone have any information on it I would appreciate it.

It has 2 dual coil pickups. 3 control knobs - Volume, Volume, Tone, in a triangle layout, and a three position selector toggle. Hard maple neck.

Hit me with any more questions or comments.

IGM~
Quote by IowaGuitarMan
Hey everyone. Iowa Guitar Man here. I've got a guitar with some questions attached. It is a white on black Flying V that is identified with the name GRAND on the headstock. Nothing else. Can't find anything online about it. The tuners are clean, no Gibson logo on them. It's in a Gibson case. Appears to be 1970s-ish. Anyone have any information on it I would appreciate it.

It has 2 dual coil pickups. 3 control knobs - Volume, Volume, Tone, in a triangle layout, and a three position selector toggle. Hard maple neck.

Hit me with any more questions or comments.

IGM~

It would be better if you made a thread about this and post some pictures. Upload them on Photobucket or similar site.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3