I just bought my first guitar since a cheap acoustic I had as a kid MANY years ago. I was looking at the Epiphone player pack online to get started but I ran across a Charvel DS-3 locally I feel in love with. I purchased an electronic tuner with the guitar. The guy at the shop said I needed tune the guitar to C 440. Everything I see says A 440. What is the difference and why would this guitar need to be tuned different?
Any help in layman terms would be appreciated.
The guy in the shop had it wrong, it's A 440, the 440 refers to the actual frequency of the open A string; "C 440" doesn't exist.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ This....A 440 is what standard tuning is in.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Thanks for the quick response.
The tuner has a C 440 setting but I haven't seen any reference to a C 440 tuning of a guitar online so I was curious.
Last edited by justajohn at Jan 4, 2014,
Hey man, while calling it a C440 is EXTREMELY (read: laughably) incorrect, he probably called it that because the A above middle C (440hz) is called a "Concert A". I can see why he'd abbreviate it as C 440, if that's the case, even though it's kind of silly.