Hi !
I'm busy making up my rig gear, and I was looking after a delay pedal (I got an offer for a DD-3 for €50), as I did research about the sound I'm looking for, and I saw that most of the bands I'm listening to use to have a DD-3/DD-7 in their pedalboard. These bands are, for example, ADTR, ATL, Yellowcard, BMTH, Alkaline Trio, etc... (yeah, that's no original taste for a girl :p )
So I was wondering if (no trolling please, if you don't like these bands and you don't want to help me, you're not welcome to answer this thread ) they were using it "just" for doubling their tracks, and if so, is the change in sound worth the money ?
Thanx to you for reading, and maybe for answering, guys !

(sorry for my mistakes, i'm french )
Guitar : ESP Ltd EC-1000
Amp : Peavey Bandit 112
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use delay at all for most of their stuff. That kind of music is focused almost entirely on the rhythm guitar. Fast, highly distorted chords don't really sound good with delay. If they do use it on rhythm tracks, it's very subtly. They probably use it for leads and solos to add much more depth and richness to the lead tones. It makes a pretty substantial difference when used this way, and I would recommend it.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
i am just going to flat out say this first. when you ask for help is, give you detail in bands. i know groups of bands area known by any of their initials.

ADTR, ATL, , BMTH,

i don't know who they are. different people listen to different bands. i am also not going to search out every abbreviation. i don't listen to too much newer music.

please spell them out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by tas38
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use delay at all for most of their stuff. That kind of music is focused almost entirely on the rhythm guitar. Fast, highly distorted chords don't really sound good with delay. If they do use it on rhythm tracks, it's very subtly. They probably use it for leads and solos to add much more depth and richness to the lead tones. It makes a pretty substantial difference when used this way, and I would recommend it.

In fact I read that they used it on rhythm guitars, to double/duplicate their guitar sound, as to make it "fuller", not just on the leads (which aren't proeminent in these bands ^^)

aaaand
Quote by trashedlosfdup
i am just going to flat out say this first. when you ask for help is, give you detail in bands. i know groups of bands area known by any of their initials.

ADTR, ATL, , BMTH,

i don't know who they are. different people listen to different bands. i am also not going to search out every abbreviation. i don't listen to too much newer music.

please spell them out.

google it, instead of writing this message, you'll see that it's way quicker ! https://www.google.fr/search?q=adtr&rlz=1C1LENN_enFR488FR488&oq=adtr&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.1535j0j1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8 or https://www.google.fr/search?q=atl&rlz=1C1LENN_enFR488FR488&oq=atl&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l2j69i61j69i60l2.812j0j1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=atl+band or https://www.google.fr/search?q=bmth&rlz=1C1LENN_enFR488FR488&oq=bmth&aqs=chrome..69i57.1032j0j1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8
Because if you want to answer to me, you must know these bands, or at least how they sound, so if you don't know them at all, idk if you'll be able to help (no offense)
Look, here's a sample of songs in which there is the sound I like : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejw9pDVYvpM , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRTq_6jY_KM , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a9wJIhq2J8
(sorry if I sound rude, I don't mean to )
Quote by noma92
In fact I read that they used it on rhythm guitars, to double/duplicate their guitar sound, as to make it "fuller", not just on the leads (which aren't proeminent in these bands ^^)

aaaand

google it, instead of writing this message, you'll see that it's way quicker !
(sorry if I sound rude, I don't mean to )

i do not need to go through several google listings when you could have typed out 20 or however many letters to give the bands names their full names.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I know, but it was just to say that if you want to help, you can take time to google it up And do you have any idea of how delay can help me sounding "full" like this ?
Quote by noma92
I know, but it was just to say that if you want to help, you can take time to google it up And do you have any idea of how delay can help me sounding "full" like this ?

i am typing while i heard a little bit. its hard to hear ere (i am at my other house that doesn't have a good computer) it almost sounded like a dotted eighth on the picking during the scratch picking part of the second video. i could be off, but part of it is hitting the eighth at the same time in sync and having the other notes faling into the mix.

you would want a digital delay for sure if you are looking for precision. or at least an analog with tap tempo.

again i am just at an laptop i only listened until for two minutes or so.

for example (way off topic for a sec) if you listen to cowboys from hell with the repeated open notes it sounds like it gets thicker because i am kind of questing thta it is not a repeated delay while dime is playing it too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
So they (All Time Low, 2nd vid) may be using delay at something like 25ms, if I understand well ? (assuming they're playing at 100bpm)
basically using a delay under 30ms will make your sound BIG and moving up in rate will give you a quick slap from around 50ms-100ms. the classic slap-back delay you hear on johnny cash records is a slapback up near 100ms. If we think of a four part delay with an intial attack then repated decaying copies of the initial attack(or note) that diminishes over time(SLAP! slappp...slappp...slaaaaa...) that usually is 120ms and above and the number of repeats is determined by the pedals controls.
Look on good ol' youtube university thats where half of the things we learned in college are avalible, i'd be happy to look for some links that better explain how delay works and how to apply it, also **** spelling its 5 am where i am located.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Yeah, thanks for the explanations, but what I would like to be cleared about (wow, idk if this is grammatical ^^) but the part I would like to have more details about is
Quote by jwax
basically using a delay under 30ms will make your sound BIG

Is it that big ? Will it help me getting closer to the sounds I dig ?
Quote by noma92
Yeah, thanks for the explanations, but what I would like to be cleared about (wow, idk if this is grammatical ^^) but the part I would like to have more details about is
Is it that big ? Will it help me getting closer to the sounds I dig ?

honestly try out some delay pedals. if you can get to a music store, go try a digital one first so you can see time and adjust accordingly. i am 99% sure you are looking for a digital.

its hard to say in words what is more of a concept that you would need to mess around yourself to fully see reactions.

there are two other variables, decay and mix. if i use delay its generally to smooth things out, which means that i don't want to really to stick out. i also only use maybe 1 or two repeats.

so you have to know your length how many times and how obvious you want it to be.

i always liked the TC nova delay, haven't tried the (which i am assuming is being replaced by the four channel flashback. people seem to like it , but i haven't tried it personally so i have nothing to say about it. i would like to give one a test though.

i use and swear by the malekko 616, which is analog and not what you want, but IMO it is an awesome delay for certain uses. which for me is an awesome analog delay
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!