I'm in a bit of a strange position. I live in Wisconsin, where as you can guess, it's freezing outside. Tonight it's supposed to get down to about -30, and it isn't even a particularly cold day relative to the last week. However, I live in an upstairs apartment. All the heat from the other two apartments rises, so it actually ends up getting really warm up here (we have no control over the heat up here). I've had every window in the house open and still been sweating. My landlady said we can't have windows up here open anymore because it causes the heating bill to rise (we don't pay it). I'm not really sure what to do now; this apartment becomes a sauna with all the windows closed.

Other than an endless chain of fans, what can I do to cool down the apartment without pissing off my landlady?
Go naked and then then rent your room out as a sauna. Use that money to get a new apartment.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
If the heat generated by the other appartments is enough to make your place as sweaty as a fat man's intergluteal cleft, then I'm pretty sure it's not your open windows that are causing the heating bill to rise.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
If the heat generated by the other appartments is enough to make your place as sweaty as a fat man's intergluteal cleft, then I'm pretty sure it's not your open windows that are causing the heating bill to rise.

This.
By default, it's always hotter in an upstairs apartment. Whatever it takes to make the downstairs apartments reasonable will pretty much always make an upstairs apartment excessively warm without the intervention of open windows/AC.
Quote by WCPhils
buy an air conditioner....
That would have the same effect on the heating bill as opening up all the windows, I believe, with the added bonus of paying to run the AC.
Quote by herby190
By default, it's always hotter in an upstairs apartment. Whatever it takes to make the downstairs apartments reasonable will pretty much always make an upstairs apartment excessively warm without the intervention of open windows/AC.

No. If there is no heating in the upstairs appartment then it should not be getting warmer than the layer directly below it just by heat transfering upwards. The only way that can happen is if there is very poor isolation between the two floors, or if your downstairs neighbours are excessively heating their place. In this case it's probably the first, which means that if your landlady wants to lower her bill then she should get the place properly isolated.

Last edited by the bartender at Jan 5, 2014,
Tell your land lady you won't do it again. Then do it anyway. She's not charging for heat. That's her fault, her problem.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Just put a fan in front of the open window(s). That's what my wife and I do in our bedroom, since it gets really warm up there during the winter.

It's also really cheap.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Just put a fan in front of the open window(s). That's what my wife and I do in our bedroom, since it gets really warm up there during the winter.

It's also really cheap.

So it's true what they say about marriage.

Quote by the bartender
So it's true what they say about marriage.

Trust me. It's not really cheap.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Miami's been slipping a while, I'd say choose another team
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Jackal58
Trust me. It's not really cheap.

I was actually referring to the lack of sexual intercourse.

Quote by snipelfritz
Tell your land lady you won't do it again. Then do it anyway. She's not charging for heat. That's her fault, her problem.

This was my initial reaction, but I'm not really sure who has the legal ground to tell the other to **** off. Wisconsin seems to be the only state that doesn't have statewide laws for renting, and finding legal information for cities/counties is never a fun time.

Quote by MakinLattes
Get heat stroke and sue her.
Working on it.

Quote by bradulator

I take care of people with mental disorders for a living. One has OCD, and because of him, I've seen this episode dozens of times. I have no idea why that joke is still funny to me.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Miami's been slipping a while, I'd say choose another team

Will do.
Quote by the bartender
I was actually referring to the lack of sexual intercourse.

Quote by Dreadnought
Dreadnought seems to disagree.
Quote by herby190

As much as that sounds like it makes sense, as someone who's lived in a lot of top floor rooms, I can tell you it's really not true.

In any case though, if heat rises, you're not going to be getting hotter than the rooms below. They'd have to be giving more heat upwards than is actually heating the room, which I find hard to believe.
I think your landlady should go downstairs and tell your neighbors to turn down the heat, they're the core of the issue not you.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by herby190
Dreadnought seems to disagree.

+1

It's warm because of our extreme sex, not some silly heating unit.
My God, it's full of stars!
Have you tried talking to your land lady, or the other occupants?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by the bartender
No. If there is no heating in the upstairs appartment then it should not be getting warmer than the layer directly below it just by heat transfering upwards. The only way that can happen is if there is very poor isolation between the two floors, or if your downstairs neighbours are excessively heating their place. In this case it's probably the first, which means that if your landlady wants to lower her bill then she should get the place properly isolated.

You mean insulation. And no, it's not because of poor insulation it's because people are ridiculously overheating the apartments below him. If the heating bill is too high to compensate high temperatures with an open window then I'm pretty sure someone's using too much heat.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by bifteksupernova
You mean insulation. And no, it's not because of poor insulation it's because people are ridiculously overheating the apartments below him. If the heating bill is too high to compensate high temperatures with an open window then I'm pretty sure someone's using too much heat.
To be fair, we've had a window open in every room up here, so a lot of heat was probably being lost. More importantly though, how was Sigur Ros' new album? Your avatar reminded me that I need to check it out.

Edit: Nevermind, I just remembered that that's the fox from Daisy, not the Sigur Ros album.
Last edited by herby190 at Jan 5, 2014,
One way or another essentially all of the hot air they are making trying to heat their own apartments is ending up in your apartment. Its natural for heat to rise so this is inevitable to some degree, but if its that hot then there is an issue.

Apparently you don't have your own separate heating system, so start with closing every vent you can. If they don't close get new ones that do.

Then the next time you pay rent, take out how much you paid to fix it and give her the receipts with the rest of the rent. You have no responsibility to invest in her house.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by herby190
To be fair, we've had a window open in every room up here, so a lot of heat was probably being lost. More importantly though, how was Sigur Ros' new album? Your avatar reminded me that I need to check it out.

Edit: Nevermind, I just remembered that that's the fox from Daisy, not the Sigur Ros album.

It's funny because I've never heard Sigur Ros but downloaded some a few days ago and haven't listened to it haha, I'm going to now
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Whatever, I'm done trying to help. I live in Wisconsin and pay for heat and freeze my ass off all the time now. So suck it up you baby.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by bifteksupernova

which could be necessary because too much heat is getting lost due to a lack of insulation .

wait a minute, I'm not sure how the heating bill will rise if you have your window open? I mean, if you don't turn the heating on which I'm assuming you don't, do your downstairs neighbors go "oh looks like herby190 opened his windows, better crank up the ****ing heating, go pacs!" Does having your windows open magically make the downstairs apartments a fridge to where they crank the heater up? your landlady sounds like a dumbass, but then again I've never lived in a two story apartment before but I don't know if that fact matters, plus I feel like this point I'm making makes no sense cause I'm really tired haha.
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by deadsmileyface
Open the windows anyway. How is she gonna know?

Eyes.
Quote by the bartender
which could be necessary because too much heat is getting lost due to a lack of insulation .

Yes, but if TS's flat is hotter than his downstairs neighbours', then TS's flat would lose heat to the downstairs flats. Unless the people downstairs actually feel comfortable with temperatures higher than the ones in TS's flat.
Quote by sickman411
Yes, but if TS's flat is hotter than his downstairs neighbours', then TS's flat would lose heat to the downstairs flats. Unless the people downstairs actually feel comfortable with temperatures higher than the ones in TS's flat.

The downwards heat transference would be much less than the upwards transference though, because heat primarily travels upwards. Even if his place gets hotter than their place, the transference downwards would never exceed the transference upwards if there is no additional heating in his flat.

But insulation wouldn't affect the heat transfer upwards because heat is transferred upwards because of the movement of air (natural convection). And the air doesn't travel through the floor/ceiling.
Open your windows. Honestly, just **** it. Maybe the reason the bills are so high is because the people below crank the ****ing heat for no reason. They may have to be introduced to the concept of warmer clothing.