Hey guys, first thread, actually made an account to ask this question; I've been playing for 8 years now, I'm 18, and I went through the newbie bloody fretboard phase already, and have never got actual watery callouses, rather the skin just rips off. I've played bass for five years and went through the usual newbie stuff with my right hand as well, but yesterday, after a seemingly normal practice session, the playing fingers of my right hand started to form liquid filled callouses, and continued to swell for a time after I noticed them. I then looked at my left hand and saw I had developed a small, watery callous on my left index finger. Now, I'm not an idiot who's going to shuck the whole thing off and go playing in a hospital, but I'm just wondering what gives?
All I know is that the fun of peeling/popping those is what initially encouraged me to practice more.
Gross. I never got the whole bleeding, nasty puss or anything else disgusting like that. Thank god. I just started practicing atleast half an hour every day and didn't stop, now I have lovely neat callouses and I don't care to know what's inside them or any other parts of my fingers.

Probably helped that I when I started out, I had a really good teacher who guided me away from sloppy techniques that damage your hands/fingers.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by neidnarb11890
those are blisters, dog.

I thought the description sounded all kinds of wrong extra gross.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
I played stand up bass for two years, that give me actual blood blisters. One time during an important gig, the flesh on the side of my thumb that anchors on the neck peeled off. Guitar callouses/ blisters are nothing compared to bass.
Those are blisters, not callouses

Maybe your strings are rough and old or something.
I have nothing important to say
I've been playing since I was fifteen and have never gotten a callus or bled due to playing.
Oh okay I've never had a blister, just calluses. Either way you should peel at least one open and see what's inside.
Quote by That Old Geezer
I played stand up bass for two years, that give me actual blood blisters. One time during an important gig, the flesh on the side of my thumb that anchors on the neck peeled off. Guitar callouses/ blisters are nothing compared to bass.

for sure. all guitar has really given me is a callused ring finger from slides. i get blisters whenever i play bass with my fingers, though. (usually a pick guy.)
my drummer & bassist get (blood) blisters on the reg. sometimes they pop & bleed, which is pretty br00t4l.
Been playing guitar for 17 years and never had the problem of 'bloody fretboard', although I had a few blisters playing a bass for the first time.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
As others have said, that's a blister. And "bloody fretboard phase"? What? Only time I've bled from playing as when one of my wound strings scraped off one of those annoying hanging skin things around fingernails. .__.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I've only bled twice due to playing, and both occasions were caused by my thumb scraping along a sharp edge of the neck pickup.

As for callouses ? You got blisters m8.
Yeah I was under the impression your skin was just supposed to break the top few layers, heal, harden and repeat. That forms the calluses.
Sounds like you're getting all kinds of infected shit up in thur.
And the only time I've bled was from doing full necks slides on thin gauge high strings. That stings like a twat.
Although they are lots of versions out there of Bass finger tape for protection I have definitely found the best - go to your browser and put in Double Bass Finger Tape, it works for acoustic and electric players - hope it helps.
Although they are lots of versions out there of Bass finger tape for protection I have definitely found the best - go to your browser and put in Double Bass Finger Tape, it works for acoustic and electric players - hope it helps.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it

Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb

Maybe get a blister on your little finger

Maybe get a blister on your thumb

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,