I currently have a MG100HDFX which I want to sell and replace with a tube amp. I've narrowed it down to a Marshall DSL100 or 40C, a Fender Twin Reverb, or a Fender Super-Sonic 22. I play mostly classic rock, but also funk and sometimes blues. I really like the distortion of the marshall, but I like the clean of the twin. The super-sonic seems to have both good clean and distorted tones, but I can't tell if I like its cleans as much as the Twin. Also, 22 watts doesn't seem like much. I usually play through my 100 watt half stack on 3 or 4 (I know its solid state but still). I also like using pedals a lot. As you can see I'm very confused. Any advice would be great!
I'd go with the Super Sonic, great amp! I passed one up not too long ago and regret it a lil. Very versatile for that kinda stuff. I was surprised by how much gain it seemed to have.

I would think, depending on your cab, it'll be louder than your mg.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 5, 2014,
The 22 would be loud enough for most people. Depends on the cab/speakers you'd be using too.
Few amps tough the Twin for cleans, but I think the supersonic is a very good amp and the versatility is probably worth it. The DSL doesn't have half bad cleans but if they're not right for you then there's no point considering one.

Take a look at the 60 and 100 watt supersonic models, those will have plenty of headroom and will sound closer to a twin than the 22 watter.
Will the right distortion pedal ever make the Twin sound as good as a Marshall? With the DSL I'm getting decent cleans and great distortion, whereas the Twin has great cleans and no distortion, so I feel like its not as useable.

The 60 watt supersonic would be great, but its too expensive. I don't want to spend more than $1000 (I'd be buying the Twin used if I got one).
Twins take pedals well. It won't ever sound exactly like a Marshall but there are loads of pedals out there that specifically emulate the Marshall sound, so you should have no problem getting a good OD out of a twin if you're willing to use a pedal or two. It's a lot harder to squeeze a better clean sound out of an amp than it is to improve or add distortion.
Quote by Roc8995
It's a lot harder to squeeze a better clean sound out of an amp than it is to improve or add distortion.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I think I will just have to go down to GC and play all 3 of these amps for a while to really decide
I bet they'd let you plug a distortion pedal in, too, if you asked nicely. Most GCs have something like a Box of Rock or a Lovepedal Purple Plexi in stock, those are good Marshall in a Box type pedals. Good luck!