I've been thinking lately, in case there's one guitarist in the band. Is it possible for a pedal for example that you strum a chord and then press the pedal. and that pedal sustains that chord while you play something else (let's say a lead part) for the rest of the bar. And then press it again to strum a new chord and so on?

Is there a pedal that can do that? and I've been thinking about buying the Line 6 POD HD500. Is there a way to program it to do something like that?

Thanks
you want a looper pedal. i don't know if the HD500 has that but i'm guessing somewhere it does. check the manual.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
EHX Freeze or EHX Superego, off the top of my head.

Edit: Oh yeah, you want a looper pedal (why did I not think that!)

No not a looper. If I am not mistaken, a looper repeats an entire part over and over again. What I want to do is to strum the chord and the pedal sustains it with one press while I play something else. I've looked up the Electro-Harmonix Freeze. It seems the right pedal for that situation. But my question now, can the Line 6 POD 500 do that?
Not sure, but I don't think a pod could do that.
I don't even think there's anything apart from the EHX freeze that could do that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Ahmed_Kamal
But my question now, can the Line 6 POD 500 do that?

so you can read posts but you can't read a manual?

^
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Ahmed_Kamal
No not a looper. If I am not mistaken, a looper repeats an entire part over and over again. What I want to do is to strum the chord and the pedal sustains it with one press while I play something else. I've looked up the Electro-Harmonix Freeze. It seems the right pedal for that situation. But my question now, can the Line 6 POD 500 do that?

Far as I know, the HD500 doesn't do that.
The Pod does not have a freeze. The Boss ME-25 does. Or of course you can just get one of the EHX pedals.
I think eventide space also does it. but if you're a pod guy then probably not for you
i get what you are saying about playing then, playing over that.. but in reality a looper would be eiaser to operate. play a "passage" then lead over that. or record all your rhythm tracks and just play to a click live. I feel people have perfected your idea already and made better easier products. IMHO..
Play better. Three piece is hard work but there's a knack to it. I've played a lot in trios and often find myself playing two guitar parts at once. It's mostly about arrangement. A good bass player is vital too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Silver77
i get what you are saying about playing then, playing over that.. but in reality a looper would be eiaser to operate. play a "passage" then lead over that. or record all your rhythm tracks and just play to a click live. I feel people have perfected your idea already and made better easier products. IMHO..

Yeah now that I know that there are some pedals that can actually record multiple passages and play them later. That sounds like the best idea and it seems the POD HD500 wouldn't do so I have to buy a separate looper pedal like Jamman or RC-50. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by Ahmed_Kamal

As far as i'm aware a POD cannot do that, it does have a 48 second looper built in.
Quote by AJScott
As far as i'm aware a POD cannot do that, it does have a 48 second looper built in.

damn that blows. at least a few minutes would be nice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
No, Im pretty sure PODs only have loopers. And even then, there are better ones then the POD.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I have the POD HD500 and it only has the looper. I think the default is 48second, but you can put it in half speed internal mode and double that time. There is no freeze.

Like others said, you might do better doing the regular looper route. I think it sounds more natural. If you get good, you can play a chord or two and hit the start, do the chord(s), then hit stop and it will sound like you're still playing (because you still get the pick/strum sound). Do your solos on top and then stop off right as you restart playing.

I used to have an old (but nice) Vesta Fire delay pedal that could do the hold and repeat forever. At that time, I could do what you're talking about, but it would have an obvious discontinuity where it looped back (even though it was short duration, it was still looping a sound snippet). So I could have it sustain a chord and solo over it, but it didn't sound natural at all. You might want to try out some different strategies in a store before investing.
The freeze is like a synth pad. It can fill out the sound while you are playing. It isn't as tricky as a looper to pull off in real time. Especially when playing with a band, which is not likely to sync up with the looper. Not to mention if you don't get the loop seamless or goof up on ending the loop.
48 seconds of loop doesn't sound like a lot, but for most purposes it's more than enough. The average loop I record is about 10-20 seconds.

The freeze is a better option, though, if all you're looking for is sustaining a single chord, playing over it and ending it at will.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jan 7, 2014,