Since I started playing guitar I am always looking around for tones or guitars I like. I own a PRS SE EG (SSS) and a Fender 72 Telecaster deluxe reissue at the moment who I both really love. I'm considering buying a 3rd good guitar but I'm getting really lost now. My first thought was to look around for a guitar that will complement my current collection so I can cover most of the sound spectrum. With that in mind I set a budget of around €700 and started looking around. I didn't like most p90's equipped guitar and because I own a SSS PRS and a HH Tele I thought some kind of darker sounding guitar would be a nice addition. I did tons of research and discovered most Gibsons are not for me. I tested a Fret-King Standard Eclat and it was a quality guitar. However, I didn't have the feeling 'YESSS, this will be my next guitar' so I didn't end up buying it. I kept my eyes open and somehow I saw the following video and the tone you'll hear at 3:52-4:00 was something I had in mind. I really liked it. However, after that the tones gets dirtier. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdU1ITvkzI

I did some more research and it definitely could be a winner. Unluckily they are (almost) not available in Holland but it isn't insuperable.

Then another problem occurred. I was speaking with some other guitarists and a couple of them have multiple guitars with a similar tone (multiple Ibanez, multiple Jaksons) because it is just what they are looking for (they do play metal and hard rock tho, so the clean sound is less important). That made me think… I wondered if it isn't a better idea to upgrade my PRS SE EG. Originally I am a Strat guy and I'm playing on a €400 euro SSS guitar now. The other hand is that I really love that guitar so there is not a real need to upgrade it.

I'm checking out a lot of guitar players right now to find out what tone I'm really after, but the more guitar players I check out the more I get lost. For example I do like the tones and playing style of SRV (strat) and Gary Moore (lp). Currently I'm checking out tons of Gary Moore stuff and I think he is awesome. A darker sounding HH guitar would cover that sound so maybe I should stick to my initial plans.

For what it's worth: I'm playing through a Blackstr HT5R combo at home or with headphones plugged into my Boss BR800. I'm trying to start my first band right now. I do like Blues, Rock, Soul and do like a melodic playing style and really put my soul in the guitar.

I do think I could use a guitar with a tremolo tho, however if I find the guitar I'm looking for without term, it's fine too... Oh gosh I'm lost in this beautiful hobby, things could be worse
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Jan 6, 2014,
I just got a LP studio 2014 and maybe you should go to a store and try out a bunch of them if possible. That guitar will give you that darker HB tone you're looking for plus it has coil split making it very versatile and will nail those tones you're looking for. Another option is a coil split PRS SE. But I think you should save more for the LP and spend a lot of time in a guitar store until you find something you like.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
I own a F-K Super 60HB, and have a few others on my list, but not the Eclat. You might want to take a look at the Esprit 5.

Take a look at Hagstrom. Good, affordable guitars- the Tremar Deuce F would let you tick off the tremolo box while also adding a doublecut semihollow to your stable.

You should also see if you can find Godins and/or Reverends. Godin makes all of its guitars in Canada, and deliver a lot of quality for the price. Their Strat & LP style guitars are as good as anyone's and better than most. Favorites for me include their Freeway, Velocity (recently discontinued), xtSA, 5th Avenue CW Kingpin and Belmont.

Reverend is a US company that manufactures in S.Korea. Their visual aesthetic is a unique quasi-retro that is love or hate for most. Tonally, they're very flexible. Quality is good and cnsistent. A frequent saying you'll hear from Rev owners is "Sounds like an LP, plays like a Strat."

Electra is another company I'm a fan of. They're new- well, they're a US relaunch of a Japanese brand- and also made in SK. Again, quality is high, tones are good. Right now, they only offer a couple of LP-type designs, but that is supposed to change in 2014.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I own a F-K Super 60HB, and have a few others on my list, but not the Eclat. You might want to take a look at the Esprit 5.

Take a look at Hagstrom. Good, affordable guitars- the Tremar Deuce F would let you tick off the tremolo box while also adding a doublecut semihollow to your stable.

You should also see if you can find Godins and/or Reverends. Godin makes all of its guitars in Canada, and deliver a lot of quality for the price. Their Strat & LP style guitars are as good as anyone's and better than most. Favorites for me include their Freeway, Velocity (recently discontinued), xtSA, 5th Avenue CW Kingpin and Belmont.

Reverend is a US company that manufactures in S.Korea. Their visual aesthetic is a unique quasi-retro that is love or hate for most. Tonally, they're very flexible. Quality is good and cnsistent. A frequent saying you'll hear from Rev owners is "Sounds like an LP, plays like a Strat."

Electra is another company I'm a fan of. They're new- well, they're a US relaunch of a Japanese brand- and also made in SK. Again, quality is high, tones are good. Right now, they only offer a couple of LP-type designs, but that is supposed to change in 2014.

Thanks Danny, as always! I preferably test a guitar myself and a lot of the brands you name are difficult to find here other than online. I do like your options tho, quality and sound are standing above 'brand' in the ranking. I did check out Hagstrom but I didn't find the one. Also, the tremolo was placed in a way that I couldn't place my hand well. The only Hagstrom option is the Pat Smear signature model but I don't know how it performs clean. You gave me some new stuff to check out, thanks for that!!
...a lot of the brands you name are difficult to find here other than online

A lot of the brands I name are difficult to find anywhere!

Part of that is that many are small. Some are young. Some are simply flying under the radar. I don't remember when I first found Godin, but once I started looking, I found used ones all over the place...at silly prices. They were often $100+ cheaper than comperable Fenders. (I didn't buy any, more the fool, I.). Why? Name recognition.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 6, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

A lot of the brands I name are difficult to find anywhere!

Part of that is that many are small. Some are young. Some are simply flying under the radar. I don't remember when I first found Godin, but once I started looking, I found used ones all over the place...at silly prices. They were often $100+ cheaper than comperable Fenders. (I didn't buy any, more the fool, I.). Why? Name recognition.

Yeah funny enough! When I mentioned the name Fret-King to some people here they reacted like this:
Ah well, at least I have nice stuff to do know besides studying and playing
Yeah- I'm in Texas, and 99% of Fret-King's USA dealers are on the East Coast. And most of those sellers only sell the high-end models. I ordered mine directly from a store in London. I think they'd do well here, but it is hard to break into a new market.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 6, 2014,