An Ibanez RG. Not very exciting, right?

Well maybe a little exciting.

A 2000 Ibanez RG520QS!

These guitars were made right alongside the much more popular RG570s and RG550s, but for some reason that baffles me, the RG520s just aren't popular compared to the former two. As any Ibanez geek knows, the last two digits indicate the configuration of the guitar, while the first digit(s) indicate the series.

20 means H-H
50 means H-S-H with a pickguard
70 means H-S-H direct mounted.

This guitar is, thus far, the best guitar I've ever owned. Primarily due to the bridge, which I'll talk about in a bit.

I was not actively looking for this guitar at all. I was saving up for a PRS CE24. I sold my EC-1000 to help fund it, and the buyer and I met at GC. Obviously I was there, so I was going to look around. And this was hanging on the wall. I knew what it was right away, and tried it because I hadn't had the chance to actually try one before. I was expecting to hate it, because of how (in)famous Ibanezes are for their paper thin necks.

The neck was a complete shock to me. This neck is not paper thin at all, or even a D shape really! It is quite thin, but it has a good curve on it, rather than a flat neck. In comparison to today's necks, it is very very similar to the new Wizard III (3), when I was going in expecting it to be a slimmer Wizard II (2). I cannot stand the Wizard II because of the fact that it is pretty much literally flat, and this was a very thought provoking surprise. Being that this is a newer RG520, the neck joint is the AANJ rather than the block heel, so I got very very lucky in that regard. That probably would have been a deal breaker for me.

Next was the bridge. I knew that this guitar was supposed to have an Original Edge, but since I hadn't seen one in person before, cue me searching google frantically trying to confirm that the bridge was right before someone took the guitar away from me. All of the aesthetics checked out, it is in fact an Original Edge. Now, this bridge singlehandedly broke all of my conceptions about what it means to have a double locking bridge. This bridge is basically a Floyd Rose in design, it is large and blocky, not slick like Ibanezes new designs. Where it differs is the fine tuners. These fine tuners have over a step, almost 1.5 steps of range in them. This fact completely changes the game and my thoughts as far as what I need go. I don't necessarily need a separate guitar for each different tuning anymore. This guitar is now set up in the tuning I write in most often for 2 different bands/projects: Drop C & D Std. Just when I think I can't get any more fond of Ibanez, I find something else they've done that is just perfect.

As expected and known, the pickups on this guitar are not special. They are the old V7/V8 combo. They are very dark and muddy (especially the neck). They are being replaced ASAP with an SD Distortion/Jazz combo, as soon as I can find a Distortion Trembucker.

My second favorite thing about this guitar is the finish. It's called Darkburst, which is a little opposite, because it's actually a quilted maple top (I'm not sure if it's maple or not, probably though) that you can only see in direct light. At a glance or from far away it just looks black or dark blue, but up close in direct light it's actually a really really beautiful sea blue/dark teal color. I took pictures alternating flash on and flash off, to try to show off the finish.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 4, 2014,

The hardware is all random colored and mismatched (nickel trap pins, black nickel & black knobs), but I am fixing that with new hardware as well as getting new pots and a switch, so no big deal. All in all, I am in love.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 4, 2014,
Nice! I really like the finish on that. Definitely looks like a good workhorse!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
HNGD! Nice top on the Ibby but I bet it looks way better in person.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Ibanez family shot:

(S420, RG520QS, RG320QS)

Angle-y shots:

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

An Ibanez RG. Not very exciting, right?

It's very exciting actually. HNGD!
Quote by JackovSlayer
It's very exciting actually. HNGD!

I mean, as far as guitars go, they are very very plain. Compared to something like my Epi Firebird VII...

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I mean, as far as guitars go, they are very very plain. Compared to something like my Epi Firebird VII...

I'd rather have RG than your Firebird. But of course, it's just a matter of taste. I don't want to offend your Firebird.

I saw on your profile that you have Ibanez SR300. Do you like it? I have one too. Bought it because I needed a bass for recording.
Sweet guitar for sure... nice finish.
2000 Ibanez RG570 Sour Apple
2009 Ibanez RG321MH MOL
20?? Barracuda bass
Quote by JackovSlayer
I'd rather have RG than your Firebird. But of course, it's just a matter of taste. I don't want to offend your Firebird.

I saw on your profile that you have Ibanez SR300. Do you like it? I have one too. Bought it because I needed a bass for recording.

It's okay. I didn't really get it because it was an SR, I got it more because it's basically the only cheap 24 fret fretless bass out there. The main problem I have with it is that it just doesn't sound very good.

I've played an LTD B-204SMFL and it feels like a much nicer guitar. Sounds a lot better too. That's going to be my next bass.

Quote by dspellman
Is that a three-way or a five-way switch?

It's a 5-way. I have a 3-way on the way because I hate 5 way switches. If I want the inbetween tone options (I don't), I'll use a push pull pot.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It's okay. I didn't really get it because it was an SR, I got it more because it's basically the only cheap 24 fret fretless bass out there. The main problem I have with it is that it just doesn't sound very good.

Wow, I haven't noticed it's fretless. I have a normal one.
Sweet Ibby! Those RGs made around that time period are great guitars. I like the color, not too flashy but just subtle enough to deserve a second look.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by JackovSlayer
Wow, I haven't noticed it's fretless. I have a normal one.

Yep. Unfortunately, no matter how many I play or what level of quality they are, I just cannot get along with fretted basses. I hate the way they feel and sound, to a lesser extent. Only fretless basses for me. I imagine that searching for basses is what searching for guitars feels like for left handed folks.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
awesome

I remember corduroy who used to post here (and made pickups) said that swapping the magnets on the neck and bridge pickups was worth doing, before you fork out for new pickups. Might be worth a try. I never tried it as I only found out about it after I swapped pickups
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HNGD.
I've never even played an Ibanez, so you should probably give me one of yours :P
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here