Page 1 of 2
Is there any music that you think is mostly appreciated because of superficial reasons like the image or style it evokes, rather than the musical composition itself? Or maybe you think that's the only reason most people listen to music to begin with?
You mean pop music?

Just kidding, I dont know. I mean, I guess there's some people who listen to certain music to fit the image of it.
STಠ_ಠ
I have a soft spot for 80s rock cus spandex and hairspray is awesome.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
last year when i was 12 i used to listen to (c)rap music to fit in

this year i realised how bad that music was and found rock music and my spirit was free

i dont care that they juge me now there all loosers any way think for your self morons

Yeah I think some genres are based entirely off this... when you go to a show and everyone is dressed exactly the same (sorry hardcore and pop punk kids) it shows big time in my opinion.
Last edited by mattczabotar at Jan 4, 2014,
A while back someone posted a 16th tone piano thing that I couldn't imagine listening to for enjoyment.
Quote by MinterMan22

this year i realised how bad that music was and found rock music and my spirit was free

i dont care that they juge me now there all loosers any way think for your self morons

Hey Man I Am So Glad You Are In The 1% Of Tenagars That Lisetn 2 Reale Music
I Am 14 And I Luve To Lisen 3 Motley Crew and AD/CD
My Frends Do Not UNderstande And My Mom Is Alweys Teling Me 2 Trn Down My Saturn Musice But I Say Shut Up Mom U Dnt No Abowt The Blackness Ov My Sole My Life Is An Abyss
Maybe jazz? I know I tried listening to some Pat Metheny stuff because I thought people who listened to jazz were cool

I liked some of their works but I still find myself gravitating back towards guitar-oriented music.
Yeah I think people do this a lot. Maybe they don't necessarily think that but I think it's a big part of it. Maybe it makes them feel like they're a part of something. I feel like a lot of the bad metal the kids are into these days is often listened to for this reason, but idk honestly I can't remember ever talking to these kids that are into it so this might actually be stupid and I'm just guessing
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
tbh I don't know anyone who listens to music for superficial reasons. That's kind of dumb.
Quote by macashmack
tbh I don't know anyone who listens to music for superficial reasons. That's kind of dumb.

Is it though? I know people that read superficial books, watch superficial films, superficial television, etc. Some people just aren't into music as much as us.

#musicmasterrace
Quote by macashmack

There are tons that listen to music just because they think the singer is hot. Goes for both males and females.

Yes, it is dumb, but so is the general population.
Every kid in the music scene around here was in a Metalcore band now that they grew up they are all playin HxC and in gangs.

Sounds pretty superficial to me to put all that work in to be "the cool guy".
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Jan 5, 2014,
Quote by jugglingfreak
There are tons that listen to music just because they think the singer is hot. Goes for both males and females.

Yes, it is dumb, but so is the general population.

This. One thing i hate is people who hardly even listen to teh music and only care if someone is hot.
that's kind of how I got into jazz. Many of my idols said how amazing jazz was and how greatly it influenced them, so I gave jazz a shot, but now I really like some kinds of jazz. Not all. Only some. There are many types of jazz that are just blah to me. But stuff like Coltrane is really cool.

So I guess my love for certain types of jazz started superficially in a sense because I wanted to be influenced like my idols were, but now I listen to it purely for enjoyment.
Quote by MinterMan22

Dafuq? There are kids on here?
Last edited by Axelfox at Jan 4, 2014,
Quote by Axelfox
Yes, supple children.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Yea when I was 13. I ended up liking it anyways but I've outgrown it all. There is very few music that I wouldn't like if I truly gave it a chance to be honest.
I think it happens with everything really. In every genre, there are people who'll look up to other people. This happens in punk, metal, indie, pop, rap, electronic. Really, everything. In every scene, there are bands that people will think you're cool ( or you believe you'll be cool ) for enjoying them.

This is easier if you know someone well enough to understand that he/she wouldn't listen to that band unless for those reasons. But usually it's quite easy to understand if someone genuinely likes a band or if it has all sorts of peer influence.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I feel like a lot of the bad metal the kids are into these days is often listened to for this reason, but idk honestly I can't remember ever talking to these kids that are into it so this might actually be stupid and I'm just guessing

This. My friend is visiting and all week it's been bands like Attila and of Mice and Men (With the occasional Mayday Parade for 'diversity'). I think it's partially genuine since he used to listen to normal rock music but his taste just get worse.

The bad kind of country is mostly listened to in order to feel patriotic or 'proud to be redneck'.
Quote by Axelfox

im 13 but i like REAL Music ok most peple my age lisin to miley cirus and lady SHITga like cmon thats not Music,angus Yunge would School them at Music its rediculous ! i wish i was borne in the 60s so id be alive when Music was true not now. you know,my freind snazz said it bette rthan any one else colud when he said this;

Quote by captainsnazz
My Frends Do Not UNderstande And My Mom Is Alweys Teling Me 2 Trn Down My Saturn Musice But I Say Shut Up Mom U Dnt No Abowt The Blackness Ov My Sole My Life Is An Abyss

trUTH!! /m/ rockon

The Beetles should not be listened to by anyone under the age of 40. People who say they like The Beetles are the same as hipsters who wear old clothes to try and appear more cultured than they actually are.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I have a soft spot for 80s rock cus spandex and hairspray is awesome.

This, lots of hair metal is ok to listen to but watching videos of it is just beautiful
what do you mean about the image or style it invokes? a lot of music that delve in noise relies more on that than its compositional value. like i dont think thats superficial at all
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by metal4eva_22
The Beetles should not be listened to by anyone under the age of 40. People who say they like The Beetles are the same as hipsters who wear old clothes to try and appear more cultured than they actually are.

What? How? Why?
Quote by metal4eva_22

"beetles"
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by strait jacket
This, lots of hair metal is ok to listen to but watching videos of it is just beautiful

The new wave/pop from that period is glorious too. Needs to make a comeback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU

Dat tin foil
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by captainsnazz

you took it too far.

I definitely do this with pop music. I like being able to discuss it with people, even if I don't really enjoy it.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
"beetles"

It should be spelled Beatles
Last edited by Axelfox at Jan 5, 2014,
I think the music creates an image. As long as you can assume wht a person is like from the nsic they listen to people will listen to music to fit an image.
Motley Crue. I have a weak spot for them.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I think the music creates an image. As long as you can assume wht a person is like from the nsic they listen to people will listen to music to fit an image.

I will now live my life with the assumption that all homeless people are fans of Neil Young and Seasick Steve.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by macashmack

Then perhaps you know some people that don't listen to certain music/musicians for superficial reasons.
Si
I'm honestly trying to think of something I like on a purely superficial level and I can't really come up with anything.
Quote by captainsnazz

fukn depp ma
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Page 1 of 2