Hello UG.
I have owned an acoustic guitar for years but have just recently purchased a Les Paul Plus top Pro and a small Marshall amp with standard bass mid treble settings....can anyone please give me some idea of what kind of set up, guitar and amp wise I should try to get a nice warm blues tone to start me on my way.

Thanks

Andy
when you say "small marshall amp" you mean what exactly? an MG or a Class 5?

put all the knobs at half way, or noon, or straight up, whatever you want to call it. put the volume at 8/10.

how does that sound?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Trade the Les Paul for a Strat.

Trade the Marshall for a Fender.

There you have it.

You are welcome.

Next question, please.
Gibson into a tube Marshall is a classic blues tone. Beano, Gary Moore, ie brit blues. (Yeah, I know. Gary was Irish) but a Gibson into an MG is an insult to the guitar.
Clapton used a JTM45 on Beano and Gary used a JTM45 in the studio. Live, mainly DSL100's. Not all Marshalls are equal and their solid state ones are crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gregs1020
when you say "small marshall amp" you mean what exactly? an MG or a Class 5?

put all the knobs at half way, or noon, or straight up, whatever you want to call it. put the volume at 8/10.

how does that sound?

I have a MG15CD, thanks for the advice Greg
Quote by Cathbard
Gibson into a tube Marshall is a classic blues tone. Beano, Gary Moore, ie brit blues. (Yeah, I know. Gary was Irish) but a Gibson into an MG is an insult to the guitar.
Clapton used a JTM45 on Beano and Gary used a JTM45 in the studio. Live, mainly DSL100's. Not all Marshalls are equal and their solid state ones are crap.

An insult it maybe but it is a borrowed one until I can afford something a bit better haha. Any suggestions on what decent amps a Les Paul can go through and achieve a decent blues tone for around the £300-£500 mark. Im only a stay at home player so nothing big needed just solid enough for practice?

Thanks
Quote by drusey2008
An insult it maybe but it is a borrowed one until I can afford something a bit better haha. Any suggestions on what decent amps a Les Paul can go through and achieve a decent blues tone for around the £300-£500 mark. Im only a stay at home player so nothing big needed just solid enough for practice?

Thanks

If you mainly want a dirty blues tone, I'd go for a Class 5. As far as settings go, what Greg said.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yep.
A mustang 4 and a strat...$700ish
If you have MORE money...

a mustang special guitar (the right pickups) and twin reverb tube amp...$2200ish But a strat will work too (of course)

Quote by 5_Years_Dead
Trade the Les Paul for a Strat.

Trade the Marshall for a Fender.

There you have it.

You are welcome.

Next question, please.
fender mustang amp, 3 or 4 or 5 model.
it emultates fender tube amps very very well. the twin reverb is nice (a reissue tube model it's $1400 ish, a mustang 4 is $400ish)

The diff in sound isn't much, IMO. (compared twin reverb and mustang 5 over the weekend)
Might as well debate diff in sound on pick size/type or strings.

Quote by drusey2008

Thanks
I'd say a Mustang III or maybe IV.
The II isn't as convenient and the IV is a 2x12 combo, heavy as ****, but it will probably sound fuller.

To get a distorted blues tone out of a Class 5 would be nice, but mind that it gets loud as ****.
No wait, does the new version have a 1/4w setting?
If you don't mind playing at about the volume as someone screaming, go for it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 6, 2014,
Class 5
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Class 5

or maybe one of those slash SL-5 amps? could be another option.

and you're welcome.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 6, 2014,
Wait, wait, wait. When you say Les Paul Plustop Pro, you mean the Epiphone right? I wouldn't spend over $500 on an amp for an Epiphone, honestly.

BUT if you can swing it, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Have you looked into the Fender Blues Junior NOS?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-Series-Blues-Junior-NOS-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102321528-i1173592.gc
Last edited by johnturner9 at Jan 6, 2014,