Ok so I own a Deluxe Reverb and a Vox VT20+. I'm starting to grow sick of the Vox because it's fairly muddy and I don't lie the tone anymore. It's fairly digital sounding. I want to invest in a small tube amp for around $400 or less. I believe I can use the Deluxe as a cab so it could be a amp head. I've played the Vox AC4C1 and I really liked the gain and volume, but it was a 10 inch speaker, and chords on it could have been clearer. I was wondering how tube sounding the Vypyr Tube is? I like having options but I don't want any modeling amp that doesn't sound authentic. I play blues, classic rock, and heavier stuff but I have a few overdrive pedals and a good metal distortion.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Yea I like the Vox AC4 too. Great little amp. You could get the head only too if you prefer using the Deluxe as a cab.
Would that solve the muddiness?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Ermm .......... what's wrong with the Deluxe?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Too much headroom. Way too much headroom. I don't have a lot of space and it takes a lot to get there. Whereas the Vox, for example, was the perfect volume.
Quote by chip46
Just push it harder. A good boost will cost you a lot less.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well I have good overdrive pedals but the volume it takes to break up is too loud.
Quote by chip46
The way to do it (how I run my JTM45 when I want to be quiet) is keep the amp volume down and push the preamp with a pedal or three. I get plenty of useable preamp distortion for the task. I mean if you are playing that quietly it's just for you isn't it? You should be able to get plenty of distortion without relying on power amp distortion.
Or is the problem that you have trouble controlling the volume at low levels because Fender have done their asinine practice of using linear pots for volume?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Both really. I just want an authentic blues tone and the volume for the Deluxe to switch from bright to warm is high
Quote by chip46
If it was me I'd probably just add a PPIMV, well as long as it was out of warranty of course. Would still be preamp distortion but would probably deliver what you need close enough.

But first I'd make sure I had a log pot in the thing. Replace that and you probably wouldn't even need the PPIMV.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't understand. I'm also GAS'ing super hard for Marshall tone.
Quote by chip46
If you have a linear volume pot it will make it very hard to use at low volume, that's why everybody else uses log pots. With a linear pot if you start driving the preamp hard with pedals it makes the volume knob a total bitch at low volumes.

A PPIMV is a "post phase inverter master volume." Basically a stereo pot between the phase inverter and the power tubes. It effectively becomes the master volume and current volume knob becomes the gain knob.

Replacing the volume knob and adding a PPIMV is a common thing to do on Deluxes. It makes them much easier to live with.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ohhhh. so a modified master volume. Yeah I could roll with that. But how much can I minimize it by before it affects my tone?
Quote by chip46
Well it will never sound the same as when you crank it to get power tube distortion but it will get you quite a nice sound. If you do it right, having the PPIMV dimed will sound identical to having no MV at all. Turned down, the proportion of preamp vs power amp is different (more preamp) to running the amp stock and cranked but still a good sound nonetheless. It is a compromise but quite a decent one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the 22watters are''nt that loud for breakup. i am acquaintances (we are on a first name basis) with a quickly rising blues musician (Damon Fowler) . he just uses a DRRI just about every time yea its mic'd but stage volume is definitely pretty close.

I generally don't like attentuaters but maybe iit would fix part or your problem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd be very surprised if simply changing the volume pot wasn't enough to make it useable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'd be very surprised if simply changing the volume pot wasn't enough to make it useable.

if that was the only problem that would be great.

Cath what is your opinion on an attnentuator in his position?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
It's not a bad solution but his main problem seems to be that when he boosts it he can't control it - that's the volume pot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No it's not so much the boost as the need to turn it up a lot to get warmth. I also can't get over my Marshall GAS.
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Jan 6, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
It's not a bad solution but his main problem seems to be that when he boosts it he can't control it - that's the volume pot.

yea. i have soldered and unsoldered PCB mounted pots, but isn't the easiest thing to with no experience but if the OP wants to do it that would best off if his has that .

THERE ARE LETHAL CURRENT PRSESMT EVEM AFTER IT IS UNPLUGGED.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Where are you? There are a few small Marshall options, but which way to go depends on your location really. Might be worth getting 311 to do one of his famous gear searches.
Although, loading your amp up with JJ's and using a carefully dialled in EQ may get you close enough. It's never gonna sound like an 18W'er or even a Class 5 really but you should be able to get something acceptable.
Changing newer Fender pots is a pita, as trashed said, but I'd do it regardless. Linear volume pots are moronic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sorry for the bump. I''m in the Hampton Roads area, Virginia. I REEALLLY want a class 5.
Quote by chip46
If you really want a Class 5 then just make it happen. They are cool amps.

I see a Peavey Classic 30 on your craigslist but not much else.

This maybe:
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/4247148939.html VHT 18 combo
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/4259604233.html These Tweakers are pretty cool too.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/4246569841.html Laney AOR 30 - never seen one but pretty much marshall tones
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/4250520450.html DSL15 - a bit sketchy

I think you were also asking about the Vypyr tube amps. I own one if have any questions. They are kind of in a different ballpark but nice none the less.
Out of those I think I'd grab the Tweaker.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification