Getting very annoyed with my amp and have been considering a couple options of either trading it for a new amp, getting rid of all of my pedals and going back to a modeling amp, or getting rid of an amp entirely and using a POD HD.

If i were to go the route of the pod (most likely the floor board model), what type of speakers would I use with it?
you can get amps made for them, very flat sounding SS. They cost as much as a real amp though, forget about house PA's really, hit or miss IMO
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 5, 2014,
So i'm assuming that the general consensus then is that its really not worth doing?
Quote by andrerist
Getting very annoyed with my amp and have been considering a couple options of either trading it for a new amp, getting rid of all of my pedals and going back to a modeling amp, or getting rid of an amp entirely and using a POD HD.

If i were to go the route of the pod (most likely the floor board model), what type of speakers would I use with it?

yer still gonna need an amp, it's what makes the signal powerful enough to drive the speakers.

line 6 makes a DT amp that is optimized to run with the pod HD. you can change the operations and settings of the amp to more effectively emulate particular amps. like changing class operation and the such.

or you could just get a solid state power amp and hook it up to some speakers. i'd probably use some full range PA speakers.

another option, especially if you are just playing in your bedroom, is to get some flat response studio monitor speaker and let the pod HD take care of all the cab emulation and amp modeling.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
What amp do you currently have, what don't you like about it, what kind of music do you play and what is your budget for getting a new amp?
Dicey to go ampless. You'd have to rely on a PA in a live band setting. Not impossible, but can get a little complicated. I always feel like I gotta have a head and cabinet available. Although, I've been looking to go with 2- 2x12's split onstage in stereo. One to leave in the band room, one to take back and forth for home practice. Maybe I'll actually do it one day. Think it would be great. So many times, in a live setting, bars, clubs etc.. Unless the guitars are miked through the PA depending where you are in the room one guitar has much more presence than the other. 2-2x12's split with an amp from each guitarist on each side, I think that could be the bomb!
Quote by hyper5
What amp do you currently have, what don't you like about it, what kind of music do you play and what is your budget for getting a new amp?

using a vht special 6 ultra that i've posted about thousands of times here. Cant figure out whats wrong with it. Obnoxious noise issues. And my budget is as low as possible. I just don't like not having foot switchable channels and it has a 2band eq. Sounds good but needs to be loud and pushed for it to sound good.

If i got a new amp it would be a used 6505+ combo which i've found for around $400. So i'd trade my current amp and then have to scrounge up the difference. Was also considering an HT5 because it really is only home use that I use it for with the occasional jam with a couple friends.
If you do go this route get a nice foldback wedge to go with it just for your guitar. Don't rely on the sound guy for your monitoring, that's just asking for trouble. You need control over your own onstage sound.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by andrerist

Easiest would be a powered full-range speaker something like the Carvin PM12A or PM15A.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/PM15A
$319
These work on stands, sitting on the floor, set up like a monitor wedge, etc. Very easy to schlep around to practice, etc.
400W RMS internal amp, 37 lbs, etc. and can be used with a powered subwoofer if you really want a lot of bottom end.
Since these also function as PA type speakers, this is a great way to set up your personal presets and set lists.

If it's mostly just for home listening in a relatively small room, a set of recording monitors like the KRK Rokit 8's would work well. The Gen2 versions were being closed out a month or two ago at around $150 or less each. There's also a subwoofer available for those, but the 8's do pretty well on bass if you're listening in the 6' - 8' range.