Hi Guys

I have started playing guitar a bit more seriously again as of late, and picked up a yamaha RGX 420s for £100 ($240?), with the cheap FR replaced with standard bridge.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/yamaha/rgx420s/index.html

I am looking for a reasonable practice amp i think. ( something with more power than a crappy 10w practice amp, the sort of thing that comes in a beginners package). I am not to bothered about effects that much, but i might use them if i had the option. I am after something with nice cleans, and that has a reasonable punch behind high gain/distortion.

Music i like to play : blues, (clapton, BB King, allman bros, hendrix etc).metal/death metal etc : Slayer, metallica, megadeth, opeth, nevermore etc, and some prog/classic rock, led zep, pink floyd etc

If anything, i really, really like the crunchy distortion, and the awesome cleans that you hear from Opeth, but i know to get the same sounds you would need the exact same guitar, stacks, pedals, etc etc

So i guess what i want is what almost everyone seems to want, something with good cleans that would make a reasonable bluesy tone, but also been good for heavier metal sounds. ( i also have a boss mt-2 distortion pedal i can use, but its not the best)

I have looked at the peavy Vypr, and years ago i considered the Vox valvetronix, but its been a while since i kept up with new gear and what is out there. I have also been suggested to look at a fender mustang as well.

my budget is about £150 / $300 . Thanks in advance
The vypyr is the way to go if you want metal sounds. The mustang is better for low gain, but it's high gain is lacking a bit. The vypyr excels at metal, but can pull off some very decent lower gain sounds with the right settings.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I play the 75watt now. Brit, Twin, and Deluxe settings I can get a perfectly acceptable sound for the blues, country, and 60s rock stuff I play. I play most of the same things you do, and between my SG and Tele I obtain serviceable sounds for just about everything.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by classicrocker01 at Jan 5, 2014,
When I get back to Nashville this weekend Ill be happy to share some settings to get you started
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

See if you can find a used Vypyr Tube 60.

It has 2 - 6L6 power tubes and a 12AX7 phase inverter.

Really warms up the tone imo, but all the Vypyrs sound pretty good imo.

I have a bunch of Vypyr clips in my profile if you are interested. I'm not the greatest guitar player around so I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything but I do have clips covering Clean, low-mid gain, and high gain/modern metal. If you were going for strait low-mid gain tones then there might be some better options but for the variety of stuff some people are looking for the Vypyr really excels.

Oh - interesting note, you can pretty much use this as a guideline for ALL the models:

Pre: 1 oclock
Treb: 1 oclock
Mid: 1 oclock
Bass: 1 oclock
Master: 11 oclock

If you push on the Amp Model knob it will go from Green (Clean) to Red (Dirty). I'd set the effects to Bypass so you can just focus on the base tones.
Okay, thanks to those who replied. I ordered a vypr which should arrive in a week or so. Pretty keen to try it out now

Quote by classicrocker01
When I get back to Nashville this weekend Ill be happy to share some settings to get you started

sweet thanks man, ill PM you when it arrives