Hello,
A few months ago I purchased a peavey bandit 75 (1x12 combo) as a backup practice/bedroom amp, but lately my curiosity has been wondering about trying to slave the power section of my primary amp, which is a jcm 800 (2 channel 2x12 combo) to it's preamp. I have never looked much into slaving so I have a few things I just want to run by all you knowledgeable folk.

I would connect a cable running from one amp's pre amp out into the other amps fx loop return. The master amp (with the cable running from its pre-amp out) would be running the power and pre amp section, where as the amp being slaved (the amp with the cable going into its fx loop return) would only be running its power section. Correct?

I do not have an attenuator and am not looking to spend hundreds on one. Is this safe to do without one? Is it completely safe to do even with an attenuator? Haven't heard specifics, but some people around the internet make it seem like slaving can be harmful toward power sections and the last thing I want is to harm either amp.
Last edited by andyhatescrass at Jan 5, 2014,
Quote by andyhatescrass
Hello,
A few months ago I purchased a peavey bandit (1x12 combo) as a backup practice/bedroom amp, but lately my curiosity has been wondering about trying to slave the power section of my primary amp, which is a jcm 800 (2 channel 2x12 combo) to it's preamp. I have never looked much into slaving so I have a few things I just want to run by all you knowledgeable folk.

I would connect a cable running from one amp's pre amp out into the other amps fx loop return. The master amp (with the cable running from its pre-amp out) would be running the power and pre amp section, where as the amp being slaved (the amp with the cable going into its fx loop return) would only be running its power section. Correct?

I do not have an attenuator and am not looking to spend hundreds on one. Is this safe to do without one? Is it completely safe to do even with an attenuator? Haven't heard specifics, but some people around the internet make it seem like slaving can be harmful toward power sections and the last thing I want is to harm either amp.

you have some concepts of slaving smeared with other concepts.

slaving, in more historical context, means you have a master amp that is a normal amp. like your jcm 800. the master amp would have a preamp out that you would then send to a 'slave' power amp. you would then have your normal amp playing with a cabinet or two and also have the slave power amp playing through it's own speaker cabinets.

this allows you to become louder when playing larger venues without having to run multiple conventional preamp/poweramp amplifiers. you usually find this option on older amps, i am most familiar with Orange doing this kinda thing.

you seem to want to get the opposite effect. it sounds like you want to run the preamp of your JCM800 into the power section of you bandit so it won't be so loud. i am not sure if there is a specific name for that exactly, but the process would be very similar to 'slaving'.

i am unsure of your model of jcm800 but it seems like the 2203 came with a series effects loop. the peavey bandit also seems to have an effects loop.

so what you'd do is pretty much what you stated, you'd run the FX out on the jcm800 and run it into the FX return on the bandit. this should allow you to run the jcm800's pre amp through the bandit's power amp.

i don't know of anything that would effect the power amps of either amp in a negative way. to be on the safe side just make sure you don't disconnect the speaker on the jcm800, the power amp usually wants to see a speaker load there
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
What are you trying to accomplish?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by gumbilicious

you seem to want to get the opposite effect. it sounds like you want to run the preamp of your JCM800 into the power section of you bandit so it won't be so loud. i am not sure if there is a specific name for that exactly, but the process would be very similar to 'slaving'.

I'm not necessarily doing it for less volume, but more out of pure curiosity to know what the Bandit's pre-amp section, combined with a tube power section would sound like. I may end up trying it vice versa, that was just my initial thought.
Quote by andyhatescrass
I'm not necessarily doing it for less volume, but more out of pure curiosity to know what the Bandit's pre-amp section, combined with a tube power section would sound like. I may end up trying it vice versa, that was just my initial thought.

ah, so i had it backwards. you plan on using the jcm800 power amp and the bandit preamp. i made quite a number of assumptions in my post.

everything still applies of course.

-ae
Running the bandit fx out into fx return of your jcm800 is essentially using them like rack equipment. Separate pre and power amps. There should be no harm done as long as you are using jcm800 as power amp because it requires a load attached.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
So if I go from the Bandit's "fx loop send" to the 800's "fx loop return" with my guitar cable and guitar going into the Bandit's input. Is only the Bandit's speaker going to be moving air? Or will the 800's speaker be moving air too?
Last edited by andyhatescrass at Jan 5, 2014,
Quote by andyhatescrass
So if I go from the Bandit's "fx loop send" to the 800's "fx loop return" with my guitar cable and guitar going into the Bandit's input. Is only the Bandit's speaker going to be moving air? Or will the 800's speaker be moving air too?

depends on how the effects loop is wired. i think they are both a series loop, i won't go into a long description on how those work/respond i am just stating it as an assumption i am making.

guitar -> bandit -> bandit FX send -> jcm800 FX return -> jcm800 speakers

but based on that only the jcm800's speaker should be producing sound.

-ae
And the race is on. Which preamp is better - a 2210 or a Bandit?

Tbh, I think it will be too close to call.

I hope my life never gets that bleak.
Buck up boy, life can get better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Shots fired!

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
And the race is on. Which preamp is better - a 2210 or a Bandit?

Tbh, I think it will be too close to call.

I hope my life never gets that bleak.
Buck up boy, life can get better.

well ouch..

Aside from neither preamp being the greatest or highly regarded, I would think that both would sound very different from eachother...
Last edited by andyhatescrass at Jan 6, 2014,
I hear that cat shit tastes different to dog shit too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

it does

-ae
Quote by Cathbard

This is rude. Get out of this thread if you are going to give advice with such a snobby tone of voice.
Chill out, man. I'm just joking. I waited until you got your answer before I started yanking your chain.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
And we are still waiting the results how it sounds like. Peavey "transtube" preamp through a tube power section might provide some interesting results.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Just got around to doing this yesterday. The 800 is a 2x12 combo with two celestion lead 80's in it, those combined with the peavey preamp section added more bass and depth, rather than a flatter, more mid-focused clean channel. The power section gave a more dynamic, tube-esque picking response. I enjoyed the crap out of it honestly and didnt even bother trying the distortion channel. It was incredibly loud. Only turned the volume up about a quarter of the way.
so now you should try the distortion channel and also try the 800's preamp through the bandit's power section.

-ae
Dime the sucka. The only good part of a 2210 is the power amp and it sounds best dimed. Trust me, **** the neighbours.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification