I found an EHX Pocket Metal Muff pedal for $50 at a local music store during a sale, so I thought "screw it" and grabbed it. It definitely adds some beef to my tone, but it screeches and howls like crazy when I'm not playing unless I turn it off, even if I turn my pickup volume all the way down. My first thought is that I'd need some sort of noise gate, but my amp (Peavey Vypyr 30) supposedly has a built-in noise gate. I play an LTD EC-1000vb with an EMG81 (b) and EMG60 (n).

I feel kinda clueless on this.
Don't use it through a modeling amp.

Get a new amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I live in a thin-walled apartment, so I the best I could hope for would be something like a half stack with a headphone out.

Any recommendations? I could probably get at least a little bit of money off a new amp if I traded the Peavey in. I'd probably be looking at the $500 range (CAD).

For now though, would there be any way to cut out the feedback with my current amp? Or am I stuck with kinda not being able to use this pedal?
Last edited by I play G and L at Jan 4, 2014,
I know how that is. Have you looked at something like the POD HD series? They sound really nice and you can use headphones with it. I use a POD XT for home practice, I own a Marshall JCM2000, Krank 1980Jr and a Peavey Windsor studio and I use a POD XT and headphones at home (I live in an apt also)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have not, actually. I'd sort of prefer to have an actual amp so I can take it with me when I go places.

Would a combo amp work so long as it wasn't a modelling amp? Basically to save a bit of money. I don't need anything with a super high wattage.
Quote by I play G and L
I have not, actually. I'd sort of prefer to have an actual amp so I can take it with me when I go places.

Would a combo amp work so long as it wasn't a modelling amp? Basically to save a bit of money. I don't need anything with a super high wattage.

Probably, but you might not like the tone of the pocket series pedals. They are either like 'em or hate 'em
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think I'll poke around the local music store today and take note of what sort of amps they have to offer. I don't think I'd mind ordering online, but I don't like the thought of having to pay a good chunk for shipping or the risk of it showing up broken.