Hello guys!

I have been hearing negative comments about Line 6 products by many musicians. Even while recommending, they tell me to stay away from them and get other amps /effects instead.

What's wrong with the products? I honestly can't tell whether to trust the advice or not..

EDIT: I have never used any Line 6 products.
The line 6 Spider series is what 99% of them are talking about and they are not as bad as a lot will make them out to be. They are just fine for practice. I ran sound last night and the guitarist was using a SpiderIV 30 mic'd and it sounded just fine

There are plenty of pro's who use various Line 6 products in the studio and live.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The amount of DL-4s you see on pedalboards at gigs would suggest otherwise!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
depends what products. most consider their low end gear total garbage.

however, they make some decent effects, live stage equipmnet like wireless units, and some widely accepted multi FX like the POD series.

as a whole, i dont think anybody considers them to be top of the line gear on any front though. definitely solid mid range gear.

i think most would consider their guitar amplifier line to be sub par considering competitive products in the market.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^+1 to that. Plenty of pros use their effects, and their wireless systems are known for being one of the best on the market. Their POD line is one of the best modelers out there and their Flextone, HD147 and Vetta were all excellent amps. The Spider Valve is good and their upper range one they make now is pretty cool, too.

Literally the only thing Line 6 really makes that people consistently hate are their solid state Spider series of amps. They're decent practice amps, still.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
elitism? branding?

im not the biggest fan of anything modeling tho i know what sound im after and ill go with it.
IMO id rather have the physical amp, speakers, pedals, than an amp that models them, or a pedal board that models them.

My old guitarist bought one of those hd500 pedals he kept saying "dude theres so many effects in here its like i paid for every kind of pedal, effect, etc. i could ever find" and then he ended up using the same one all the time…so its kind of like does it really matter that you have all these effects if your not going to use them? idk.

however theres the line 6 pods which ive used quite alot up until recently getting a focusrite pro 40 and some nice microphones. The pods are a great way to connect to your computer and record decent guitar work, hell some even have a preamp or 2, then ex drummer(seperate program) and you got yourself a not half bad recording providing you know your doing a little bit.

all in all its just an opinion. They sound alright but the real thing always wins. IMO
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by OurRequiem

They sound alright but the real thing always wins. IMO

Says the guy with a 333XL or should I call it what it really is, a JSX clone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i've seen the M9's on a number of professional musician's pedal boards.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The solid state Spiders are garbage, and since they are so widespread people/elitists tend to associate the whole Line6 line up with them and automatically call all of them crap. Thats far from true. Spider Valve is good and fights in same league as Vypyr Tube, more or less. The discontinued HD147 (solid state modeler like Spiders) also has good reputation. Their latest Pod HD serie is picking a good fight against AxeFX for half of the cost and I'm not convinced that its even losing.

Line6 has good products if you can pick the right ones. But that goes for any brand really.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 5, 2014,
I've used a variety of Line 6 gear and to me it's a matter of economics and convenience. I ditched my fancy pedal board and Boss pedals a while ago and don't miss them. My old CE-2 was really awesome, but the HD500 is "good enough" for me for all that stuff. I don't build my sound out of complex chains of effects, and the HD500 allows more effects than I'll use, in any order. You have to be willing to spend some time on PC though to configure it. I use their wireless too and no complaints. I agree with others that some people judge all new Line6 equipment based on their worst experiences.

When it comes to recording, I also prefer to go emulated amp direct and not have to worry about any sound bleeding into the mic. If you make the recording about the whole song (and not the guitar), then sometimes good enough is better. I'm willing to make small compromises for improving my recording process.

But to your question about what the "Pro's" use - I don't think you'll find Carlos Santana playing through a simulated Marshall. These guys can afford to have all their famous amps and hire the guys to haul them around and beside, they probably don't want to fiddle on a computer to get something that they could get using old fashioned knobs.

So if you have extra money and it's your lively hood, don't bother emulating anything and skip on the Line6 stuff. Especially if having the more expensive equipment is going to pay for itself in improved sound. Or maybe you just really like having the emulated gear or don't like the sound of them. But don't necessarily compare your equipment lineup with people who are in a different economic situation. A lot of folks here are trying to get a decent sound with minimal cash, and that's what Line6 is about.
I had a Spider 1x12 and I hated it, as a noob. I found I could never come close to anyone's tone, clean, heavy, whatever. No matter how much I played with the knobs. And all of the effects just mudded up the sound even more. When I first joined a band and used it, I would have to crank it to max, while everyone else turned their amps down. Not only that, the volume would cut significantly after playing it for about 20 minutes at max. Sold it for my second amp, a Peavey Transtube, never had these problems again. And I am by no means saying a Transtube is the holy grail of tone either. It's just a middle of the road amp that sounds 10 times better than a Spider. I would never buy a Line 6 product again after that experience. I mean, I got a Mesa now, so why the hell would I want one anyway..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by HavokStrife at Jan 5, 2014,
Outside of the solid state Spiders, Line 6 has a lot of good products.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
for the record, i am sitting next to a spider 15 on my desk. why i bought it? didnt know what i was doing. do i regret it? sort of.

the good is that its a fairly usable headphone practice amp and it sits on my desk. honestly, the cleans are good. i like a solidstate, roland jazz chorus style clean every once in a while. i think the omre distorted you get, the worse it wounds. pretty common with solid state amps. the effects? total garbage. useless.

i just bought studio headphones, and a new carvin, and the amp actually sounds soooo much better through quality headphones opposed to $15 dollar sony garbage headphones, and a carvin not an epiphone.

.....but, i would NEVER bring this thing on stage. never. most of the time i see people on stage with one, they sound bad.

last weekend i saw a band on the wild wing tour in charleston SC, lead guitarist playing a spider series. it really wasnt that great of tone. but honestly, with his effects, he pulled off an acceptable tone. my freind was there who is also one of the best musicians i know came over and said, "really, he doesnt sound bad through that garbage amp." goes to show that playing skill can overcome a lot.

however, the drunk people in the crowd really dont know the difference.

_____

CONVERSELY - in raleigh NC i witnessed a small band that literally blew my mind harder than any band ive seen ever, at any level famous or not. the guitarist literally had me drooling as if chilli peppers / John Friscante played a personal show for only me.

...and he was rocking boutique everything. port city cabs and amps, top notch effects. the crowd probably didnt know, but i was literally having an orgasm. his skills were insane, and histone was better.

so yes, it matters. to what degree and if it is worth i suppose is all variable.
____

back on topic - i think if you search around you can find a competitive product that is equal or better than line 6 products for almost any price. ive never used their pro audio gear, so i speak mostly for guitar specific items.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Robbgnarly
Says the guy with a 333XL or should I call it what it really is, a JSX clone

yeah ik my 333xl is totally a MODELING amp, you know..like those things i was talking about in my post..and how a non MODELED amp is always better.

oh and yeah i REALLY wanted a JSX clone as well…considering i pulled the el34's and swapped them for 6l6s so i could get away from the JSX sound, hell you wanna buy it? im trying to get rid of it.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by OurRequiem
yeah ik my 333xl is totally a MODELING amp, you know..like those things i was talking about in my post..and how a non MODELED amp is always better.

oh and yeah i REALLY wanted a JSX clone as well…considering i pulled the el34's and swapped them for 6l6s so i could get away from the JSX sound, hell you wanna buy it? im trying to get rid of it.

Sounds like a nerve was hit...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by OurRequiem

that's good stuff.

you can tell he is actually mad by the capitalized words. that is not modeled anger, that is the real thing... and the real thing is always better, IMO
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by OurRequiem

Your rationale was you prefer the real thing, not an emulation. Well... I mean...

I get what you are getting at, I'm sure Rob was just screwing with you. Relax dude thus isn't the pit :p
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Plenty of pros use Line 6 products, they just don't use their solid state Spiders - and rightly so.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gumbilicious
that's good stuff.

you can tell he is actually mad by the capitalized words. that is not modeled anger, that is the real thing... and the real thing is always better, IMO

made me spit out my beer
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20