Page 1 of 2
Hi !
As I told it in an earlier thread, I am busy changing my gear these times (I'm not, rich, but I'm still trying), and so, after having made some researches, a little bit everywhere today, I think I'm going to have a Boss DS-1, and I think a GE-7 (EQ) also, these seem to be the basics ^^
But I'd like to know, before making a €50 mistake, if -for what I'm playing-, (modern pop-punk (like ATL for example) stuffed with some hxc breakdowns), this is really useful, would it be important for my sound ? Because, in the end, I don't really know much about guitar fx ^^

So please, can you tell me if it's worth it, for my style ?

Thanks !
Guitar : ESP Ltd EC-1000
Amp : Peavey Bandit 112
It's useful as a shaper to your sound, if you need to tweak further than the built in EQ, sure. That being said, I used to use mine a ton when I got it and now I haven't touched it in probably 4 years. It's really up to you... Though I'd argue if you're using it with that Spider, the money would be much better spent toward a new amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Get a new amp with an FX loop, then put the EQ in the FX loop. You will hear more of a difference with it in there than going through the front.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I'm not able to buy another amp, I think it won't be in my plans until......... years ! ^^
if you know what you can do with EQ and know how to use it then it can be a very powerful tool.

if you are unsure what EQ can do for you and you don't know how to use it for effect, then an EQ pedal can make a great door stop or paper weight.

and no, plugging in an EQ into your chain won't just give you that guitar tone, even if you are really good at EQing.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Even if added to a distortion peal ?
And... If I don't try, I won't know how to use it, and if I don't know what to do with it, I won't get one, so... Must I wait until I really need it ?
Good tyres are really useful but they won't turn a Morris Minor into racecar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Buy a used one and if it doesn't do it for you, sell it again. EQs are good to have and know how to use.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Cathbard
Good tyres are really useful but they won't turn a Morris Minor into racecar.

....... aaand ?
You'd be icing a dog turd and trying to pass it off as a cupcake.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by noma92
....... aaand ?

Basically he's saying an EQ pedal won't magically turn your spider into a fantastic sounding amp.
RIP Gooze

cats
yea i know(i'm still not a ****** xD)
But telling me this isn't really useful, unless one of you gives me $10k... I won't buy a new amp, my budget is - and will remain - limited, I'm not affording more than $100 worth of gear, so...
Quote by noma92
Even if added to a distortion peal ?

you want to know what you need to get a radio-friendly produced pop-punk tone? nice gear. a good head, a good speaker cab and a nice guitar.

sure, you can throw and EQ pedal, or a distortion pedal into that equation but that still won't change the minimum requirements.

if you want it to sound just like that video, then get a producer and a load of nice recording equipment and go into a studio. that is how the band got that tone, i doubt their live sound is that balanced and polished. and don't forget to practice a bit, i wouldn't be surprised if they called in studio musicians to lay tracks for that band.

troof

Quote by noma92
And... If I don't try, I won't know how to use it, and if I don't know what to do with it, I won't get one, so... Must I wait until I really need it ?

i didn't say "don't buy one", it just won't do you much good when you first get it. if you want to learn to use one, then by all means buy one. i got mine for 40 bucks on ebay.

but an EQ pedal is not like a distortion pedal, it's not hyper intuitive and doesn't provide big rewards by tweaking a few knobs without knowing what yer doing. it took me years and years to learn how to use EQ effectively, and the most valuable lessons from learning to use EQ were something like: "the tone i was chasing actually sucks"

these revelations caused me to completely re-evaluate what my guitar should sound like and made me sound much better in the context of my band at the time. this was my experience with EQ anyway.

"and if i don't know what to do with it"... you don't know what to do with it. 'must i wait until i really need it?" how will you know when you need it?

i have an EQ pedal, sometimes i will put it on the board to use for specific things (a lead boost usually, sometimes when i play acoustic live i'll use it, sometimes i'll use it to scoop some mids so i fall back in the mix more), but for the most part i hardly turn it on.

it definitely won't do anything like make a fender frontman sound like a mesa boogie rec.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Who said you need to spend $10k on an amp? You don't need a Dumble to play pop punk. A JCA would be fine for the job - or any number of sub $1k amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 4, 2014,
Quote by mulefish
Basically he's saying an EQ pedal won't magically turn your spider into a fantastic sounding amp.

And I'd say the same about a distortion pedal.
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
About the radio-friendly tune, it doesn't bother me !
I used to think it was generic too, and then i got interested in it, and now i'm liking it !
And live, ATL have 1 or 2 guitarists in the back of the scene, yeah

From what i've read and what you just told me, i think i'll be buying it, it could help me learning some things about my sound !

(in your opinion, is a ge-7 plus a pedalboard bcb-30 for 90 bucks a good deal ?)
You have a Spider, right?

Get a Line 6 FBV Express MkII instead. It will give you control over your amp and be a much more useful feature. Running pedals into your digital modeler won't sound good, or be particularly effective.

I know firsthand, just yesterday I was helping a friend try to get good tone out of the same exact amp, a Spider IV 75W. I put a Danelectro Fish & Chips in front, and it did almost nothing at all. You could barely hear it making any differences. In the end I had to run 3 different EQs simultaneously from my Line 6 M9 in front to get it sounding notably better (though a good large rack EQ could have done the job easier).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
In my opinion the danelectro fish and chips or joyo eq are much better deals than the ge-7. Both can be had for ~$20-30 each.
RIP Gooze

cats
First, Spider is a digital modeling amp. That is not really a distortion pedal friendly enviroment and will most likely sound terrible. I'd stick to your Spiders distortion and try to tweak it to your best abilities. Its not a good amp but its perfectly usable for practising until you can afford a serious upgrade (which btw, does not cost you 10k. For 500$ you can get a great used tube combo)

Second, to get the most out of EQ you need an FX Loop in your amp, which your Spider does not have IIRC. In FX Loop what it does is expand the EQ of your amp, giving you much more freedom to adjust different frequencies compared the normal 3-way built-in EQ of your amp allows.
In front it serves a different purpose, its there to color (and possibly boost) the sound of your guitar before it arrives the amp and gets distorted and so on.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
First, there's the GE-7 and the GEB-7. The latter is marketed as a bass EQ, but the real difference is that you've got a wider spacing (covers more ground both up *and* down) with the GEB-7 (50Hz to 10Khz for the GEB-7, 100Hz to 6.4Khz with the GE-7). I actually prefer the GEB-7 for some things.

Second -- an EQ pedal is *always* useful. They show up in at least three different places.

1) right after the pickups; they essentially EQ your pickups. You can spend $200+ on a new set of pickups that may or may NOT do what you need, or you can EQ.

2) right after the distortion (wherever that is). This EQs your distortion before it gets fed to other pedals or the amp. WAY more useful than you can imagine until you try it.

3) In the FX loop after everything else. This essentially EQs the cabinet. Again, this saves buying and trying speakers endlessly.

There was this guy whose initials are EVH who used EQ in all three places this way, sometimes in a single rig.
In fact, my line 6 isn't my 'main' amp, because in the room where i practise with my band, i'm playing through a peavey bandit 112, and so the gear would be useful for both these amps... no ?
The Peavey Bandit has an FX loop, so yes it would be useful for that amp.

I would recommend not getting the DS-1 though. It's not a very good sounding pedal unmodded - not worth using over either of your amps' distortions.

Can you get Joyo or Mooer pedals where you live?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by noma92
In fact, my line 6 isn't my 'main' amp, because in the room where i practise with my band, i'm playing through a peavey bandit 112, and so the gear would be useful for both these amps... no ?

In THAT case, get the EQ pedal. It will definetly be useful on Bandit. For distortion pedals I'd rather stick to the amps distortion and see how much you can tweak it with EQ first. In my limited experience distortion pedals have sounded shitty on solid state amps, so wimpy and tiny compared to the amps own distortion. But on tube amps those same pedals have shined.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Offworld92
Can you get Joyo or Mooer pedals where you live?

is it that easy to guess that i'm not a native english speaker ? x)

And no, here in france, i don't think i'll be able to find pedals from these brands at the same price :/

So must I really cancel my 'ds-1 buying' for 20 little euros ? it won't be helpful to me ?
Quote by noma92
is it that easy to guess that i'm not a native english speaker ? x)

And no, here in france, i don't think i'll be able to find pedals from these brands at the same price :/

So must I really cancel my 'ds-1 buying' for 20 little euros ? it won't be helpful to me ?

Regarding DS1 i say cancel it. I doubt it would give you any improvements. About joyo you can get some of them under the name of Harley Benton on thomann but EQ is not one of them (HB eq is something else rebranded) but you can order one from DealExtreme directly from China. Ive bought all my Joyos from there. Downside is that the shipping can take quite a while, over a month or so at worst.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 4, 2014,
And why would this make a better choice than the boss ones ?
Quote by noma92
And why would this make a better choice than the boss ones ?

To be honest i have no personal experience with boss eq. However people have complained that its noisy and ive read that more than once. Joyo eq on the other hand is a clone of excellent Mxr eq though that does not necessarily mean its as good (cheaper parts after all). So far joyos have been excellent bang for buck to hobby guitarists though.

But still if you can grab boss eq for cheap, go ahead. Noise or no atleast it will give you an idea what you can do with one on your rig. Plus Boss pedals are built like tanks, something that you can never be sure about with chinese cheap brands.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Because they are clones of other more expensive pedals, made in China for cheaper. Boss pedals are made in Taiwan and cost more to make, so you get less value. The Joyo and Mooer clones sound a lot better because they are copies of much more expensive pedals.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Joyos are built by dyslexic monkeys on meth.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've just looked for it, and I can have both (joyo and boss eq's) for the same price... what shall i do ?
Quote by noma92
I've just looked for it, and I can have both (joyo and boss eq's) for the same price... what shall i do ?

I say thats up to you. As i said joyo is better design but outside of nice steel box it has poor parts. Not Behringer poor but you get what you pay for. Boss is not as good but its virtually indestructible and can survive heavy gigging.

For a bedroom player the Joyo is a no brainer because if the pedal craps out its not that big issue (and propably fixed easily) but for someone who actively plays in band, i would lean towards boss because you would need something you can trust.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 4, 2014,
And i'm looking into playing live more and more, so......
and i saw that one could modify the ge7 in order to remove this famous noise, is it worth it ?
Joyo don't just use cheap parts, they are built haphazardly. The Boss one will at least be at least built properly even if they are as noisy as ****. Personally, I wouldn't have either. I'd take a Danelectro Fish & Chips over either of them. At least they aren't noisy. They have drawbacks of their own but at least they sound good.
If you want something that is actually good, ergonomic on stage AND reliable look for an MXR on ebay.
However, I'd take the Boss over the Joyo if they were the same price after having looked at the insides of Joyo pedals and being well unimpressed. If you want to know what happens when you push low wage earners to produce things too fast look inside a Joyo pedal with a magnifying glass - it aint pretty.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by noma92
And i'm looking into playing live more and more, so......
and i saw that one could modify the ge7 in order to remove this famous noise, is it worth it ?

If you can solder go for it. I didnt know there is a fix for it. How hard mod it is?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Upgrading the resistors to metal film helps a lot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
seen the offer that i saw, i think i'm gonna take the boss one, because of its reliability !
and i read that upgrading the transistors was a good thing to do, and that's worth $3, and i'll be considering changing the resistors as you said
Feel free to get an EQ but bear in mind that whether your live or recording in a studio the Engineer will most likely use their own EQ on top of what you have. While they use it to Correct the sound to make up for the tonal change from the microphone sometimes there could be far too much bottom end which is drowning out everything else so they might put on a low-pass filter to fix that or they might change the EQ slightly to reduce feedback or stop a ring. Just something to keep in mind but your tone should still get through, it might just sound slightly different depending on your situation and engineer
Page 1 of 2