The last few weeks I've been doing economy picking instead of alternate for my 3 nps scale shapes, (down, up, down, - down, up, down, -down etc). It's pretty strange and I'm still faster alt picking them, but they seem to be pretty fluid sounding and more economical. I think in a few more weeks I'll be faster than alt picking which I've been practicing for years.

So anyone have any experience changing to or just using more economy picking? curious as to your thoughts. Those that do it, seem to almost swear by it and do it amazingly well, but those who don't seem to think alt is just better.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 4, 2014,
They're different techniques and sound different. Economy picking isn't just for playing fast, it's for when you want a legato sound.
well, picking every note isn't really my definition of a legato sound. It does sound smoother, I know. What I'm getting at is people who do both, their opinions on what works better from their experience, if it's worth taking time to learn a technique that those who do it swear by, but most have little interest in..

Frank Gambale style, he is a master at economy picking scales
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 4, 2014,
Well, they both work equally good really. It's the sound difference you should be aiming for tbh.
baab
I used to do it for a while but I rarely do it now. I like the timing and articulation benefits of alternate picking in most cases and in general favor the sound. It never hurts to expand your tools though, just find out yourself.
To me economy picking is just natural. I was doing it before I even knew what it was, and it was my guitar teacher who pointed it out to me and explained how to use it lol.

There's nothing wrong with alternate picking, but to me economy picking is just smoother. Less wasted movement. You don't get that Paul Gilbert-like whipping sound though like you do with alternate picking though...

I guess its all just personal preference. I'll use alternate picking for pretty much everything else, but when it comes to 3-note chromatic runs its always economy picking for me.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
If you ask me, if you're using alternate picking to play the same kind of ideas as you're doing with alternate picking you're missing out on half the fun of what economy picking can really do for you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by stonyman65
To me economy picking is just natural. I was doing it before I even knew what it was, and it was my guitar teacher who pointed it out to me and explained how to use it lol.

Basically exactly what happened to me. I thought I was alt picking but it was actually economy, and I just stuck with it because it feels natural.

My advice is try it for a few weeks and get comfortable with it. You don't have to pick one or the other, but you can decide what you're more comfortable with for a specific lick/run and use that technique. Having extra tools is no bad thing.

I wish I had the patience to actually learn alt picking
I'm jealous of those to who economy picking comes naturally. I suppose no picking feels naturally when you're first starting, so I wish I would've been told to make myself economy pick before I was told to make myself alternate pick.
Alt picking is probably more useful, it's the standard technique. I'd just work on both.

If you're talking about playing really really fast stuff, economy picking might be preferable, but you can get plenty fast with alt picking. Don't think that economy picking is specifically for fast passages.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jan 4, 2014,
I think it's kinda weird how economy picking could come to one naturally. In fact, I'm slightly starting to think that some people here who claim to use economy picking are actually just doing string crossings with consecutive up/downstrokes. Which, for your information, is something completely different. Back in my first year of playing, I remember that I used to think that I was economy picking stuff, where in reality I was executing the movement I described earlier.
baab
Well i usually ascend using economy picking and decend using alternate so i can honestly tell you none of them is better than the other.Economy is a bit smoother(cause of the sweeps from changing strings) but no one can really tell what you are using,if you play real music instead of three note per string scales up and down.I remember a shawn lane type of exercise where you decend the pentatonic playing four notes but instead of picking them all you put accent to the first two and hammer and pull the remaining two.....when you get it up to speed everybody feels that you pick ALL 4 notes while you pick only the first two....

That was an example to show you that no one can tell(if you do it right of course) except if you see the guy play.Not a while back in this forum there where some people who thought Malmsteen alternate picks for example.He doesnt..he ascends with economy and decends alternating(most of the time).But that doesnt really matter in my view.What does is your aim on the string,your relaxed hand,the pick angle etc etc etc.Train your alternate,train your economy but when its time to play just do it without worrying too much about it.The two ll fuse just fine .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Jan 4, 2014,
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Well i usually ascend using economy picking and decend using alternate

This is what I've been doing, I think descending economy is a bit harder for me, but that makes it a good exercise, it'll come easy soon. I'm pretty good at alt, been doing it for years so I'll work on this stuff. Anything good enough for Shawn and Malmsteen must be worth spending some time on...
Quote by Tempoe
This is what I've been doing, I think descending economy is a bit harder for me, but that makes it a good exercise, it'll come easy soon. I'm pretty good at alt, been doing it for years so I'll work on this stuff. Anything good enough for Shawn and Malmsteen must be worth spending some time on...

Yes cause i think it feels more natural to get trapped to an inside picking motif when ascending than the opposite.Cause when you ascend its a a bit unatural to pass a string and then pick upwards...picking straight to the string gives you more control....on the other case when you decend and pass a string to pick down, that actually gives you more control cause working against the gravity, in this case locks you into position.

Thats why i personally ,from a point on(not recommended for total begginers of course) dont care if i alternate or economy pick but i care a lot how smooth my inside or outside picking transitions are.Cause those things occur in both picking styles and its ultimately what makes or breaks your technique .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Jan 5, 2014,
Economy picking is my saviour.

I've always had massive difficulties with alternate picking.. No idea why. It just doesn't gel with me.

I learnt how to sweep and at the same time my picking began to assimilate into economy. It just comes naturally to me. I felt like I opened pandora's box when I first started learning economy picking academically.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.