I've played nothing but a six string normal guitar for as long as I have played. However, recently, I've become more and more interested in ERGs. I've looked at a lot of them, but I just don't know if it's easy to get used to. A lot of people I've talked to have said once they played an ERG, a normal guitar seems crammed and small.

What are your guys opinions on ERGs and is it hard to make the transition?

And would you jump the gun and go from 6 strings to 8, or go to 7 strings, and then gradually go to 8?
I had a schecter 7 string for about 3 months and sold it since i couldn't adapt to it. I love the things people do on ERGs but they're not for me. Really depends on the individual cause i've had friends go from 6 to 8 strings no problem.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Quote by Sam1234299
I've played nothing but a six string normal guitar for as long as I have played. However, recently, I've become more and more interested in ERGs. I've looked at a lot of them, but I just don't know if it's easy to get used to. A lot of people I've talked to have said once they played an ERG, a normal guitar seems crammed and small.

What are your guys opinions on ERGs and is it hard to make the transition?

And would you jump the gun and go from 6 strings to 8, or go to 7 strings, and then gradually go to 8?

Moving from a 6 to a 7 doesn't take much getting used to at all, you have to remind yourself that the lowest string isn't E any more for a little while but it takes maybe a couple of days to really get it.

I know some people say that moving from a 7 back to a 6 feels cramped but I've personally never found that to be the case; I switch back and forth between 7s, 6s, and basses all the time and really have no trouble remembering what I'm doing.

The jump to an 8 is more of a tricky one though, I don't play one myself but I have used them on occasion and it's a little more of a jump, both mentally and physically; you need to be a little more careful of your posture with the fretting hand as the fretboard is significantly larger in a way that you don't need to look out for quite so much with 6s and 7s.

Personally I wouldn't really recommend the jump direct from 6 to 8, but that's just me and as I've already said, I don't play 8s anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you move to an 8 your playing technique will (necessarily) change, and possibly for the better. Guys used to wrapping a thumb won't be doing that on an 8, unless they have really REALLY big hands.

While you're at it, you may as well make it a fan-fret as well; it's actually *more* comfortable to play a fan fret (IMHO) because the frets on a good design angle the way your hand does as you move up and down the fretboard.

A 7-string is a good toe-dip, but be aware that as you move into ERGs, you'll probably be playing guitars that also have a longer scale (or multiple longer scales in the case of a fan-fret), at least at the bass end of things.
I have played 7 strings and they aren't a huge jump from a six. The neck and fretboard will be slightly wider and the low B will obviously be pretty thick. I have never played an 8 but I would assume there is a steeper learning curve due to the even wider neck.

Personally I found myself not using the entire range of a 7 string though (more interested in just the low end). So I bought a baritone and tuned it like a 7 string without the high E.

EDIT: Zaphod_Beeblebr correctly pointed out that the 8th string is typically tuned to an F# NOT a G.
"Nothing of me is original, I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." -Chuck Palahniuk
Last edited by FeelTheNoise23 at Jan 4, 2014,
First you should ask yourself these questions: why do i want to get 7/8 string? Do i want to play something that requires 7/8 string and can not be done on a 6 string?

From the questions you ask it seems you don't really know what you will be doing with those guitars.
Last edited by Reages at Jan 4, 2014,
Quote by FeelTheNoise23
the fact that adding a G string changes up scale patterns and chord shapes more so than adding the B of a 7 string.

The low string on a standard tuned 8 is tuned to F#.

Quote by Reages
First you should ask yourself these questions: why do i want to get 7/8 string? Do i want to play something that requires 7/8 string and can not be done on a 6 string?

From the questions you ask it seems you don't really know what you will be doing with those guitars.

So? I would wager that most people don't know what they will be doing when they pick up their first 6 string so why would picking up a 7 be different? As far as TS is concerned it comes down to this: does he want a 7 string? If the answer is yes, for whatever reason, then he should get one.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I go from 7 to 6 and back no sweat, didn't take me more that half an hour to get used to it. My brother jumped from 6 to 8 and it only took him a couple days. He goes back and forth no problem too. I've never been able to get used to his 8 though.
Take it from someone who actually has an eight-string: it's no problem going from six to eight. You need to adjust to it, like you do with any different guitar. There's no 'graduation'; you went from 0 to 6 strings, so if you want 8 strings, get an 8-string. Or if you want a 7-string, get one of those.

I can play six-string guitars perfectly well, but I admit the shorter scale and fewer strings feels off now and I feel limited not having the extra range and phrasing opportunities.

When I got my eight-string, I just wanted to play with the extra range and play some Meshuggah. The only reason you should have for wanting one, is that you would like to have one. That's it. Over four years later of learning the instrument and coming to grips with it, I keep discovering new things I can do with it. Most fun I've ever had.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The low string on a standard tuned 8 is tuned to F#.

Whoops, my mistake. I have very little experience with 8 strings, so TS definitely take the advice of other people in this thread who actually own one.
"Nothing of me is original, I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." -Chuck Palahniuk
Quote by Reages

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Reages

I actually do know what I want to do on them, I'd like to do jazzy stuff a la Charlie Hunter, yet be able to turn it around and use it for metal or whatever the case may be.

As of right now, I play in a post-metal band and am usually in standard B tuning. I've made the switch to a baritone guitar and it worked well for what we do. Just having extra strings for leads would be intriguing.

I'm looking at Agile guitars, because they seem to be really great for the price.
Quote by Sam1234299
I'm looking at Agile guitars, because they seem to be really great for the price.

Only if you're on the continental US from what I know, it's definitely not worth it if you're in Europe. Once you get stung with tax, import duty and the lack of a returns policy, all the value is completely gone, unless you're getting one of their more esoteric models.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Only if you're on the continental US from what I know, it's definitely not worth it if you're in Europe. Once you get stung with tax, import duty and the lack of a returns policy, all the value is completely gone, unless you're getting one of their more esoteric models.

Yeah, I am. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

They seem like good guitars, and everyone that has one that I've talked to swears by them.

This is the one I was looking at, an Agile Septor Elite 727.